MSR Whisperlite fuel line broke

7:29 a.m. on August 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Last time I tried to remove the fuel line from the pump the fuel line came out, but the metal cube at the end of the line remained connected to the pump. I removed it and tried to connect it back to the fuel line, however it kept coming out easily and there was fuel leakage when I opened the valve.

It actually seems like that part is supposed to be able to disconnect from the fuel line, but I guess it isn't.

I can't send it to MSR as I need the stove for a trip in a couple of weeks. The stove is really new (A month old) and had no problem before this.

Any ideas of how to fix this problem? 

Has it happened to anyone before?

Thanks!

This is a picture of the exact part that got disconnected from the fuel line:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13977687/msr.jpg

3:44 p.m. on August 8, 2011 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

Hi Yotmal welcome to the forums.Your stove is not broken.This part is made to come out.The trick is to get it fully seated back into the actual fuel line.It should only stick out a very small distance.Also it sounds as you may have damaged the o-ring inside the pump were the fuel line enters.These are replaceable by purchaseing the MSR maintinence kit.

4:00 p.m. on August 8, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts
7:40 a.m. on August 9, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thanks for the reply.

Actually I went to the MSR representive in my country and he said that he'd never seen that part come out, so he replaced the whole fuel line. Some great service.

I don't think it's supposed to come out as it's not listed that way anywhere. And it sits on the cable with pressure, and it didn't seem possible to reinsert it without it coming out too easily again.

2:35 a.m. on August 11, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

MSR (Cascade Designs) has been good service to me too.  Great response, courteous and efficient.

9:36 p.m. on August 17, 2011 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

May have miss understood what part came out.Can you draw a picture or post a photo?If not I am glad to hear the problem has been resolved.MSR has very good customer service.

7:40 a.m. on August 18, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

There is a link to the picture of the part at the bottom of the op's first post.

9:42 a.m. on August 18, 2011 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

Thanks Rambler that is the part I thought of.I have pulled it out on purpose to clean out the fuel line.Never had problem reinstalling it over the years.But then I have never had it stick in the pump either.Sounds like a fluke to me.Murphy's law may apply here.Glad to hear it all got taken care of.

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply