shoes failed today

10:05 a.m. on November 25, 2010 (EST)
299 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

My Targhee II mids failed me today.  The threads started to come off?  The reviews were correct.  I also have to say the shoe laces also failed which is not a big deal.  I will turn them in this weekend but would like some input about getting my next shoes.  I am Day Hiker and carry max. 20lb with me.  I like the Keen Targhee II Mid type of shoe.  I was thinking maybe Oboz Yellowstone II Hiking Boots or would value anyone else input.  Happy Turkey Day to all.  I think I'll by from REI again, but I'm not sure about getting Keen again, I did see the Keen PCT, but now I'm sure about this company.  I walk a min. of 6 miles weekends each day, and 3 miles weekdays.  The max distance will be 20 miles. I only used the shoes on the trail and during the week I use my work boots most of the time during my lunch time.  The shoes were never used on sidewalks, only on trails.

1:16 p.m. on November 25, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,307 forum posts

I have a pair of Keen Targhee boots I bought this summer ... and on my second or third hike the sole started to separate from the boot.  I haven't replaced them yet because I have real trouble finding boots that fit me well and are comfortable.... these do both.

I've been planning to just cement the sole back to the boot .. it's pretty pathetic to have to do this to a nearly new pair of boots though...

1:41 p.m. on November 25, 2010 (EST)
299 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

I know the feeling, no blisters and I would like not to break in new shoes.  I got around 400 miles on them. 

11:39 p.m. on November 25, 2010 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I just recently purchased the Keen Pyrenees. They are solid and I like them alot. I have abused them for a week and a half. I also have 2 pair of Asolos(pm 500/ tps 520s.) The Keen is a nkce boot. Fir what I have put them thru I do not question their durability at all. Def beefier than the Targhees.

8:23 a.m. on November 27, 2010 (EST)
299 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

I went to REI and tested some boots and look at replacement for Targhee II mid.  I paid 125.00 for these boots and they didn't think anything about taking them back, worth the price just for the warranty.  I tried other boots and found Merrell Phaser Peak waterproof fit great, and after about 20 minutes of wearing them I was sold.  I just want to get 1 year or 1000 miles from the boots if I can.  I'm happy if the boot cost me 15 cents a mile.

10:55 a.m. on November 27, 2010 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Lol. The Merrel is a nice boot. I wear Chameleon Stretch GTX on a regular basis. Pretty much my everyday go to shoe(slipper.) 1000 miles... That may be a stretch depending the terrain you encounter(the vibram sole compound seems a little soft imo on the light duty Merrels) Either way ya got a good boot for what ya paid. On the 15 cents/mile... For a boot in the $120-$140 range I would think that is acceptable. Just not for what I put boots through. Hope ya enjoy them, happy hiking.

1:52 p.m. on November 27, 2010 (EST)
299 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

Thanks, I don't know why I always figure by the mile.  I guess I'm cheap.  My work boots are 7 cents a mile.

2:04 p.m. on November 27, 2010 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

There is a substantial difference between cheap and getting the most bang for your buck. You did good with the Merrels. Good boot for the $ imo.

9:22 p.m. on November 30, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
55 forum posts

I love Keen and have owned and still own quite a few. The only time I have seen delamination is with a pair of Targhees and pair of flops. Both were well worn at work on concrete. Bad thing is they do not sale insoles seperately. Ecco or Superfeet are alright, but the old dogs like the originals better.

10:17 p.m. on November 30, 2010 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

Is there a reason your not sending them back to the manufacturer with a serious WTF? letter attached? To just hand over your money and do nothing when the product turns out to be garbage doesn't seem right...

5:16 a.m. on December 1, 2010 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Jersey, not sure ya read the thread correctly. They reimbursed him the $125 he paid for the Targhees and he used it towards a pair of Merrels.

2:58 p.m. on December 3, 2010 (EST)
6 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

50 years on the trail and I have tried them all including custom made boots.  My last 4 pair of boots have been Cresta Hikers from LL Bean.  They meet my boot rules:  1. (most important) they feel good right out of the box 2. Water proof 3. Last for 500 miles.

October 22, 2014
Quick Reply