Flame resistant - Fire retardant for tents

3:42 p.m. on June 22, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

Hi -

I read online that many fire retardants are no longer available due to their toxisity..

Does anyone know of a good fire-retardant that can be used on tents/nylon

that can be mxid with a mineral based waterproofer. 

Thanx

-chase

12:23 p.m. on June 23, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

don't use your stove in the tent

3:19 a.m. on June 24, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Callahan said:

Callahan pretty much sums it up.

Ninety nine percent of us will never encounter conditions that warrant stove fires in a tent.  Therefore no need for fireproofing.

Ed

7:54 p.m. on June 24, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

As far as I know, virtually all tents sold in the past few years already have fire retardant coatings. Those that don't, like some of the ID tents made in Canada cannot be sold in CA and perhaps some other states.  If you see an ad for a tent that can't be sold in CA, that means it doesn't meet state standards for fire retardant material.

However, fire retardant doesn't mean fire resistant, it just means whatever is coated will burn slower or ignite at a higher temperature.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire-retardant_fabrics

Snowtrekker makes canvas tents designed to be used with a wood burning stove. Their tents are made from a flame retardant cotton fabric.

http://www.snowtrekkertents.com/ 

3:55 p.m. on June 25, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

whomeworry said:

Callahan said:

Callahan pretty much sums it up.

Ninety nine percent of us will never encounter conditions that warrant stove fires in a tent.  Therefore no need for fireproofing.

Ed

lol - So - no one builds campfires anymore...? 99.9% just using a portable gas stove these days at a picnic table i presume.

well - the gas stove is nice on occasion. but nothing beats a camp fire... and wood pops every now and again sending cinders and even a nice size chunk of buring wood.

That's reason enough to warrent fire retarding or blocking or what ever the tech name is called in my book.

It's bad enough to have to deal with a burn hole in the tent let alone have one go up in flames - especially while sleeping or ones mind is pre-ocuppied on other things.

I was in a rush when i posted this i should have stated this is a tent that is older - but in great condition - espeically now - and probably was fire-retardent at the time - how ever due to the original owners neglect it needed some care/maintanance so - i washed it - re-waterproofed it and now want to add a fire retardent to it. (which i probably should have done at the time of waterproofing)

This used to be a pretty common thing to beable to just go and pick up at the local hardware store. Heck even Scotch Gaurd used to have a fire retardent to spray on your couch and other furniture. Home Depot used to sell one for paint up until a couple years ago from what i was told by a HD employee.

And as stated i've read many were pulled due to their toxicity.

Hoping there is still a viable solution - that actually works of course - doesn't stain and can be added after the fact or even mixed in with my water proofing agent that is not a water based waterproofing but more a commercial grade waterproofer used in the marine industry. (As mentioned in another thread)

if you can think of one please let me know - if i find one I'll let you know. and thanx for the replies thus far.

-chase-

btw those Snowtrekker tents are nice from what i see on their site.

5:15 p.m. on June 25, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,062 forum posts

Chase Found Nitro-D is listed and it's waterbased,, Carried by Eco-Sol Ltd England. Check it out by running the company. It will give you the properties. I also saw te chemical makeup of Nirto-D online as well.

5:03 p.m. on June 27, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

denis daly said:

Chase Found Nitro-D is listed and it's waterbased,, Carried by Eco-Sol Ltd England. Check it out by running the company. It will give you the properties. I also saw te chemical makeup of Nirto-D online as well.

I need a non-water based or oil based fire retardent, as my water proofing agent is an ethynole based water proofer - ( i think)  but will check out just the same. Maybe i can use it after the fact of water proofing it.

I definitly need to check into the possiblities of what can be used with what some more.

and thanx -

Oh a note on those tents mentioned above - those are canvas and i made a tarp tent of canvas - they are pretty cool even the one i made or created as there is not a whole lot of "making" involved. I used a 9x12 tarp - water proofed it - used stones where the tye downs should be with rope wrapped around the canvas and stone to hold the tarp and two long sticks i found in the woods. I used a poly tarp for the floor and it was nice and roomy. And from what i remember - tall enough for me to stand in and get dressed the following morning -

i did this when stealth camping a couple weekends last year.

but prefer the beach  to stealth camp - love it down there at night  - nice breeze - crashing of the waves... smeel of the salt air.... nice warm sand to lay your tarp on... or pich a tent - depending the beach of course - but i was always out by dawn so no one bothered me nor i them.

ahh such is life - or was life

shame they bulldozed it all and put up condos.... but that does test ones stealth camping skills at the beach down here now... lol and boy do i have a couple stories i could tell about stealth camping at the local beaches since the condo camando's took over...

but i'll save those for when sitting around the camp fire...

3:57 a.m. on June 28, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

-chase- said:

lol - So - no one builds campfires anymore...? 99.9% just using a portable gas stove these days at a picnic table i presume.

Sorry, I assumed your tent was for back packing. In any case I pitch my car camping cabin tent well away from camp fires for all the reasons you mention.  I would not trust a fire retardant to protect my investment; I have seen several back packing and car camping tents go up in a blaze, some new enough to presume these chemical treatments are not nearly as effective as touted.

Ed

1:20 p.m. on June 28, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

No biggy their whomeworry - but my tent can be used for back packing. not that there should be a difference conserning fire retardants and such.

But it is good to hear about your experience with tents going up in flames. Which doesn't sound good.

There is a product which is all natural - not meant as a fire retardent but actually when they put a blow torch on it for comparison to a commonly used product for the same use showed surprizing fire block and resistance - so my thought is if i can't find something suitable and may do it anyway - write the company for a sample - grind it to powder form and see what it will do as a fire retardant / block on a sample of nylon as my tent is made of.

If it works - well then we have something new that is an all natural product for many uses like fire extinguishers or paint additives - and of course a water proofing additive for tents that fire retards the material.

The only way to find out is to try it and see. Though i am hoping for a ready made solution i can add to 303 Fabric gaurd water repellant - which i picked up yesterday to re-do my tent once again since this product ranked number one in a five day submersion test of water repelants done by Power boat magizine.

Btw - here is the pdf link for those that might want to read  the test results:

http://www.303products.com/powerboatlowres.pdf

September 21, 2014
Quick Reply