Down sleeping bag in stuff sack for 18 months ... Now what?

11:25 p.m. on April 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

One of those 'Good News, Bad News' deals ....

I had loaned a dear friend (my Yoga guru and mentor) my L.L.Bean Mt. Katahdin 650-fill 40-degree F sleeping bag, for a hiking / camping trip in Canada (B.C.) ... about a year-and-a-half-ago. 

In the interim, she moved ... and I went through a divorce and moved, also.  We ended by being about 90 miles away from each other, and always thought we'd reconnect easily.

Did not happen.  I had four surgeries, and had to take a complete hiatus from hiking and camping.   Didn't need the bag.   Besides, I have 5 others (various temp levels rated).  Kinda forgot about it.  I figured she would need it if she went again.

Last week she calls to tell me she is coming to see me, and is bringing the bag and some other camping gear I loaned her.

The sleeping bag has been in the stuff sack (not compression sack, thankfully) for all this time ... 18 months.

I'm now hanging it variously throughout my apartment, in the vertical mode, swapping ends every day.

Some loft is returning, but I don't know what to do to get whatever maximum residual loft back.

Will the 'ole 'tennis balls in commercial dryer'  (on low / no-heat) trick work?

Or, what ?

Robert

11:45 p.m. on April 7, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

Honestly that couldn't hurt your bag at this point. Maybe even washing it with a Down cleaner also may help..I would give it a shot. Not much to lose doing both...

4:40 a.m. on April 8, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

I have an old Holubar bag that was in it's bag for about 10-12yrs. (ya, I know better).  Looked like a dead fish when I took it out.  I did put it in the drier and that helped a lot (I find that clean tennis shoes wraped in socks works much better that tennis balls).  That helped quite a bit but it sill looked half dead.  I then washed it using Nikiwax wash and down proof and did the dryer treatment and it lookes as good as the day I got it.  Haven't had the chance to use it yet.

7:44 p.m. on April 15, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Wash - delicate in a tumble machine with down and also waterproofing detergent additive.  Gentle spin cycle.

Dry (semi dry) in tumble dryer on low by itself and check occasionally such that as it gets warm take it out before it becomes it get too warm and definitely take it out become it is completely dry.

If you have a sliding screen door at home.  Wash it first then remove it and laying it out flat, e.g. on some chairs, then lay the almost dry sleeping bag out on this screen (in the sun) to dry.  Flip bag over several times throughout the day, giving it a light shaking each time  and watch the loft come back.

6:38 a.m. on April 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Thanks Callahan.   Cool idea -- the screen door.   I have one I use to dry washed basil leaves ( I grow them) in preparation for making pesto.

r2

5:50 p.m. on May 3, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Uumm Pesto,

I do like pesto.

I have been growing some Basil in my Patio hanging rail boxes.

Damn birds are enjoying them before I can.

5:47 a.m. on May 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Yeah ... pesto !

Addictive.

10:02 p.m. on May 4, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

is that a Blue Russian ?

8:00 a.m. on May 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Yes.  "Smoke" is a Russian Blue (the 'other' designation more often used).

Not visible in this pic ... he has very long canine teeth.   Looks like a miniature Sabre-Toothed Tiger.   The vet says he has never seen a cat (other than the "big cats" at the zoo) with canines that long.

Very interesting breed.   Territorial.   He runs dogs off the property ... large ones.   Yet, docile and affectionate at home.  Smart, too.   Very.   He figured-out how to turn doorknobs to open doors.

Yogi Robt

1:09 p.m. on May 6, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

I used to have a blue until splitting up with ex.  He was awesome and huge.  I used to play really rough with him and he loved it. Except he didn't know how to play nice after that.

6:02 p.m. on May 6, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Callahan said:

I used to have a blue until splitting up with ex.  He was awesome and huge.  I used to play really rough with him and he loved it. Except he didn't know how to play nice after that.

