MSR cookers - A how to guide?

5:58 p.m. on August 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hi,

I am trying do service my MSR Whisperlite Cooker, however I no longer have the instructions and don't need to buy a full kit. I just want to know what type of things I should be doing with it to keep it maintained.

E.g. How do I oil the pump cup?

And how many o-rings are there to be replaced?

I don't want to pull apart the whole thing to find I didn't have to. Does anyone know if there is any guide online to help me?

Cheers

Nat

7:30 p.m. on August 2, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,485 forum posts

The MSR Whisperlite is made by Cascade Designs and sold under the MSR label.

Here is a link to their web page for the Whisperlite:

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves/fast-and-light-stoves/whisperlite/product

Here is a PDF schematic:

http://media.cascadedesigns.com/pdf/msr_whisperlite_schematics.pdf

Here is a PDF users manual and maintenance guide:

http://www.365adventure.com/reviews/manuals/whisperlite-international-manual-english.pdf

Here is a video showing how to clean out the fuel line and shaker jet:

7:31 p.m. on August 2, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,485 forum posts

I'm not sure if the video will show up, it was in my post until I hit the Post Message button. We'll see.

Anyway, you can go to YouTube and search for:

MSR Stove maintenance and cleaning tips from Nolan Davis of OSM

5:05 p.m. on August 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Awesome, thanks for that. Its exactly what I was after. Strange that I couldn't find it...perhaps i'm not as computer literate as I thought!

Now I'm off to give my cooker a good service.

8:15 a.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

The MSR develops one major problem, that is fuel delivery. There are three areas where that can be affected adversely. Firstly, clean out the jet at the base of the unit. Modern units have the shaker jet installed so those units should be ok. Next clean the fuel line by pulling out the wire cable inside, clean that with a dry clean rag or cloth. Blow down the pipe to dislodge any particulate matter. Be careful how that is reinserted. The last main area for problems is the pump, a machine made of too many parts. If you have access to the manual, video, etc you will note that there is a small gauze like filter inside the pump. Delicately remove and clean with a bit of new fuel, dry and reinsert. Other things which go wrong occasionally are the o rings, as you identified, look for striations or cracks (often very thin) in the rubber if here are any replace the ring.similarly the ring at the top of the fuel pump where it is screwed into the fuel bottle can fall foul of these problems. Hold the pump and give it a few experimental pumps, you should feel some pressure at the opposite end and perhaps hear a squeaky sound if all is well. Old models had a conical filter on the end of the fuel line, if you are having problems after the above, remove that filter use some clean new fuel and see if the machine functions adequately. If so replace the small filter. MSRs are a lot more reliable than those used to be, but regular maintenance is still a must.

10:33 p.m. on August 5, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Easy to find out and easy to do.  Go the web site for your cooker.

October 1, 2014
Quick Reply