About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

vango spirit 200 tent poles broken

8:58 p.m. on May 21, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Hi,

I have purchased a vango spirit 200 tent about a year ago and the poles of them are constantly breaking (so frustrating),

anyone got any ideas on  how to fix the poles?,

anyone got any ideas on a new 4 season tent under 2 lbs with the tent poles not likely to break?,

cheers

10:17 p.m. on May 21, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Welcome joshyd,

Whenever I've seen tent poles break it was one of three things:

* Crappy poles / poor tent design.

* Tent improperly pitched / not guyed out correctly in wind, snow, etc.

* Too much whiskey and Brian _________ falls against my...I mean your tent.

You said you had poles break (plural) so I'm guessing you have replaced one before (?) and that you may have talked to the manufacturer about warranty coverage.

If you set the tent up right and all that jazz, it may be a defect.

I am not familiar with this brand, if it is an expensive tent being sold to handle the conditions you are exposing it to, I would try to return the tent as a manufacturer defect if at all possible.

Less satisfactory option - get a new pole set replacement from the manufacturer (maybe they have improved them by now).

If this is a cheap tent....just recycle it and call it lesson learned.

Good 2 man, 4 season tent under 2 lbs.......that's an interesting question, you got me there. Maybe one of the gear heads here on Trailspace may know. I've never seen one.

Best of luck.

11:29 p.m. on May 21, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Welcome as well to Trailspace joshyd,

Thanks trouthunter, mmmmmmmmmmmm, time for another sshhhhhhaht.  Brian ___________ ;-}>

josheyd,  What kind of poles are these (fibeglass or alum., manufacture, size lenght of each segment)?  Where on the poles are they breaking?  At what point during setup are they breaking?  What is the tempeture in which you setting your tent up?  Are you following the pitching instructions which came with the tent?  Is it the same pole in the same position on the tent breaking in the same spot or just random poles in different positions breaking?  What kind of pole ends are they using and how do they fit into the tent?

Cool looking tent that appears to be made in the UK.  I did a cursory review on the tent and it seems to have rather favorable ratings.  Nothing about tent poles breaking or other  problems pole wise.  I couldn't find anything spec. wise on the manufacture/number of/ dia./number of segments per pole section.

I don't know if you can make a true 4 season tent under 2 lbs for two poeple.  One of the halllmarks of a real 4 season tent is that it will stand up to whatever nature will throw at it.  That requires a certian thickness of whatever material you are useng and the poles to back it up as well as the proper structure design.  The quest for ultralite gear is is going to be an interesting experiment in the end as manufactures battle to make gear with less weight.  There are a number of really important needs when spending time out in the wilderness, esp in that 4th season.  I belive shelter is the most imortant along with food, water, sleeping bag.  If you do find a quality 2 person/4 season tent/-2lbs that really works in 4 season conditons I want one.

Brian

3:32 a.m. on May 22, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Check out Easton Tent Poles.  If you really like the tent you may be able to buy some poles from this company and cut them to length.  I have always had good service when calling them for help in a similar manor.

5:02 p.m. on May 22, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

The website for the tent puts the weight at 2.4 kg, I think that includes everything. I think that translates out to 5.3 lbs.  Poles: PowerLite® 7001-T6 alloy + TBS® Pro. Not sure what that all means but their new tents are inflatable!

http://www.vango.co.uk/tents/spirit-200.html

6:48 a.m. on May 23, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

sorry for getting the weight wrong,

what does inflatable mean?

2:54 p.m. on May 23, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Maybe these people can help ya out.

http://www.polesforyou.com/index.htm

3:49 p.m. on May 25, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

sorry for getting the weight wrong,

what does inflatable mean?

It means that instead of tent poles the tent has air beams/bladders in it. In order pitch the tent ya simply pump it up. Nemo incorporates this design in a few of their tents. Pretty neat in my opinion. I'm oldschool though. I like aluminum poles. :)

6:14 p.m. on May 30, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

joshyd said:

anyone got any ideas on a new 4 season tent under 2 lbs with the tent poles not likely to break?,

cheers

Try this :   Lazer ULTRA 1,   at under 600 grams (about 1 lb, 5 oz)  from  Terra Nova.  ( www.terra-nova-co.uk ).    Actually for one-person.   You could get two (2) of them. 

OR --   The  2-person Photon 2, which weighs in around 900 grams, which is about 2 lbs.

Pricey.   Very.

They are used on Everest attempts.

~ r2 ~

8:05 p.m. on May 30, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I never knew they used the Terras(the ones above) on Everest attempts :)... I was under the impression they were 3 season tents. I would want something a bit more robust in those conditions like a Hille.

Alot of manufacturers have models that have been there though. Eureka, TNF, etc....

11:23 p.m. on June 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

this is what the poles for you website has emailed

"Price to make these aluminum poles would be $25.50 each 93.75" poles in 8 sections.  Shipping for two poles is first class mail (15-20 business days) $15.75 or priority mail (6-10 business days) $29.75.  You can email half your credit card number to this email and the other half to tom@polesforyou.com.",

would it be worth going for these or do you reckon I could get a better price?,

also if I say just got a repair kit that had say 4 pole sections in it would this be a viable option? I do not know how to replace pole sections and if you are supposed to take the ends of the pole im struggling to find a way that these pole ends are going to come off.

they are alloy poles which are the more expensive ones,

Manufacturer: Vango
Tent Material:
Diameter: 8.5mm
Number of Sections: 8
Tent Name: Vango Spirit 200
Model Number: 2010
Attachment:
Pole1 A: 2m 38cm
Pole2 A: 2m 38cm
Pole1 B: 1m 50cm
Pole2 B: 1m 50cm
Comment: the pole attaches through a pole sleeve and then is placed in a metal circle/ ring at either end.

11:27 p.m. on June 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

has anyone seen the new airlock easton poles http://www.eastonmountainproducts.com/innovation/air-lock,

anyone know if they are any good

April 16, 2014
Quick Reply