Hilleberg Saivo vs NF Ve 25 vs NF Mountain 35

2:28 a.m. on September 13, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

Hi all please allow me to introduce myself and say hello'

First post so be gentle :)

As the title suggests I am looking for a quality 3 persons 4 season tent. Have tried to do as much research as I could before posting .... but need you expertise with real world experience if you have it.

My main concern is the price difference.

The Hillie Saivo is 2x more expensive than the North Face ve 25 and Mountain 35 with simiiar space/specs.

Do you believe this is justified in performace. Is it really twice as good ?

I know many do not like NF for various reasons and I certainly understand. However it seems that the NF VE 25 in particular is VERY highly regarded (was also my preference until I saw the Saivo).

If anyone has some experience with some or  all of these tents I would be quite interested in your informed feedback.

Thank you for taking the time to read.

5:34 a.m. on September 13, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Hi Protos and welcome to Trailspace,

So.................I know that I will take hit on this one.  I have owned the TNF mountian 24 and the VE-24.  I used the mountian 24 quite a bit and know and understand the VE-24 very well.  The two TFN 25's are very much like there previous models(the 24's) only better.  I'm not a very big fan of TNF right now but they stilll make a pretty darn respectiable tent for the money at this time.  The "mighty" Hilleberg. One of the tents I want is the Saivo, but not at 2 x the price.  I'd buy one uesd not new.  In fact I'd buy any of these tents used,  but not new.

You didn't say what your use of the tent will be.  A one time base camp assent of your favoriate peak?  A life time full of mountian assults around the world?  Maybe something in between?    Is this tent just for you?  What is your exact use for this tent?  Here is may take on this at the moment.

The VE-24.  As tent I owned, this tent did evrything I ever asked it to and more.  I can't think of a single flaw this tent had regarding its intended porpose.  With two people in it, it vented well, never leaked, was solid in the wind and rain.  This was a tent that I owned back around the turn of the century, Around 2003+/-.  I hated this tent.  If I was a snake or a lizard and liked to crawl on my belly to get in and out of a tent that would be fine.  Not the case.  If yor going to be in the most hades(ish) like conditions for all the time you spend in your tent, then this is the tent.  It is low profile.  If that is want you want then that's what you will get and it will serve you well.  I sold mine and I collect tents. (I forgot I had this and then sold this tent until now).

The VE-24.  A master piece that set it self from the rest and spawned a generation of extreamly quality, stable , roomy, smaller base camp tents.  Where the mountian 24 excelled with low profile the VE-24 excelled with the things I just listed.  For me the VE-24 is a much better well rounded tent for more normal conditions.  I does what the mountian tent does but with alot more additions, plus more weight(which matters little if your looking also at the Savio).

Ah the Savio..........Hilleberg...........the darling child of the American tent industry.  I want this tent.  It's a really cool tent for a huge cost.  From what I've heard of this tent is,  it sags a bit in the rain/wind and it can have condensation problems with to many people in it.  I believe that the condensation is due to stuffing to many humans into a sardine can.  I bet it's a great tent for 1, maybe 2 people. Not so much with 3.  The sagging appears to be due to a design flaw.  The inner part of the tent is held in by elastic which ends up sagging.  Not what I want when spending that amount of money.

Here is another option.  The Vango Force Ten line.  This is a UK company that is worthy of concederation.  I'm thinking of buying one myself and I don't normally buy new tents.  There ar many quality tents on the market today.  Pick well and have fun doing it.

http://www.forcetentents.com/

Between the three tents you listed, I myself would opt for the VE-25 in regards to the price , specs, options, as well as  weight.   I'd go with the VE-25 hands down.

There are a lot of tents and alot of opinions.  If you have the time and are willing to look around I'm sure you will find the tent that meets yoru needs.  You will find many other opinions here at Trailspace.  This is a good place to ask questions.

7:16 a.m. on September 13, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,296 forum posts

I had a TNF Mountain 25 which is the 2 person version for quite a few years before I sold it here on trailspace. I really liked this tent, very well made, sturdy and practically bombproof.

I know the Hilli's have a great reputation, but I can't see how they could be any better than the TNF 4 season tents.

1:46 a.m. on September 14, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

Thanks very much for the informed replies fellas.

I think I will go for the North Face VE 25.

Looking around to find in in a store near me to demo it, but not having much luck. In a pinch could this tent work in a non alpine enviro ??

Going to mostly be below 7k feet and 3.5 season (at least for now). Would condensation be a major issue or are there flaps/windows ect ?  

2:56 a.m. on September 14, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

VE-25 is rugged, but I thought it was cramped for three people. Ventilation and condensation can also be an issue, if sharing with someone who insists on zipping everything completely closed.  I would consider all these tents overkill for 3.5 season use.

Ed

3:27 a.m. on September 14, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

You guys are bad bad men ..... making me spend lots of money.

Gonna go VE 25 for my 10k+ this january (also have as my backup all around bomber tent).

Gonna spend the extra money I saved passing on the Hilleberg Saivo for  a 3 season Marmot LimeLight 3P in non eyebleed green for less demanding work.

Thanks so very much for the feedback guys.

Great site and great people !!!

10:17 a.m. on September 14, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

I would say you've made some good choices there.  Have fun.  One more sugestion.  It's getting to the end of the camping/hiking/backpacking season and I think you will find that both of these tents will be popping up on both ebay and craigslsit.  As it's the end of the season Americans are loath to spend money on things in the off season making this seasonal gear much cheaper than in the on season (spring/summer).   Ebay is a great place to find things really quickly quite often (but people bid things up) while stuff on Criagslist will quite often be much cheaper(and you can talk people down in price).  You should be able to both a buy a used VE-25 and a Marmaot LimeLight 3P tent(s) for the price of a new TNF VE-25 and maybe have some money left over to boot, or maybe to buy boots...........who knows.

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply