Goretex needs help

2:56 p.m. on January 29, 2011 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Is there a good product that you could put on a Goretex jacket that is not doing it's job to well?

3:03 p.m. on January 29, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,122 forum posts

Sorry, explain that question, I reread it a few times and could'nt understand your meaning?

"You may think you know what you thought I said but it wasn't what I meant"

3:04 p.m. on January 29, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,122 forum posts

I didn't mean to studder!

6:27 p.m. on January 29, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

Mike is your Gortex item not shedding the water?  it could be it's just dirty and needs to be cleaned...You would buy NIMWAX Gortex cleaner put it in the washer...Let us know if this is the problem your having with it..

then a Gortex dry in repellent by NIMWAX as well...

8:51 p.m. on January 29, 2011 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

I didn't mean to studder!

Took care of that for you, Gary.

Pretty sure Denis meant to say "Nikwax." You can get it at REI or Amazon and as they say, other fine retailers.

If it's old Goretex, it might have deteriorated. I had an early Goretex jacket that didn't work at all after a short while. In that case, maybe just spray it with a DWR coating of some kind. I think Nikwax makes one of those as well.

10:39 p.m. on January 29, 2011 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

This is a jacket I bought from Cabalas, the outside get's wet. It is about 4 years old, maybe a little more. I wear it all the time. I guess you could say it does not shed water. I thought there might be a spray or something. Thanks, Mike

11:59 p.m. on January 29, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Nickwax should do the trick. They make a number of products, but what you are looking for is the DWR (Durable Water Repellent)  Before you apply the DWR finish be sure to wash the jacket using ProWash, TechWash, or another product designed for cleaning WPB fabrics.

12:18 a.m. on January 30, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

Mike/Fishbamboo- Mike I have a bottle of the NIkwax TECH Cleaner and DWR. I also have that BOOK AWOL for you....This is HOBBS, I can add it and send it on Monday..That way you dont have to buy any? Let me know  no biggy on it...I have 2 bottles of each...

@ Tom D- thank you for correcting my spelling...yes that is what I was referring to....

10:03 a.m. on January 30, 2011 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Hobbs, that would be so kind, thank you very much.

12:03 p.m. on January 30, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

Not a problem Mike-All my gear is clean and it's better it's used then just sit there..I'll drop it in the Mail tommorrow and the Book for you...

10:00 a.m. on January 31, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
411 reviewer rep
1,043 forum posts

Oddly - when a GORETEX garment isn't water resistant, it's often becuase of the stuff that sandwiches the GORE membrane.  They usually use nylon, and coat the nylon with a DWR (durable water repellent).  The DWR lasts 1 month to a few years, depending on use and maintenance.

NIKWAX and TECHTRON wash-in durable water repellents can help, for sure, and don't cost a lot.

A wide variety of sprays are available, like scotchguard, and a variety of other silicone gunks.  These are usually the wrong way to go, as the solvent in them dissolves the GORE membrane or clogs the pores.

If the jacket itself is no longer waterproof (it actually leaks) then no amount of wash in or spray on is going to help.  If the coat is leaking, it's because the membrane itself is damaged.  If it's just one spot, a patch can help, but if the leaking is diffuse, then it's time for a new coat.

I have a few such coats now, and I keep them as windbreakers, or use them in cold weather when liquid water isn't a problem.

10:27 a.m. on January 31, 2011 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Obviously there is a difference between water resistant and waterproof.  The outer shell of Goretex garments is water resistant. Otherwise, it wouldn't breathe efficiently. My (now vintage) TNF Mountain Jacket's care instructions state that when water RESISTANCE" is lost, a warm iron should be utilized on the outer shell to bring it back up to snuff.  The jacket is now almost 20 years old, and performs like the day I bought it.

1:33 p.m. on February 3, 2011 (EST)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

Mike follow the thread below.  It was a similar topic about a year or so ago, and there is even a video from the guys at Gore (I think) telling about care.  Hopefully this is helpful!

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/gear-selection/topics/67465.html#67497

8:44 p.m. on February 10, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,307 forum posts

I have an ECWCS goretex military parka and have had it for quite a few years now. Every year or two it has to be retreated. The outer shell material will stop beading the water and will become wet and saturated, and this in turn causes the goretex to stop breathing and then you begin to get condensation inside the jacket as well as the normal sweat.

To fix this type of problem you have to thoroughly clean the jacket, I just use a techwash or similar product in a front load washer and wash it twice, and rinse it 3 or 4 times. Then I dry it. Then I retreat it with an appropiate dwr(not the spray on kind). Then it is basically like new again and lasts for about a year of hard use before a new treatment is needed.

I usually wash my jacket with just a little regular laundry soap and water about twice a year or as needed after long trip. If goretex isnt clean it wont breath.

Hope this helps some.

10:23 a.m. on February 20, 2011 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Dennis, I got your package Sat. thank you. I read the first three chapters of AWOL, pretty good. Again thank you for your kindness....Mike

10:57 a.m. on February 20, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

I thought you would like the book. It was fantastic. That and we actually get to talk via internet to him. He gave me some good advise beside's the members here and on TP. Just follow the directions. No big deal it had to be used and all my gear is clean and ready for my trip. Just taking day hikes to get more weight down. I will be posting trip reports here on have a journal online for my thru. I read your thinking of moving to NC? if you do maybe you could meet on a section of the trail you could walk a little..

8:07 p.m. on February 20, 2011 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Dennis, that would be great. We are packing and still do not have any idea where we will end up. We just want out of SC before the hot summer and the cotton in the fields starts to blume.

2:55 a.m. on March 18, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

A lot of my work requires wearing foul weather gear (Gore-Tex).

I have used Nik-Wax and it has worked well.

Also drying in the dryer helps.

Maybe you gear is worn out after wearing it so much too.

August 22, 2014
Quick Reply