mountain hardwear skyview 1.5

2:23 p.m. on August 28, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I am looking for a 3/4 season, convertible tent.  I am thinking of buying a skyview 1.5 from a private party.  It's only been used twice and looks brand new.  Does anyone know the actual packed weight of the tent.  Will I need to seam seal any part of this tent?  Is $110 a good deal or average?

thanks

2:43 p.m. on August 28, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hey ohiodove, welcome to Trailspace. Here is a lil feedback/info on the Skyview 1.5.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/mountain-hardwear/skyview-1.5/

4:16 p.m. on August 28, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,504 forum posts

If that tent is in good condition buy it.

I have owned the Skyview 2 for 13 years and although they are a little heavy they make a great year round tent.

Mine did not come seam sealed, I have the older model.  I think the newer tents came sealed. You can look at yours and tell by looking for a shiny strip along the seams on the underside of the fly, and along the floor seams. A neat strip probably means it was factory applied, if it looks brushed on by hand it was probably done by the owner. Mine tent came with a tube of Seam Grip.

Even if the tent is seam sealed if you buy it set it up in the backyard and test it with a hose or a sprinkler

I don't know the weight of the 1.5 maybe someone else on Trailspace will.

4:21 p.m. on August 28, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I am seeing an 8lb packed weight. Can't really find much on the tents specs. Maybe contact the seller to get a more precise answer...

I can't see anyone knowing any better than the current owner.

7:15 p.m. on August 28, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,504 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

I am seeing an 8lb packed weight. Can't really find much on the tents specs. Maybe contact the seller to get a more precise answer...

I can't see anyone knowing any better than the current owner.

That sounds about right, my tent is the larger Skyview 2 with a packed weight close to 8lbs. That includes the zip out panel and the internal guy system.

The MH website has (had?) a list of owner manuals for older tents in PDF.

SDC10099.jpg

Here's a photo of mine set up on a sand bar.

7:23 p.m. on August 28, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

trouthunter said:

That sounds about right, my tent is the larger Skyview 2 with a packed weight close to 8lbs. That includes the zip out panel and the internal guy system.

The MH website has (had?) a list of owner manuals for older tents in PDF.

Who knows, I looked on MH website and couldn't find anything. I then found this lil breakdown and it says your 2 weighs 9.5lbs. Now I am really confused. 

I am looking at the specs and the ran down the Skyview 2 & 3 so I am thinking the Mountain Hardwear "Blank" maybe the 1.5?

Here is the link:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/camping/TentComparoChart.htm

7:54 p.m. on August 28, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,504 forum posts

Um...I'll see if I can find my owners manual tomorrow and double check.

5:50 a.m. on August 29, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

thanks for the information.  I own another tent with a bathtub floor so I know zip about seam sealing, which made me a little nervous about buying that kind of tent.  I was also looking at the REI Arete 2 but it cost a lot   I'll check the seams when I get there and look to see if it has been already sealed.

11:12 p.m. on September 7, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,314 forum posts

I have the Skyview 1.5.  It's a great tent ... for car camping :).  But if you don't mind the weight (and bulk) it works great for backpacking too.  I'm pretty sure I weighed mine "packed", including the MH footprint at about 8 lbs.  But I don't have a precise scale for that weight range, so I used the "step on the scale without it, step off, then step on again with it" method.

It's pretty roomy for what's basically a solo tent.

It's also good for a variety of situations - if it's cold and windy (as I found one night on the edge of a bluff, with horizontal snow whipping at me all night), you simply zip close the flaps on all the screen sections.  The only thing to watch out for is when you crawl out from inside, opening the flap might get you wet, and water may drip into the tent.  If it's clear and warm, you unzip all the flaps, and you have a good amount of visibility & venting (hence the name).

Mine is currently out of commission because the zippers on both doors failed this summer, and i haven't had a chance to take it in to see if MH will repair  them under warranty (we have another thread on that here in the Gear Repair forum).    

I bought the Skyview in the summer of 2000, so it's just over 11 years old.

11:51 p.m. on September 7, 2011 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

If it is of the new generation material that MH are using today then it is a deal.  Offer $100 and jump at it.  I have a MH Skledge 2.1 and love it.  It is the smallest I will go for a tent.  Any smaller I will be getting a Bivy.

November 24, 2014
Quick Reply