Replacing shock cord TNF tent poles.

3:12 a.m. on January 21, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Hi All,

I have to replace some or all of the shock cord on a dome 5. I just got the tent, new old stock.  Was only been set up once so I assume it was stored improperly.  Since it has a hub at the top of the poles I really don't have a place to keep the poles together, though the worst of the streached out cord looks to be in the poles not attached to the hub. 

The inside dia of the smallest part of the poles is .75 cm (.30 in).  I'm assuming I can use 1/4 in (.25 in.)cord?  The cord they used was .30 cm (.12 in), really, I triple checked.

Is there any shock cord that would be better than others such as marine shock cord or is there some made just for outdoor equiptment? What about brands?

I was told to measure the length of the pole and then multiply by by .8.  Is the correct length of cord to use?

Anyone know where I can buy bulk, I figure I'll need about 100 ft?  I don't mind having extra as I have a number of other tents.  I'm looking on ebay but will wait till I get more info.

Anything else I need to know.  I tried to put the poles together but its a real hassel stuffing cord into the poles.  Thanks

6:53 a.m. on January 21, 2011 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,348 forum posts

Maybe North Face would do it for you or have poles that would work.I have tried doing the same thing with no success.

8:42 a.m. on January 21, 2011 (EST)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Dont replace the shock cord with any of those cheap kits. They are junk. TNF cords are tied to the end of the pole where it goes into the gromet. Just pull on it and it should come out. Or maybe it screws in. Ok. I'll get back to you on this. I'm not sure now. I'll get out my NF tent and check. I've done this many times on many tents. Its not hard at all to do. But in all the poles I have done it is just a knot that holds it in.

10:26 a.m. on January 21, 2011 (EST)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

My NF Canyonlands is 10 years old, and the end piece screws in. Unscrew it and you should see the knot tided to it. Remove the poles keeping them in order. Rethread by starting at male end. Make sure you have more than enough cord (dont cut it to size first) I just push the cord through. After you get the cord threaded though all the poles pull the elastic cord tight, I figure 1/4 inch for each pole. Tie the end back on. Done!

If you have other tents that need new cords you might want to start with them first. The only tents that I have had problems with are those that have the ends pressed in. They put in the knot to stop on the connection inner sleeve. A real pain in the a$$.

Hope this helped.

3:53 p.m. on January 21, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Hi All.

The tent came with DAC poles. They start out at the top of the tent (the hub) aprox 1200 cm. OD.  They neck down to 1100 cm.  OD at the foot of the tent. So their rather large poles.  Should be easy to work with.  The bottom of the poles  have slip in conectors at the bottom which when pulled out have an eye to tie a knot.  I would guess that at the top I would  just tie a knot and slide it down the tube where it stops where the poles connect.  I'll just have to see when I go to do that.

I'm planning on using 1/4 in. yellow marine grade shock cord.  waddya think?thanks, Brian

9:26 p.m. on January 21, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Ok, New plan.  I Talked with TNF and they said that the Dome 5 (DAC poles) came with 3 mm. (1/8 in.) shock cord.  Seems way to small as it didn't last very long, maybe it's to conserve weight.  I have a Oval Intention ring (I bought 1976) and the original cord is still about 80%.  I just measured my TNF ECWS tent with smaller easton poles and it has 4mm (5/32) cord.  Since the Dac poles are so much larger I think I'll try 5mm (3/16).  I figure I should use marine grade shock cord that is designed to withstand harsh enviorments.  Any more thoughts on the matter would be welcome.  Thanks All

7:02 a.m. on January 22, 2011 (EST)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I really dont know anything about the shock cords themselfs. Sometimes one has to blaze their own path. But I would like to know how this works out for you. Maybe you can be the shock cord expert here. :)

4:29 p.m. on January 22, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

No expert here.  Since I've never done this before I got out the calipers and started measuring.  Then I called TNF.  I spoke to someone in warrenty who really was no help other than to tell me the original shock cord dia. which I had already determined.  Not quite the comany they were in years past.  Guess that's what happens when when you get bought and sold a numer of times.  I'll post once I get some shock cord. 

5:15 p.m. on March 3, 2011 (EST)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Did you get the shock cord? I have a tent that needs shock cords too. I'm interested on what you got and what you think.

6:31 a.m. on March 4, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Hi Mike, Yes I did.  I ended up getting 100 ft 3/16 in. military grade shock cord.  The military grade is a lot stronger than regular.  Since it is stronger and I used a larger size,  I was able to use 9 ft of cord for a 10ft section of pole as opposed to 8 ft. of cord per 10 ft of pole.  The standard amount of cord recomended to me was "length of pole  x .80 = amount of cord".   I figure that this will allow me to trim some if it loses it stretch as well as not stretching as much as an 8 ft length.  Even at 9ft, the military cord has more pull to it than the 8 ft of regular.  Even though these are larger poles (measurments up above) they still were set up for 1/8 in.   I ended up having to improvise to get the cord thru the the eyelets at the end of the poles as the holes are 1/8 in.  I used a wire hook to pull it thru the holes.  After that I found that I could not tie a knot that would fit into the pole with the larger cord, so I ended up doubling the cord over and using a stainless wire wrap instead of a knot.  For purpose of ease if you don't want to mess around like I did,  I would recomend using the same size of cord that came with your poles, though I'm gald I used the larger size (as well as military grade) as this stuff won't ever wear out.  It's kinda funny that my Ring Oval Intention poles still have the stock cord that it came with and still have I'd guess 80% of it's streatch.  I got my cord off of ebay and paid $12.00 for it.  The 1/8  is cheaper.  Try and get the military grade if you can.  I got the cord from emmado22 on ebay.  He has a buy it now price of $8 for 1/8  military grade cord 100ft.   If not, you might try the Premium Marine Grade shock cord but it cost twice as much.  I am of course interested in what kind of tent your restringing and the size (dia.) and make of the poles as I have many tents.  This is the first time I've done this but I seems to have worked rather well for me.  If I forgot to mention anything I'll post more.  Oh yea,  needle nose vise grips are a must to hold the cord if you have to tie off using eyelets.  Mark your cord and pull it thru before cutting to size (I used masking tape to mark).  Use the old cord to pull the new cord thru the pole, esp. if you have smaller dia. poles.

12:13 p.m. on March 9, 2011 (EST)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Thanks.

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply