About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

I would like to remove a Gore-Tex liner from a pair of hiking boots. How do I do this?

9:50 p.m. on July 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I have had it with Gore-Tex. 

Now I know how it might feel to be walking in Hades.   With these 90F-degree days here in the Mid-Atlantic now that we're in the month of July ... I am cycling through my various pairs of hiking boots, to give them all a work-out to keep them supple and fresh.

The boots I have (several pairs) with Gore-Tex membrane liners are almost unbearable to wear, do to the heat build-up.

I have other ways of dealing with water and damp ground, so I would rather try to remove the Gore-Tex liners ... from at least one pair of boots.

How can this be done ... if ... in fact, it is advisable to do so ??

~r2~

11:17 p.m. on July 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Dang Robert,

Heat getting to ya, are you finding that when on the trail your screaming at other hikers and packers for very little or nuthun at all, cursing  at low flying aircraft ,  is your face turrning red and are your eyes bugging out of your head due to that peasky  plugged water fiter?  Well,,,,,,,,you may be suffering from Heat rage, yes heat rage,  similar to road rage except there aran't many roads/vehicles to direct our rage at so it's the trail and the people on the trail we abuse.  One of the symptoms is that people start wanting to cut up there perfectly good gear.  This is one of the later stages of "the Rage" and sometimes people must be restrained for their own good.   It's sad to be in the back country and  come across a packer that is a totaly defeated raving lunitic that has no gear left because he cut it all up (funny thing, Heat rage mostly affects men) and has nothing left to pack out.    It takes alot of time and effort to talk a person down of off a scissors high after they've had a psychotic break involving Heat rage or it's in lesser known form called Trail Rage.

Seriously though,  Once you start tearing material out of the boot you will have to repair all the seams and find material to replace the space because  there will be less material in the boot.  I'd say through them in the closet and use them in the winter time when it aint so hot.  You'll either have uneven seams and or a ragged boot left or both.  I'd go to Goodwill and get a couple of cheap older used hiking type boots  to take apart befoe endvering to seperaet and put a boot back together.

just my thoughts

6:58 a.m. on July 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I think you may be correct on many counts.

7:41 a.m. on July 3, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
973 reviewer rep
571 forum posts

Personally I would never even try to do it on my own just because its far beyond the skill set I posess. If you do try take pictures and put them on here. And of course test it out on ones you can afford to lose. Or just pay someone to do it fo you.....

http://www.feetfirst.resoles.co.uk/walking_boot_repair.php

10:19 a.m. on July 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Thanks for the link, Jake.   I have another outfit that is semi-close (probably would be able to stop on my way to / from Shenandoah Nat'l Park).

www.resoleamerica.com

I was re-thinking this.   I would probably have to use an X-acto knife, and try to CUT (very carefully, like a surgeon with a scalpel) BETWEEN the stitching inside the boot, and 'peeling' the membrane away.

~r2~

11:32 a.m. on July 3, 2011 (EDT)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

Robert Rowe said:

I was re-thinking this.   I would probably have to use an X-acto knife, and try to CUT (very carefully, like a surgeon with a scalpel) BETWEEN the stitching inside the boot, and 'peeling' the membrane away.

~r2~

yes, but then you will need to re-line it with something else...and that won't be easy to do, I think.

12:49 p.m. on July 3, 2011 (EDT)
973 reviewer rep
571 forum posts

I checked out that link, I am missing something. I couldn't find where/who offered that service. I am looking for something a little closer then I currently use, that one I linked is in the UK and you get killed with shipping costs (although it is quality work so I don't mind as much). Without hijacking this thread I am looking someone who trailspacers trust to resole their boots....

2:37 p.m. on July 3, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I personally think it would alter the fit of the boot to the point that you would no longer wear them. Then again, you could always wear more socks. Lots and lots of socks......

4:25 p.m. on July 3, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Jake W said:

I checked out that link, I am missing something. I couldn't find where/who offered that service. I am looking for something a little closer then I currently use, that one I linked is in the UK and you get killed with shipping costs (although it is quality work so I don't mind as much). Without hijacking this thread I am looking someone who trailspacers trust to resole their boots....

Jake, Dave Page may be who you are looking for. He does warranty work for alot of companies (which are listed on his home page.) Here is the link. I am considering contacting him in regards to adding a rand on my Scarpas.

http://www.davepagecobbler.com/

8:58 a.m. on July 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Jake W said:

Yeah ... you are missing something.

I posted a link that answers your query.   The outfit is in Warrenton, Virginia (right off Rte 29, if I remember correctly) ... between Washington, D.C., and Charlottesville (my former home).

Fast turn-around, decent pricing.  They do a lot of warranty work for major shoe and boot companies.

www.resoleamerica.com

~r2~

10:21 a.m. on July 4, 2011 (EDT)
973 reviewer rep
571 forum posts

I've been to that link, it redirects you to searchmagna.com? Then you click on boots and its takes you to options of llbean.com and womens fitness. Is my computer sabotaging me?

Rick- let me know how it goes if you get the work done. He does list Zamberlan (which my boots are) on the home page, so thats comforting.

3:40 p.m. on July 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Jake W said:

I've been to that link, it redirects you to searchmagna.com? Then you click on boots and its takes you to options of llbean.com and womens fitness. Is my computer sabotaging me?

Rick- let me know how it goes if you get the work done. He does list Zamberlan (which my boots are) on the home page, so thats comforting.

Huh ?    Hmmm ....

I just tried it.   Not going where you said you were directed.   BUT (!), not going where it used to go ... and should be going.

Will need to investigate. 

Thanks for the "heads-up".   I do not want to mis-inform.

~r2~

2:45 p.m. on July 7, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

good luck with that Robert.  The frustration of removing a liner may be better offset by buying another pair of boots.

3:16 p.m. on July 11, 2011 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

Sounds only like trouble to me.I agree about Gore-tex making for a way to hot boot but looks like we are all stuck with it till the manufacturers come to their senses.

April 20, 2014
Quick Reply