This breed (Russian Blue) is extraordinary.   I've had several online connections with folks that have one, also.   Amazing felines ... and different.  Great courage.   I actually had to grab him, as he was about to challenge a coyote that trotted up the driveway.   Probably beyond his 'pay grade' ... but, he was game.

Not many critters could escape him.   "Natural-born predator".  I've seen him snatch a fly out of mid-air.   Crunch squirrel's skulls like eggs.  Impale fairly large snakes with his canine teeth.

My former 'yf' has him now.  She hated that he took-on my personality.   He suffered health issues (UTI, etc) from the constant change of environment during the 'shared custody' time.   Vet advised against moving him so often.    Love that little guy !

Yogi Robt

5:23 a.m. on May 7, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

sorry to hear he is not with you

7:56 a.m. on May 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Callahan said:

sorry to hear he is not with you

I have "visitation privileges".

Yogi Robt

As long as the idiots don't like you ... it proves you're not an idiot.  --  Ted Nugent -- outdoorsman, rocker

12:38 p.m. on May 8, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

How this for a kicker.

During being married once before I begged the woman I was then married to not to go buy a $700 dog (with Papers) from the Pet Store.

I suggested that the decision was probably based too much on an emotional reaction wanting for false reasons and to look like the Jones'.  I believe she wanted it as a companion because I used to travel a lot for work, with no notice of travel.  I could not work out how she would have time for this dog as she regularly did not have time for me.  I felt that we were not ready for a dog, which became a disobedient, barking, inside the house pooping machine.

I did ask what is wrong with a dog from the Shelter to which I received looks that could kill.

Anyway she bought the dog and years later when we got divorced she asked me to pay alimony for the dog,,,,, ???????

11:50 p.m. on May 8, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Callahan said:

How this for a kicker.

During being married once before I begged the woman I was then married to not to go buy a $700 dog (with Papers) from the Pet Store.

I suggested that the decision was probably based too much on an emotional reaction wanting for false reasons and to look like the Jones'.  I believe she wanted it as a companion because I used to travel a lot for work, with no notice of travel.  I could not work out how she would have time for this dog as she regularly did not have time for me.  I felt that we were not ready for a dog, which became a disobedient, barking, inside the house pooping machine.

I did ask what is wrong with a dog from the Shelter to which I received looks that could kill.

Anyway she bought the dog and years later when we got divorced she asked me to pay alimony for the dog,,,,, ???????

This, my friend, is one of the reasons why they invented liquor.

r2

12:15 p.m. on May 9, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Yes, Aaallcooohooooool.  Very good but it masks the issue, I tried that route.  I just go and get it done, move on and put bad relationships behind and stop wasting time with them.  I did try and go back, just to apologize and got the funniest response.  "You know I would not have all this and I would still be int he same boring job if we were still married" Glad she moved on too, as it seemed she was doing with or without me with a new non discussed surprise when I came back from trips.

11:57 p.m. on May 9, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Seems as though several (many?) of us here could start a club, with similar "war stories", as I call them.

r2

10:57 p.m. on May 14, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

You might try taking the sleeping bag to place that cleans down comforters. They probably have experience with comforters that have been folded and stuffed all summer long.

8:06 p.m. on May 17, 2011 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

Wash the bag with one of the commercial down cleaners sold for the purpose, following the instructions carefully. Then, dry it thoroughly in a dry er and use a couple of tennis balls, if you wish...NOT "running shoes" as some suggest.

Then, hand it outside, out of the sun, for a hot day and fluff it thoroughly every couple of hours and it should come back, "good as new".

I had an original Marmot Mtn. bag I had custom-made for me in 1978, when Eric Reynolds ran MM, in Grand Junction, CO. and I used it HARD and LONG for 21+ years, until some vermin burgled this house and swiped it. I used this technique and had stored it in stuff sacks for extensive periods as it was a tool of my former occupation and that was a part of my needs for it then.

Yet, with doing this, that superb bag was as good when it was stolen as when I bought it and down is pretty resilient stuff, so, try this and see if it works for you.

July 26, 2014
Quick Reply