456 forum posts
Hi Trailspace folks!
So I have decided that I want to make, or maybe buy, a 3 person tent / tarp / shelter for next years camping season. This would be a 3 season tent at most.
Here is what I would like in the tent.
- Big enough to fit me and my two kids and maybe our packs. It would need to be at least 70" wide and probably 90" long, give or take.
- It needs to have build in bug netting, tub floor, and waterproof top. Most likely a single wall tent.
- Use just 2 hiking poles to support the top. Ok this may be un-doable, but I would like to have a minim of other poles.
- Be able to sit up inside the tent, so close to 4' of head room, at least on one end.
- Strong enough to handle high winds and rain soaking storms, I do live in the PNW! It rains a lot here.
- Oh yea and easy to sew! :)
So what I am asking from you folks is any ideas, websites, pictures, designs, etc. that could help me in getting this going. I will probably make it out of Silnylon, mesh, and something maybe a little heaver for the floor.
Designs, mockups, and testing will be done with blue tarps or the like until I get all the bugs worked out. I will probably end up "Copying" someone else design as I don't think I can come up with a new design, but I like the basic A frame style, with some kind of extra protection at the back and a BIG vestibule in the front, something you could cook in if needed.
So all you hikers out there give a guy a hand and flood me with ideas!!