Bibler Tent issue

1:03 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I have a Bibler 2 person I tent . I have used it for 25 years,

and looking up thru the floor I see pinholes - some are large enough to

look through - on the floor of the test.

How can this be repaired ? I love the tent,  there has so far been

no water leakage, but I don't want to find out the hard way

on a backpack in the rain.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

John Yard

1:26 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

I wouldn't worry about it.  Wise site selection will preclude you getting water in the tent from underneath, unless the whole area floods, in which case most tents will leak.  Use a footprint to extend the life of your tent.

Ed

2:17 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

If you are really bothered by it you could coat the floor with a eurethane coatin like Kenyon Recoat 3 or some other product out there on the market, I am sure there others for purposes like this. I am just throwing out the Kenyon because I have used it. Just a thought.

Welcome to Trailspace John.

6:36 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,202 forum posts

If you can't replace it or part with it, I would use McNetts Tenacious repair tape and patch each individual hole large enough to notice.  It is very difficult to find a campsite that will not pool with ground water in a deluge---the whole area doesn't have to flood to get your own localized tent pool underneath.  It all depends on rain intensity.

Floors, zippers and UV damage to a fly usually kills a tent, and most backpackers will upgrade to another new tent.  I would google Rainy Pass Repair and check out this FAQ:

"The nylon on my tent's floor needs to be recoated.  Can you do that?

"No, we do not recoat fabrics because we have not found a product that works effectively. The waterproof coatings on nylon fabrics come loose with age. The aging process is often accelerated by detergents, improper storage, and other factors. Many companies sell recoating products. If you find one that works well, please let us know. We would love to hear about it! Otherwise, you may want to consider replacing the floor of the tent. If you decide to go that route, we can help you with that."  QUOTE FROM RAINY PASS

http://www.rainypass.com/index.htm

So, if you really are sentimental about the tent, I'd go the floor replacement route. 

6:40 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Good point Tipi. By the way thanks for that link. I was on a never ending search for the name of that company. I had it written down for future reference. I stumbled on them awhile back. Needless to say my wife chucked it on accident.

I have used Tear-aid with good results.

11:10 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I've had "Rainy Pass" bookmarked for quite a while.   Never have used them ... YET.   But, soon will ... I am sure.

BTW (there's that acronym again, Ed) -- Anyone know of a similar outfit, but primarily working with leather (NOT boots) ??

I have a couple of old, fringed-buckskin jackets and anoraks that need mods and repairs.   And, YES -- I know an "anorak" is essentially  a waterproof  pull-over ... but, it looks like one.

( And NO comments about "hippies", puh-leeeeze).

~r2~

4:10 p.m. on July 18, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

As a tent collector I have a number of tents that have seen the ravages of time and overuse,  just as I myself am finding out about myself.  Usually when I notice that a tent is comming to the end of it's life it gets reclassified to a different class off tent, i.e. a four season tent becomes a two or three season tent.  My first love (tent wise), my TNF Ring Oval Intention is very thread bear on the floor.  If I were to recoat the floor it would still be very thread bare with very little of the coating clingging to it .  The only real way to fix this IMHO is to replace the floor or just use it in the hot summer when rain is not likely.  The same goes for a fly that has had so much UV degredation that it is thread bare.  When I find I have rain fly that is so UV damaged it is not worth trying to recoat, as again it will be thread bare and only able to hold onto very little of the recoating material, then as soon as you go to use it somemore it will continue to degrade from sunlight and will leak very quickly.  Flys if this condition will also tear very easy when stressed by wind or streatching put on the tent.   When the fly is done, at the end of its life,  use it as a template and have some one make a new fly if it's not cost prohibitive.  Thats what I did with my Oval Intention, note, this is not cost effective unless you can sew it up yourself in this day and age.  I use recoating products for floors and flys of tents where the material is strong and close to 100% but the water proofing has delamed or become compromised for some reason such as mildew.  Since you did not say what the cause of the "pin holeing" in both the floor and ceiling of your tent was caused by (I'm assuming much use) only you can decide what to do.  I noticed you mentioned that your tent is a Bibler.  If this is a single wall Bibler tent you will most likely never find all the holes in the ceiling of the tent and get them sealed befor going out to use it (If you try to, I would guess you will find all the holes you missed wehn you go to use it in the field)  and since it's a single wall tent you are depending upon the transfer of water vapour out and not letting water droplets in.  This is now a compromised tent and I would really consider another tent.  The market is such that if you can wait till winter you fill find deals on almost any kind of little used tent on Craigslist or Ebay fo 30-60% (or more) off.   Even as we speak I'm still finding ten to twenty great deals on various tent's a day on both Craigslist and Ebay that I'm passing up, though mostly on Craigslist this time of the year.

December 29, 2014
Quick Reply