Washing down bag

8:53 p.m. on January 18, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Hi,  I'm going to wash my 30 year old hloubar sleeping bag that got put away about 10-12 years ago in favor of some newer bags.  As the newer bags are to warm for spring/ summer/early fall I thought I'd pull this one out of retirement and see if it would it meet my needs.  The first thing it needs is a good wash, hopfully not two. :-)

I figured I'd wash it in the tub using Nikax down wash/down proof system.

Figured I'd wash it in the tub.  Spin dry in my front load washer 3.8 cu.ft. Then dry in the  Home dryer or (larger)Laundry mat dryer.

Has washing down changed in the last few years?  Anyone have any Opinion on the Nikwax system.  Any other products I should consider.  Any and all opinions on the matter are welcomed.  Thanks all

6:23 a.m. on January 19, 2011 (EST)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts
2:59 p.m. on January 19, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Thnanks, mikemorrow

1:19 a.m. on January 26, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Just got done washing the bag with good results.

Took a lot of time.  I would guess if you have the money or your time is worth more than $10 an hour it might be worth paying to have it done.

I used Nikiwax wash and down proof.  I didn't realize how dirty the bag was.  I'd say I gained about 2+ in. loft and it's very fluffy rather than limp. It now has 6 in loft at the foot.   All told it took about 2.5-3hrs.  Hour washing  & down proofing.  The rest drying and fluffing.  I'd say the only thing I'd do different is unzip the bag when drying.  That might  have saved me some time rather than turning it inside out every other dry cyle.  I took some clean lite weight tennis shoes and wraped them in socks and thru them in the dryer w/ the bag and it worked nicely, though I still had to fluff and break up the feather wads about every 20-30 min.  All thats left to do is try it out now and see how it works.  It's been so long since I used it I don't really remember how warm it was.

December 18, 2014
Quick Reply