Photo contest waterbottle cracked around rim

12:45 p.m. on August 14, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,168 forum posts

hike-tuesday-wednesday-9-and-10-2011-002

I got out my water bottle that I had gotten in the Trailspace photo contest last spring and noticed that the upper part of the top was cracked. Has anyone else gotten one of these bottles and had it do this.

I replaced the string that held the cap to the bottle with copper wire as the string broke a while back.

1:45 p.m. on August 14, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

looks like it was done up too tight and or had a liquid in it that froze.

2:51 p.m. on August 14, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Review time? :)

3:02 p.m. on August 14, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,485 forum posts

FIELD REPAIR CHALLENGE!!

No Gary, I got a Camelback Podium Ice bottle and haven't had any trouble out of it at all, I love it (about time for a review).

Sorry to hear you had a problem.

6:40 p.m. on August 17, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

Hey Gary,

Looks a lot like mine. 'cept mines shiny!

Dukjug.jpg

Not too long after buying my first one, I saw a review somewhere that talked about the lid cracking and that it was a common problem. That person had contacted GSI who told him it was a bad batch of plastic that was causing this and they sent him a new lid. This one lasted just about a year and three months and just cracked on a paddling trip a couple weeks ago. It took a long time to get an e-mail response from GSI, but when I did, they asked me to call them and give my address to send me a new one.

Customer Service
GSI Outdoors
800-704-4474

They said they would send a new one right out and gave me the story about the bad batch of plastic. I asked how I would know, if I went to buy another, or in regards to my other one that hasn't cracked yet, if it was from the old batch or the new.

Inside the lid is your standard recycling code and a circle of numbers (you'll probably need a magnifying glass) inside the circle is an arrow with a number on each side of it. These numbers are the year of manufacture and the number the arrow points to is the month. My arrow points to 12 and splits an 0 & a 9 so mine was manufactured in December of 2009.

Now, after I told here the dates, she told me anything after 2009 should be the new plastic and should not have the problem with the cracking. My other bottle's lid was made in 2010 and so far no problems but when I asked how I would know, since I have another bottle that I didn't have in front of me at the moment, she said she would send me two new lids just in case...

Hopefully that puts an end to the saga, cause I really like the bottles.

8:44 p.m. on August 17, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,168 forum posts

Thanks for the GSI number, I will call them too!

11:57 a.m. on August 19, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,168 forum posts

I called GSI and they are sending me a new lid for my water bottle, Thanks JersyWreckDriver

1:45 p.m. on August 19, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

I haven't been impressed with most of the GSI stuff I've owned. I hope they replace it without any balking.

3:45 p.m. on August 19, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

gonzan said:

I haven't been impressed with most of the GSI stuff I've owned. I hope they replace it without any balking.

Except for the cracked lid, I love these water bottles. I'm not a fan of drinking or eating from plastics, so finding a stainless bottle like this with the wide mouth "nalgene" threads that will work with my MSR miniworks filter was like winning the lottery for me. It has a lot of nice features for a water bottle.

1) The lanyard that keeps you from loosing the cap is a regular braided nylon, cord, so it can be easily replaced if needed, even on the trail. Will probably take years for it to break, compared to the plastic one that have always been on the Nalgene bottle and usually break within a few months, then can't be replaced at all.

2) The eccentric cam shape of the lid makes it easy to take the lid off even wearing thick gloves.

3) Having the shape designed to hold several feet of duck tape and still be flush with the rest of the bottle is just awesome.

4) Being stainless, I can put it right on my stove and leave a pot at home or just simplify cooking, having extra things to boil water in. It's great to make coffee or tea directly in the bottle.

I think the whole lid cracking problem could be solved and the function improved overall with the addition of a simple o-ring in the groove where the lid contacts the bottle. I'm going to look into getting one an doing it myself, so we'll see.

As I said, they didn't give me any grief at all, when I called, about sending not only one new lid, but a second one for my other bottle that wasn't even broken yet. I wasn't happy about having to send a e-mail a day for a week before I finally got a reply, but I did get a reply and new lids are on the way.

October 2, 2014
Quick Reply