Mummy shaped sleeping pads

11:20 p.m. on September 28, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

I just bought a sleeping bag that has a pocket that takes a mummy shaped pad.  It seems to me that I remember lots of mummy shaped pads in the early to mid 90's in both long, med, and short, shaped like a mummy so as to save weight?   The sleeping bag is a Stephenson (Warmlite) referbished bag and takes a 60 inch long pad being 20 inches wide at the top necking down to 12  inches wide at the bottom.  It seems to me like Themorest made some of the mummy shaped pads.  Any one have anything like this that they might want to get rid of or any suggestions?  I want to find a open cell pad if possible.

12:14 a.m. on September 29, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,063 forum posts

REI makes a good mummy-shapped, 1.5" thick that I have used with great success. I would recommend them, and the 3/4-length version. They're called the Lite-Core Series.

5:42 a.m. on September 29, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

@ pillowthread : Thanks for that lead.  I will check into that.

@ everyone else, I could use as many leads as possible as I will try and find a mummy pad used.  Thanks all

12:35 p.m. on September 29, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Therm-a-Rest ProLite Sleeping Pad

3:06 p.m. on September 29, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Kelty Backpacker Sleeping Pad

According to Pacific Outdoor Equipment they make some very warm self inflating pads (5-8 R-Value) that are only 1.5 thick.  They also make a wedge cut that starts at 2" thick and ends at 1".

Pacific Outdoor Equipment sleeping-pads

This is an open cell "kit" from Big Agnes.  Might be exactly want.

big-agnes-sleeping-giant-memory-foam-kit-mummy-regular-72-x-20

For the cheapskate in all of us. Overstock.com has the Stansport Mummy pad for 45.99.

• Durable 150D Oxford Nylon shell holds the sleeping bag firmly in place on the pad
  • Brass valve with nylon cover for protection
  • 400 mm polyurethane coating
  • Weighs 2 pounds
  • Dimensions: 72 inches long x 20 inches wide x 1 inch thick

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Stansport-Mummy-Self-inflating-Mat/5510292/product.html?cid=143980&fp=F&TRACK=CSEShopping&mr:referralID=28d23744-eacb-11e0-be22-001b2166becc

9:13 p.m. on October 31, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

I just read this title again and laughed.

I prefer not to go camping / sleeping on my Mummy.

1:03 p.m. on November 2, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

How about just cutting out a closed cell foam one? You can pick them up for around $12

1:30 p.m. on November 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

mikemorrow said:

How about just cutting out a closed cell foam one? You can pick them up for around $12

Hey Mike, Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried to sleep on closed cell's and that just doesn’t work for me. I even tried the newer Therm-a-rest Z-Lite closed cell folding pads and find them to be just as bad as the standard blue closed cell pads. I’m just a poor sleeper that needs a lot of padding to get even a little sleep in the outback and need an open cell pad.

I'll most likely try out a Callahan's suggestion of the Therm-a-Rest ProLite Sleeping Pad as I have had much luck with Therm-a-rest products and it seems as it might just fit into the sleeve on the Warmlite bag that it is intended for.  I just have to find a used one for a good price, been looking on and off on Ebay.

4:23 p.m. on November 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Apeman can you modify the sleeve to fit a regular pad?

4:51 p.m. on November 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

ocalacomputerguy said:

Apeman can you modify the sleeve to fit a regular pad?

Not, really............The sleeve that's sewed to the back of the bag and is in the shape of a mummy.  It is, top to bottom 62 inches, 20 inches across at the top tapering down to 12.5 inches at the bottom. This is really old bag that was sent back to Warmlite and refurbished to up-to-date standards with down and vapor barriers. They could have easily done it at the factory then. But as its sewed to the bottom of the bag it would have to go thru baffles with out pulling it apart.

With that being said. As this is not a light weight bag I guess I could have a larger pocket (be it mummy or rectangular) sewn to the existing pocket. It would be kind of funky but it would work if I had it professionally done. I’m really tired of ending off pad in the morning.  I guess it would also then allow me to cut a closed foam pad for it to be usde in the smaller pocket as mike suggested and then I could use a self inflated pad in the larger pocket. I hadn't thought about that really, thanks. Now I can find a Therm-a-Rest Prolife 4 cheaply (I think I found one for $45) and then if it does not fit have a larger pocket attached to the current pocket for it and any other size pad. Good idea there, I can't believe I didn't put any thought into that earlier.

