Backpacker fishing gear for coastfishing

1:38 a.m. on October 1, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hey,

I'm quite a rookie to salt water and sea fishing, but as I'm traveling around new zealand I always find some nice beaches to surf swim and guess what - fish. But its hard without any clue of equipment needs, such as rods, lures and generel setups for that kind of fishing..

I've already been in some stores but as it is they do always recommend the expensive or high quality stuff, which you do not necessarily need as backpacker (as I'm going to either throw away or sell it when I stop traveling). At the moment I do have a van, so the space that stuff needs ain't really a problem, but the price is. the cheap rods I have seen in different places cost between $60 and $100. do you think they fit my needs or do they neither work nor last long?

thank you for your suggestions!

Cheers, Mo

2:13 a.m. on October 1, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Hi  momomo5 ,

Welcome to Trailspace.  It's good to see others on the site expressing an interest in fishing.  I'm now just planning a trip to a 6 week to Thailand that will be mainly focused around fishing.  I am at the moment planning on taking three different rods and reels.  Usually fishing of off the Beach oir surf casting takes a really long rod and a large capacity reel.  You very my well want some chest waders.  Quite often it takes the longest pole with big test and large weights and then going out into the surf in yoru waders to get your bait or lure out as far as you can.   My experiance is that a 3 or 4 piece 10-14 ft rod would be best with the largest spinning reel that matches your pole is the best for all around use Surf casting.  You will have to decide which is better to use at the time fresh bait or lures.  Use what they tell you to at the store.  There should be web sites that tell how the fishing is and what their using to catch certian fishies as well.  Since you have been to the Sporting goods store you know what stuff costs new.  First I would find out what they recomend at the store in your price range.  Go to a couple of places and tell them your looking around at different equiptment.  Find out what you will be fishing for.  Then go look on New Zealand's Craigslist (I'm currently trolling Thailand's Criagslist for some thigs for my trip).  I would also check out New Zealand's Ebay as well.  You very well could find some really good slightly used equiptment at either site.  Do not be afraid of older equiptment esp if you know fishing gear at all.  When you go to get rid of your pole at the end of your trip you can then sell it on Craigslist.  Since you are not keeping this  equiptment you have a much wider choice of gear as opposed to gear that you are buying to keep for the rest of your life.  If you want,  you can give your top $ amount and I can take a look at both sites and give you my recomendation on some gear.  I love fishing gear amongst other types of gear.  I'm sure I forgot some stuff so I hope others chime in.  If I think of anythihg else I will post.  I'm very interested in what you end up getting gear wise and for how much.  Hope this helps

6:25 a.m. on October 1, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

Like Brian said, buying used fetches fishing gear at a quarter or less of its original price.  In addition to on-line sources, some tackle shops resell used gear.  These might be worth checking out too.  Also as Brian described, you'll want what is called a surf fishing set up, usually a fairly long pole, with a spinning reel.  Surf the web for what to place on the end of your line, as there are several possible set ups you can use. 

Ed

1:01 a.m. on October 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thanks for your fast and detailled answer!

I have been in some other fishing or sportsstores, but none of em offers second hand gear. I could only find some on the internet. but as i do not have a home adress and as i move around alot in my van i will just have to buy and pick up my gear from some private trader :)

I do now have a good feeling about what i need and what i have to pay for it, thanks alot! Maby I'll update this when i found some useful gear! see you, cheers!

4:31 p.m. on October 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

momomo5 said:

Thanks for your fast and detailled answer!

I have been in some other fishing or sportsstores, but none of em offers second hand gear. I could only find some on the internet. but as i do not have a home adress and as i move around alot in my van i will just have to buy and pick up my gear from some private trader :)

I do now have a good feeling about what i need and what i have to pay for it, thanks alot! Maby I'll update this when i found some useful gear! see you, cheers!

I would then look at Craigslist and see if you can find anything in your price range.   In fact I always look for things jsut above my price range and assume I can talk them down at least 25%.  90% of the time I can and do.  Remember if your willing to walk away then you have the upper hand in a transaction like this.   My experiance in buying used gear of all kinds is vast and what I find is that if you seek out someone who has gear but was not planning on seeling it he/she will want more and that you will have to pay more than if you find someone that feels the need to sell their gear on Craigslist.   As I will be going to Thailand (hopefully) in the near future I will be bringing some gear with me but buying some of it over there.  I will prob buy my larger poles over there but take all my own reels with me.  Please, please, if you have the chance and desire post what your experiances are of what equiptment you buy and how you got it and where you got it as well as you fishing experiance.  Do not get discouraged if you do not catch anything at first.  As with all types of fishing it sometimes take a bit to get dialed in.  Also if you can find anyone fishing see if they are willing to share with you exactlly what there using gear wise and bait wise and see how there rigging their treminal gear as well.  Some times sucess and failure is just a result of rigging the bait in a correct mannor.  I've been fishing where I'd caught nothing all day will  guys right beside me couldn't keep fish off their line.  With fishing I always assume that people have more knowledge than I do and I'm usually right if their dialed into the area that they are fishing in.  Happy fishing, and Happy travels.

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply