Does anyone know this tent

8:19 a.m. on September 16, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I've looked up the history of Sierra West but this tent isnt named, nor is there a pic of it.

100_0649.jpg

100_0651.jpg

100_0659.jpg

Its poles are black aluminum and say Sierra West 7001. Weight was 6 lbs 2 oz. Ive got it down to 5lb 9oz
It is around 9' long by 4.5 wide. The floor is seamless. YKK zippers, teal in color. I'm guessing late 70's model.

I would like to know its name for my own records.

10:35 a.m. on September 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

Looks like the Trilite or the lighthouse, although your tent has more mesh in the canopy than some others, although the mesh have been simply a redesign.

I sent Warren Sierra West catalog scans for his site which is here.

http://homepage.mac.com/inov8/Compass/sierrawestimages.html

Warren is looking for Sierra West product photos for his site, you may wish to contact him.

4:51 p.m. on September 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
167 forum posts

cool tent, sierra west is the only second generation backpack company that i am aware of. dick kelty's son richard kelty is one of the founders of this company. happy camping.

5:06 p.m. on September 16, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Yes it is very cool. When I got it the seams on the rainfly were all puckered up. The factory tape was not elastic anymore. So I pulled it off. It was an easy job. Then seamsealed from the underside, hit it with the hose, not a drop got in. The seams on the rainfly are on the right side of the poles (seam opening down). As tight as this tent pitches I'm thinking of using it as my winter (rain) tent. BTW there are no seams on the floor!

7:23 p.m. on September 16, 2011 (EDT)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

looks like the Trilite.

Right weight and description

From that catalogue : The Trilite is avaliable in a choice of ripstop or NoSeeUm mosquito top panel.

Franco

7:47 p.m. on September 16, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I didnt see that. Thanks Franco. I also sent pictures to Warren to use.

8:03 p.m. on September 16, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

After a second look I'm going to have to disagree. This tent is nether the Trilite nor Lighthouse.

The poles on mine are black and are spaced farther apart. The door on those two tents role to the top, mine to the bottom. Plus it looks as if the sleeves for the poles have mesh., mine are solid.

10:21 p.m. on October 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I have the exact same tent. Great tent, one of my favorites, definitely my wife's favorite. Roomy, airy design, of course pretty heavy by today's standards. 

I don't know the model name. Mine was well used and any identifying labels are worn off. I think it's much later than the 70s. 1980s at the earliest.

One of the short poles used when attaching the fly just broke; I got it out to remind myself what went wrong with it the last time I used it. That pole was jammed, tried to fix it and it snapped. If anyone has an idea of how I might be able to get that pole replaced I'd appreciate it! 

10:39 p.m. on October 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

@ trsmt :  Try  www.polesforyou.com

They most likey can take care of you.  Your one stop pole shop.

6:46 a.m. on October 16, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

The 2 short poles just hold the front of the rainfly. There is very little presure on them. I would think that any poles would work. I have many poles around the house. If you would like I could make one that fits and send it to you.

5:31 p.m. on October 17, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Just made 2 new aluminum poles for you. I'll be sending them out in a day or two. Just make this a PIF sale. Be kind and help out a fellow camper.

August 27, 2014
Quick Reply