Black Diamond / Bibler Fitzroy Tent: Twistlock pole ties feels inconvenient?

11:04 p.m. on June 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hello everybody,

I just bought Bibler Fitzroy single-wall tent and tried to assemble it. I noticed that poles seems to be not entirely aligned with Twistlock pole ties; ties tend to untie by themselves, leaving pools lose. I'm positive I assembled it correctly according to BLACK DIAMOND FITZROY assembling instruction (PDF) http://goo.gl/7tWmP. Is it just a temporary thing, so that tent will self-adjust after some time?

Also, twistlock pole ties are kind of springy, they are not staying in twisted position, but tend to straighten themselves. Was it always so, or maybe Black Diamond changed something recently in Fitzroy tent construction?

I was surprised: all the reviews of Fitzroy tent I saw so far were strictly positive...

5:36 p.m. on June 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Hi vkelman and wecome to Trailspace,

I have a numebr of biblers both new and old.  I seem to remember that when setting my Elderado up that every once in a while a twist lock would come loose, but I do not remember this to be a big problem as when one would come loose it would put more pressure on the other twist locks on that pole line to and actually hold them in place better.  I would then just re twist the holder back into closed position.  This is a older version made in the USA by Bibler.  It may very well be that the current versions, made in China I belive, do not use the same twist locks (material wise) as the oler ones made by Bibler.   I do have a Bomb Shelter that I will be setting up that is the Black Diomand version that I need to get picts of it to get it ready to sell.  It  was only set up once to seam seal so when I set it up myself I'll try and leave it up for a day or two and let you know if there are any problems with the twist ties.  It may be a while as the weather in the Seattle area has been rather bad as of the last 10 months, but I will get back to you.  You might set yours up in a place that is warm and then cold to see if temp makes a difference in the plyability of the twist tyes and how they hold together.  Remember, super gluing things out of fustration does not always work :-).  I would also contact Black Diamond with your concerns and see what they have to say.  I want to replace my older Elderado with an older Fitzory myself but will wait till the middle of this comming winter as the prices are to high right now on used tents , it seems to be that spring/summer thing.  If the weather holds true this year in the Great Northwest that could be in 21 days, who ordered this weather anyways, dang ;-}>.

August 27, 2014
Quick Reply