In fact working on that thought I guess I should be able to either split the pocket down the center or down either side and add a small piece of material to widen it just a bit as the Prolite will either fit or be just shy a few inches. And I guess if I'm going to do that it should be a nonskid fabric so the pad and I don't slide the tent when I can't find level ground.  Man I like this brainstorming thing.  ;-}>

Or as ocalacomputerguy said: "Apeman can you modify the sleeve to fit a regular pad?"  Yes, I believe I can......................

6:05 p.m. on November 2, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,072 forum posts

Golite makes certain bags that have no bottom just the top layer with straps under the top layer to hold the sleeping pad.

7:46 p.m. on November 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

GaryPalmer said:

Golite makes certain bags that have no bottom just the top layer with straps under the top layer to hold the sleeping pad.

Well, there's a thought and I could actually do that myself with the pad's I have as well as biing able to use diffeerent pads depening on conditions and needs.  Thanks Gary.  A number of good options so far.  Time for a rethink before buying yet another pad.  Thanks Guys

9:50 p.m. on November 2, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

I have the Stansport self inflating mummy pad, save your money.  My cheap-o blue closed cell from wally world is warmer and the Stansport is to thin for comfort and usually will not stay inflated for more than a couple of hours.

Stansport =  Cold and uncomfortable

Cheap-o  Blue close cell = Warm and uncomfortable

I really need a new pad myself :)

10:30 p.m. on November 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Was joking when I was suggesting the Stansport. How ever I will recommend my Alps Mountaineering pads.  Got my last 2 for 15.99 plus $8 shipping from Steep and Cheap. As comfortable and much warmer than the Coleman air mattress I was using for car camping.

11:46 p.m. on November 2, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Sad thing is I paid around $59 for my Stansport. Dang I hate those live and learn lessons. But in my own defense, I purchased the pad before I found Trailspace.

I been eyeball'n the BA pads. 

7:19 a.m. on November 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Azrhino

Have you tried inflating and then dunking in water?  Sometimes it's just one or two spots leaking.  Other times it's a poorly done seam.

1:42 p.m. on November 3, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

No I have'nt tried to find the leak. I think it might be in the valve cuz sometimes it will hold air longer than others. Even when its full its just not enough pad to be warm or comfortable so I quit carring it.

7:09 p.m. on November 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

When I was shopping for pads the local chain store that carries them had some out for people to test.  I determined that I needed a 2" to be comfortable.  Ended up with some Alps mountaineering "light weight" pads, size long. They aren't as light as therm-o-rest but I recently picked up 2 more on steep and cheap for $25 a piece including shipping in case you're looking.

12:26 a.m. on November 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Well, I picked up a Therm-a-rest Prolite 4, 72 incher today for $40.  It  should be here in a few days.  Well see how that works and then go from there.  I have some more ideas from the posts the other day if it does not fit into the pocket on the bag.

3:56 a.m. on November 11, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Callahan said:

Therm-a-Rest ProLite Sleeping Pad

So I took your advice and bought the Therm-a-Rest Prolite 4 sleeping pad for a couple of reasons.  It was one of the only one's that seemed as it might fit, it was the only one(s) I could find used at a good price, and it got good reviews.
DSC05158.jpg
I ended up finding 4 or 5 on different ones Criagslists around the country for between $40 (the one I got) and $60, with a few in at $50.  Seems that everyone else with any other brand of pads that I thought might fit thought that their pad was worth it's weight in gold.  So, for $40 and $6 shipping from freeport ME I got a pad that fits a little tight but seems like it'll work.
DSC05161.jpg
I also found a Them-a-Rest ultra lite long 20x72 for $40 that I figured, along with this bag and a military mummy shaped bivy would work as a bag sysetm.  As I'm a bad sleeper I figured that when necessary this bag with both pads and the bivy would give my a number of comfortable quick set up options.  Once I get it all together I'll do a post.

Thanks to all for helping me find the right  mummy pad for this bag.

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply