About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

sliding sternum strap

5:52 p.m. on April 19, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

I have a Kelty Coyote pack that Im very happy with except for one thing. The sternum strap just wont stay where I want it. Its on a slide system to move up or down for best fit but just keeps moving up,up, up as I walk. The constant pulling it back down gets old fast.

Figured Id see if anyone has had this same problem and how they delt with it before I attemp any modifications or Jimmy-rigs to solve it.

THANX in advance for any help and ideas 

6:23 p.m. on April 19, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

I have the same pack, and yes it is designed to be adjustable for height. I don't have a problem with mine riding up. It probably has a lot to do with body type and / or pack adjustment.

I see in your profile you're a pretty good sized guy and since that pack is designed for smaller torsos that's probably what is causing the strap to ride up.

You could determine where you want the strap during use, and stitch it in place, or even duct tape it for a semi-permanent repair. You may also try using some Shoe GOO repair cement to glue it into place.

Or....you may find a pack with a larger frame will just fit better all around.

12:16 a.m. on April 20, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Ive played around with the torso length adjustment and hav got it pretty comfortable. Still has plenty of room to go longer, but then it just dont fit right. If I can get the strap to stay put, its actually very comfortable with 35-40 pounds in it

I was thinking of using some tape untill I found that just right spot for the strap. I would hate to make some major or permenant modification that might need tweeked again.

Im planning on getting a diffrent pack in the future, something with a little bit better fit and wieghs a little less.  Really like how the Osprey fits me but just cant spend that kinda $$ right now. I needed to get alot of gear in a short time so went with the Kelty (on sale for $94) after seeing lots of good reviews and trying it on. Only complaint is that darn strap! 

Dont get me wrong, I really like my Kelty and plan on using it for many more trips and years. Duct tape would blend right in to the blue and gray color.

12:32 a.m. on April 20, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
80 forum posts

Like trouthunter says, set the strap position and sew it. The hardest bit will be threading the needle. 

I stuff around with my packs, sewing stuff on, cutting stuff off, all the time. I wouldn't be getting into the harness and stays too much but don't be afraid to make mods to any of your gear, or take it to a repair person.

My stuff rarely stays as it came from the shop. 

The results vary to be honest.

3:12 p.m. on April 20, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Outdoor Research (OR) makes a 'universal' (?) sliding sternum-strap. 

My vintage Kelty (Massif frame w/ Serac II/III bag) never had one, as per original.   Probably going to 'pop' for the OR.   Eight (8) American dollars.

Yogi Robt

6:53 p.m. on April 24, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Snagged a couple of the O.R. 'universal' sliding sternum-straps (as my post above) YESTERDAY, at an Annapolis, MD, outdoor gear store.

They work.  Nothing spectacular, but they DO WORK.  Kinda narrow, but the snap-mechanism works well.

Yogi Robt

5:54 p.m. on May 3, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Get sewn into the vertical slider straps/webbing some button/grommet holes.

Then once you have found your comfortable height for the sternum strap, clip a carabiner in through the sewn/grommet holes.  It will act as a stopper and provide a clip point for carrying something, maybe.

11:39 p.m. on May 8, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Thanx for  all the ideas. Think I'll use the duct tape first to find that sweet spot then try my hand at sewing.  Guess I better look up "How to Sew" :)

4:00 a.m. on May 9, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

This may sound silly but I wear farmers coveralls and the strap adjusters are always loosing up.  I use strong saftey pins to hold them in place.  Works great and I can still adjust as necesssary.

11:06 a.m. on May 9, 2011 (EDT)
122 reviewer rep
69 forum posts

Velcro.

April 24, 2014
Quick Reply