Has anyone bought anything cool this summer/fall they plan to use for Winter Camping?

4:01 p.m. on October 21, 2010 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

I love camping all year.  Thank God, I live in a country that allows me to trurly experience all four seasons. 

I'm a bit of a 'gear freak', or whatever you call us these days...but I research a lot.  I like educating myself on new and innovative products.

So, this winter I'm putting aside the Thermarest ProLite 4 (Lg) and replacing it with the Exped SynMat 7 DLX.

I'm Excited!!!!

I'm certain the 'R' value difference in the new SynMat 7 will be great solo without the RidgeRest underneath...so I guess I'm also ditchn' the RidgeRest  *edit note above. 

Note: the SynMat is ever soooo slightly heavier than the ProLite 4 (PL 4) but the R-value is almost double, it is slightly larger in width and length. 

Side note:  The SynMat came with a perfectly sized stuff sac, and field-repair kit.  NEITHER of which come with The Thermarest ProLite 4! 

I am not casting rocks at the PL 4 it has been a good mat for over 5 years!  The Prolite was great in temps -35 celcius (-17 in the tent, where we slept).  However, I also used my old closed-cell foam RidgeRest underneath!

11:26 a.m. on October 22, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

Cre LED 3 watt headlamp.  This sucker is REAL bright, and easily converts to a camp light.  In the high setting the three AAA batteries last only about 5-6 hours, but extra batteries are little added weight to the pack. 

Ed

4:20 p.m. on October 22, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,071 forum posts

Shangri-la 1 tent IMG_0001.jpg

Very small Golite tent stuff sack! Becomes a fairly large 0ne person tent.

Shangri-la-1-tent.jpg

11:05 p.m. on October 22, 2010 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

BAG0012.jpg

I bought this Big Agnes Air Core Pad for comfort. It is going on top of my 3/4 inch foam pad. I should sleep a bit better I think.

12:17 a.m. on October 23, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,071 forum posts

Is that self-inflating or do you blow it up?

2:25 a.m. on October 23, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,259 forum posts

Is that self-inflating or do you blow it up?

Maybe Big Agnes pads are different than Thermarest ... but I bought a Prolite this summer ... and in my experience with it so far, the "self inflating" thing is mere marketing hype.

I don't store it compressed. But, still, when it comes time to use it, I need to manually inflate it.

It's no big deal... and I don't even care really ... it only takes a handful of puffs to get it inflated. But ... it's not "self inflating"...

11:24 a.m. on October 23, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,071 forum posts

If you are talking about Therm-a-Rest, they must have changed since the one I had in the early 2000s. Mine would self inflate, but I usually blew more air into it for more comfort.

I use a Ensolite pad again now. I've used them since the late 1970s. I got a Therm-a-Rest for christmas one year in 2001 and used it for 5 years, but replaced it with my old reliable ensolite pad again in 2006. Its light at about a pound and never loose's air. I prefer it over anything else.  And it cost me $10 new where I bought it in Springdale, Utah outside Zion Nat'l Park. That price has only doubled since I bought my first one in 1978 in Anchorage Alaska.

I used to use an air mattress in the mid 70s but on cold nights especially in the winter with snow it was generally harder to keep warm.

12:08 p.m. on October 23, 2010 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

You have to blow the big agnes up one up but you can't beat the comfort level. It is also very light. I don't know If I would use one without a 3/4 inch foam mat as any 1/4 sticker could poke a hole in it. I huff and puff and I am sleeping like a noisy bear. :)

7:46 p.m. on October 23, 2010 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
582 forum posts

DrReaper - i have the same big agnes pad. Just got it this summer. Another problem with them is that they don't insulate very well, but if you use them over the top of a plain 'ol closed cell foam pad...plus if you roll up the big agnes and put it in it's sack, it can go right inside the rolled up foam pad. Great combo. I used it last night during an overnight on a mountain in a storm, and slept like a baby.

4:25 a.m. on October 24, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
80 forum posts

solution.pngand Split30_Binding.jpgThey haven't arrived yet, but the man at the post office has my number to call me when they get here. He's sick of me hanging around.

As long as they get here before my Japan trip in Jan-March I'm not really fussed.

I bought some Feathered Friends tent booties too that my feet are looking forward to. I like that they have a shell and an inner to wear inside and outside the tent.

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply