Stove Parts or Make Your Own

6:47 p.m. on October 25, 2010 (EDT)
79 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

I have two Hank Roberts mini camp stoves. EFI was another name for them. Does any one know where to find parts to make a nipple to go on the stove? Can you go to a plumbing store and they cut one for you? I have searched for a nipple but no one sells the parts for camping stoves. This stove used the old style of butane canisters that the gov band years ago. The stoves have been useless since. I was thinking I could find a part to solder onto the old nipple. But where do you find the parts, or can they be made. No one will even tell me the thead size that I need. Can someone help. I need the threaded nipple that is connected to the stoves made today so that I can connect the existing butane lines to this stove. If I am not clear please write me. I need all the help I can get. Blacklabpupp

12:13 a.m. on October 26, 2010 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,765 forum posts

Someone used to make an adapter for these, but I think they quit doing so years ago. I know people love these things, but there are plenty of newer stoves that don't require an archeology degree to find parts for them.

I don't think the cartridges were banned, they just quit making them when more modern designs came along.

ps. No double posting, please.

7:56 a.m. on October 26, 2010 (EDT)
79 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Yes there are better stoves out there. I own several. But even outdoor types like to restore their equipment just like car buffs. My neighbor still drives a 68 Ford Mustang.  I guess he does not realize there are better cars available today. LOL

It is true the company that made the part no longer is in business. But someone out there has to know the thread size and who can make one. I dont have a clue if they are metric or fit american standard sizes.

I purchased my cans from old Montgomery Wards. I tried to collect as many cans as I could before their stock ran out. The manager is the one that told us the laws had been changed banning certain type of cans, and they would be allowed to sell their stock.  His information was that someone was badly burned and the laws/rules were changed. Between myself and a local fishing store, we cleaned out the place. I will say that those cans were dangerous. While fishing one evening I happened across a group useing one of the cans. The can got to hot and began spewing from the side of the nozzel and turned over the stove. It never happened to me but I am more inclined to believe the design of the stove was at fault. If they would have made a shield and wire stand I believe things would have worked better.

Hopefully someone has more ideas than I do. Sorry for the double post, when I placed the first one I realized I was in the wrong place. Hope no harm was done. All the best.

10:44 a.m. on October 26, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

Go to www.spiritburner.com and look up posts by chickenthief, he may have made an adapter.  He has made adapters for many of the bluet stoves and may have done for the Hank Roberts.  there is also a tutorial on how to modify a hank roberts to burn on new canisters.  DO ALL OF THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK, YOU ARE PLAYING WITH FIRE AND COMPRESSED GAS.

12:23 p.m. on October 26, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Hi blacklabpupp, I have a few extra of the adapters that were made by chickenthief. His adapter is designed to slip onto the needle on the Hank Roberts stove, then use a gas line(eBay item #180549657411) to attach it to any lindal valve canister(MSR, Primus, Snow Peak). I would be willing to let you have 1 or 2 of these adapters with or without the gas lines at my cost.

5:57 p.m. on October 26, 2010 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,765 forum posts

I'm not saying don't collect old gear-some of my gear is pretty ancient. Alan and Abman are big collectors.  My only issue is with something like the Roberts stove, why bother?  I like old cars too, but it's the same deal, the older they get, the harder it is to find parts. Nothing like going to the dealer and finding out you're buying the last piece of stock they have. Thanks to the Internet, that's not as big a problem as it was years ago.

9:39 p.m. on October 26, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,622 reviewer rep
5,396 forum posts

There is a new program on the History Channel that is a spinoff of the Pawn Kings series. The guy who does many of the restorations for the Las Vegas pawn shop has a business doing restorations of all sorts of things. The relevance here is that in one of the shows that ran last night, the owner of The Restoration Shop (I think that is the name of his shop) discussed the whole question of restoring items that collectors want and are seeking and the problem of finding or making replacement parts do that the car, motorcycle, classic bicycle, etc actually works again.

1:32 a.m. on October 27, 2010 (EDT)
79 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

I saw that show as well. I find it interesting. Not so sure about the owner being totally honest. Have you seen the stuff they sell at the auction houses?

A great deal of what he restores is not mainsteam store goods. Coke machines and such are pretty much commerical advertures and I can see why there are not parts available. As for automobiles, the after market is huge for the common vehicles. You can still build a Model T from parts. Besides there are documents for most parts to be remanufactored. I know of several tractor companies long gone but you can get bearing and other parts made right from the original drawings.

I cant see why the companies keep the threads for the stoves and other parts off the shelf.  I did find a shop that will take a look at it for me. But as he said I have never found the parts available and he has repaired several pieces of camping gear that broke down with no parts from the company and were only five years old. Coleman might be the worst and best at this game. The last time I checked their site for parts for a Peak 1 none were available.  I enjoy keeping my gear going. I dont always use modern gear went outdoors.  

2:13 a.m. on October 31, 2010 (EDT)
79 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

I want to thank abman47 and few others for their help in getting my ole Hank Roberts stoves going again.  I wonder how these just fell out of favor with the hiking  crowd.  Still a very small package for travel, and works with as  much vigor as the newest firecan stoves.  I carried mine in a pouch connected to my belt for the longest time.

I used a laser device to measure the temp and it is not much less than an almost new MSR. On propane, Coleman 1lb bottle, it was about the same.    On a mixture can the MSR was a better stove.  I put both to the test boiling water, which so many use as some sort of standard. The MSR came to a boil first on each fuel source.  But the HR was only seconds behind.  For now I am going to be using my ole HR.  While doing all this testing it brought to mind so many wonderful times and with great memories.  I can still smell the black berries we gathered along the way and cooked them in bisket mix over that stove. 

If you have one of these little stoves an want to part with it contact me. I could use another.  It would be a great help in getting my neighbor to stop asking me if I would sell it.  Thanks again folks.

December 25, 2014
Quick Reply