Marmot Never Summer

12:31 p.m. on September 18, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Anyone have any experience with the Mamot Never Summer sleeping bag?  Any perspective would be appreciated.

2:45 p.m. on September 26, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I went to the Marmot site and did a side by side comparison between the Men's Never Summer 0* bag and the Marmot Sawtooth 15* bag which I own. 

Aside from the rating, weight, and fill weight, and color, they have nearly identical specs.  I love my Sawtooth and regard it as the best bag I have ever owned.  I was more comfortable and warm in it down to 15* than I have been in other bags in temperatures above their ratings.  They EN rating is spot on for me. 

I own the regular size, and I am 5'9" and currently weigh 180 lbs. The cut is fairly generous for me, but I like the extra room. The construction of the Sawtooth is excellent, and I haven't noticed it losing any feathers during packing, unpacking and airing out the bag. 

The Sawtooth also has a little pocket in the foot area of the bag that can hold a chemical hand warmer to help keep your feet warm.  With a single pair of wool socks and fleece pajamas, I didn't need it.  That was a refreshing feeling because my feet sometimes get cold during the night. 

The hood and draft collar system was warm and very effective at eliminating any drafts from getting in.  I actually had to vent the bag at one point because it was working too well for me.  I am a really warm sleeper though. 

There are certainly "better" bags out their with membrain shells, higher fill-power down, and narrower cuts that contribute to lower weight for the same rating.  With all that said, this bag is worth every penny to me, and I wouldn't trade it for anything else with the same rating.  I've been very impressed with the bag and hope to get more use out of it this coming winter. 

The Never Summer seems to be very similar to the Sawtooth, so your experience should be very similar if the rating is right for your needs.

4:17 p.m. on September 27, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,293 forum posts

Marmot makes a quality sleeping bag.  the hood is nicely shaped, the draft tube works well, the zippers run smoothly, and it is pretty roomy through the shoulders.  so long as you're willing to trade weight and bulk for price, the bag you are looking at is great.  (i also use a sawtooth, a similar bag rated to +15f, for fall/spring and have really enjoyed it).

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply