About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Inertia X Frame: Ultralight Camping Pad

1:46 p.m. on September 9, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

http://www.klymit.com/index.php/products/ineriaxframe.html

Hi All,

I am always in the hunt for a lighter (better) option for my gear.

I have recently come across this sleeping pad that can go outside or inside a sleeping bag.  9.1oz

Could you please give a point form response as to the plus's and minus's you see.

It would also be fantastic if someone has actually used one and it would be great to hear more from someone who has actually used one.

Many thanks to all.

2:05 p.m. on September 9, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,679 reviewer rep
1,137 forum posts

A good foam pad (ridgerest) or bubblewrap is hard to beat for weight.

2:59 p.m. on September 9, 2011 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
106 forum posts

I have one of the Inertia Frames, I slept on it once and it was actually very comfortable. There are two things you gotta consider, first is that you wont have room to move as space is limited, second is that even though I tried it on flat ground, if you are sleeping on a slope it will slide, there are no grip pads on it and you might consider adding some.

8:23 a.m. on September 10, 2011 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
235 forum posts

I've had one since early spring.  Wrote a review and really liked it.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/klymit/inertia-x-frame/review/23308/

I did not have any trouble with it sliding like maxx.  Just came back from Arkansas last weekend.  The area was very rocky and uneven.  I sleep on my side and still was very happy.  I put it on a postal scale when I first got it and it just passed the 9 oz mark.  I was able to drop my pack size because it folds up to the size of a pop can.  3 breaths to blow it up.  Feels like no air loss by morning.  I'm really happy with my purchase so far.

I never thought about using it inside the sleeping bag.  I'll have to try that.  Don't know if that will work for me because most of my bags fit pretty close. 

1:32 p.m. on September 10, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,929 forum posts

The spaces in the pad look interesting. I use a Ensolite pad (Standard Blue Foam Pad) $26 at REI, I bought mine for $4 at a camp shop in Anchorage AK in 1978. They seem to last forever!  1/2 in thick X 2 ft wide X 6 ft long. Not sure the weight but its less than a pound.

Ensolite-Pad.jpg

A bit tattered but still does the trick!

thumbnailCAAJWU0E.jpg

5:48 p.m. on September 10, 2011 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
235 forum posts

Tough to beat 34 years of service.  Gary I know you use your gear more in a year that most people do in a life time.

6:02 p.m. on September 10, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,929 forum posts

Yes, I was refiguring it out this morning. Out of the 35 years since I was 21, I have only worked 8.5 years as compared to taking 26.5 year off adventure traveling, all in the USA.

26.5 years

X 9 average months a year

=318 months total

or 9540 nights outdoors!

thumbnail.jpg

9:52 p.m. on September 10, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,028 reviewer rep
1,208 forum posts

I haven't used the Inertia X but it seems like you'd need to lie in a very specific position in order to keep your body aligned with it.  And if you turn to your side you'd probably touch touch the ground.

The light weight is enticing though...

9:06 a.m. on September 12, 2011 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
235 forum posts

bheiser1 said:

I haven't used the Inertia X but it seems like you'd need to lie in a very specific position in order to keep your body aligned with it.  And if you turn to your side you'd probably touch touch the ground.

I'm a side, er... flop all over sleeper, and I had a lot less problems with the xframe than I did with my 3/4 Thermorest.  The Thermorest usually left me along side of the mattress by morning, and I've yet to have the problem with the xframe.... even on really slanted ground.  My sleeping bag does have several strips of little nobbies on it.  That might be the difference.  However, they didn't work on the Thermorest.

Of course, I have been practicing hitting the pad on my flops for quite awhile;)

GaryPalmer:  Do you prefer Gary or Clay?

3:30 p.m. on September 12, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,028 reviewer rep
1,208 forum posts

Guyz, so you don't have any problem (e.g. when turning on your side) with your shoulder falling off the "tube" of the "pad", and thru the hole onto the ground?

I'm using a Therma-Rest ProLite and am actually contemplating buying a z-lite for the coming cooler months (and because I'm not crazy about how my shoulder presses into the ground when I turn to my side when using the ProLite).

I do like the idea of cutting back from the ~1lb weight of either the ProLite or the Zlite though...

3:43 p.m. on September 12, 2011 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
235 forum posts

bheiser said:

Guyz, so you don't have any problem (e.g. when turning on your side) with your shoulder falling off the "tube" of the "pad", and thru the hole onto the ground?

Really, I've never had a problem with that.  I read that Inertia did a lot of body mapping and the areas they cut out almost never make contact.  I haven't ever noticed the cut outs.  It seems to work for me.  I'm 6'3" & weigh about 200#.  The only problem I have is the pad is a little short.  I sleep with a stuff sack with clothing as my pillow. I place it under the sleeping bag just in front of the pad & that evens things out.

April 20, 2014
Quick Reply