Making a new rainfly

4:47 p.m. on April 25, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

This is a tent I got off ebay. And after a couple of nights in it I noticed alot of small pin holes in the fly.

100_0408.jpg
Now I love this design of tent. It is very roomy. So I'm going to make a new rain fly. The material I'm loking at is http://www.seattlefabrics.com/nylons.html#poly ctd rs 1.9 oz Polyurethane Coated Ripstop. Light blue. But I would like to make a larger vesuble with no zipper. I was thinking of a loop and bone system with an over lap of 4-6 inches, using a treking pole as a support. This would make the vesuble area more like a A frame tent. Very big for cooking too on those bad days.

Any thoughts?

4:55 p.m. on April 25, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Sorry bout the bold font.

7:26 p.m. on April 25, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hey Mike, what kind of tent is that?

8:24 p.m. on April 25, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Its an old Texsport. The nylon fabric is low cost. But the interesting thing is that the fly sets up first. I dont remember seeing a Texsport like this before. Like I said I just love this design of tent. The walls go straight up giving a user lots of usable room.

11:30 p.m. on April 25, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
167 forum posts

mike

you might think about using polyester instead of nylon. it is much more uv resistant and stretches less than nylon. if i was going to go to the trouble to make a new fly i would want it to last as long as possible. i am not sure what weights the polyester will come in but it would be worth the look. best o luck an post some pixs when you get it finished.

9:45 a.m. on April 26, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
93 forum posts

I haven't done it but it might be worth looking into A silconized fabric like Hilleberg uses. Pretty light and works well. I don't know where to get the fabric but would guess Seattle Fabic would.

9:30 p.m. on April 26, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

This will be a heavy backpacking tent used for shorter hikes. Plus it will be my first time making a rainfly. I keep on looking at the Big fat frog tent. But I dont want to try a zipper yet. Depending on the poles I can find (PIF hint, hint) LOL. Will depend what I will do.

10:29 p.m. on April 26, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Hey mike,

Did you see this at Seattle fabrics.  I was just looking at this to make a tarp with the other day when I posted the making a tarp out of Tyvek thread.

1.9 oz Silicone Coated Ripstop
1.9 oz. sq yd before coating 70 Denier.  The silicone coating is lighter than a polyurethane coating and the silicone coated ripstop has a 16-18 lb tear strength making it more tear resistant than the polyurethane coated ripstop.  Be sure to use a silicone sealer on the seams.  

1.3 oz. Silicone Impregnated Ripstop
1.3 oz. silicone impregnated 30 denier, high tenacity, bright nylon ripstop with heat and light inhibitors.  This amazing fabric has a tear strength of 15 pounds.  Using this material is a great way to reduce weight.  Perfect for the bilgy light tarp shelter pattern (as pictured to left), a stuff pack (as pictured to left), light weight tarps and more! This fabric is not fire retardant.  

What kinda poles you looking for?  I saw you wanted trekking pole(s).  would some folding fiberglass tent poles work for this?  PIF of cource.

9:17 a.m. on April 27, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I saw both of those and I'm thinking of the 1.9oz silicone ripstop. I can take apart the old rainfly and use it as a pattern. But the vesubal on this tent is wrong, and not large enough. So I will be setting it up and duck taping news paper to it to form a newly designed vesubal.

I've got tons of fiberglass poles. So I will be looking for aluminum ones. But the poles will have to wait till I figure the rainfly out.

How about the idea of the loop and bone tent opening?  The loop bone is what I call those things that hold the opening (door) open. I was thinking 4 on the outside with a 4-6 inch overlap in the fabric then 3 on the inside. I know that zipers are tricky, and if not done right will fail. This would be a weak point in the water proofing of the rainfly. High winds with a hard rain would get in. But knowing that, I would just keep stuff away from the opening.

1:30 p.m. on April 27, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Scraping the whole idea now. Cost would be too high, plus many hours of working on it. I'm taking it into a secondhand store.

6:41 p.m. on April 27, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

That might be a good idea.  I had a new fly made for my ring Oval Intention 10 yrs ago when the fly had degraded from UV.  The cost of the material was around $150, labor was around $150 (more than I paid for the tent in the first place).  My "gear repair" guy said he would take on the challange as he had never done one before.  He used my old fly as a template.  Long story short,  it took him 12 hrs and he said he'll never do that again.  It's the nicest tent fly I own and will out live any of the tents and flys I own.  Interestingly enough the seams were not the probelm.  It was all the hookups ,loops,  tie downs that really ate up his time.   I'll post a pict of it when I get a chance to set it up, it's a work of art.  Can't set it up today,  rain agian in The Great North West.

5:13 a.m. on April 28, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

..This would make the vesuble area more like a A frame tent. Very big for cooking too on those bad days.

Any thoughts?

Bad idea - cooking in a tent or vestibule that is.  This activity is a prime source of injury and accidents in the backcountry.  If the weather is that bad, eat something that doesn't require cooking.

Ed

10:00 a.m. on April 28, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Brian, have no fear summer is coming. It's raining in the early morning but mostly blue skies by afternoon here. They are having more rain on the I-5.

Ed, I have never had to cook in the vestible before, but if traped I would like to have the space and head room to do it with some measure of safety.

4:54 p.m. on April 28, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

Ed, I have never had to cook in the vestible before, but if traped I would like to have the space and head room to do it with some measure of safety.

The thing is the weather would have to be unbelievably extreme and pose a safety hazard - say 40+ mph winds in a <10 degree blizzard - to qualify as being trapped, conditions few of us will ever experience.  Otherwise "trapped" is a state of mind.  Being uncomfortable is not being trapped.

As for safety: what amount of headroom and space makes it relatively "safe" to operate a stove in a confined space? The answer is a lot more than the vestibule of any backpacking tent will provide.  You may reduce the hazard of gas poisoning, but your idea does very little to mitigate the risk of tent fires.

If you want some measure of safety when trapped, bring along some meals you can eat that don't require a stove.  Problem solved.

Ed

5:26 p.m. on April 28, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Its all good Ed. I have scrapped the idea anyway.

6:13 p.m. on April 28, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Hey Mike,

The sun came out to play so I thought I'd set the OI up w/  the custom fly I had made.  The material was a new waterproof backpack material that had just come out at the time about 13 yrs. ago.  I picked yellow because the first fly was blue and anymore time than a 36 hrs in the tent got really depressing. 
DSC03702.jpg
The fly weighs 1/4 lb. more than the tent body. 

DSC03700.jpg

DSC03701.jpg
The bottom picture is the inside of the fly with his original patteren marks.
DSC03704.jpg

7:31 p.m. on May 1, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Use two trekking poles to hold up a vestibule that could be designed to accommodate a change in pitch such that the poles could be used at different heights and on the left or the right of the vestibule to provide correctly oriented protection form the weather if leaving the vestibule open.

August 21, 2014
Quick Reply