Vargo Hexagon stove v.s. CC Sidewinder Inferno

1:18 a.m. on October 19, 2011 (EDT)
508 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

The Vargo Hexagon Stove is a good design - for a non gassifier stove, that is. And at 4 oz. fairly light. Plus one of the six sides opens fully for great access for refuling and with fairly large diameter sticks, something few other woodburners can say.

But I still prefer my Caldera Cone Sidewinder with the Inferno woodburning option. It is a gassifier type stove for much better combustion efficency and weighs in at 3.5 oz.

The Inferno, like the Hexagon, is conical in shape and concentrates the heat. But, unlike the Hexagon, the Inferno does a better job of keeping the heat on the pot as the pot sits slightly down inside the outer cone on two ti stake cross supports. 

Storage for the Sidewinder Inferno is compact because it just rolls up and fits inside its Tyvek storage sleeve and then inside the dedicated pot.

Here are two different approaches to cone shaped stoves, one thin roll-up ti and the other thicker, hinged ti. Both stoves demonstrate that cones concentrate heat very well. As a fan of woodburning stoves ever since I owned a commercial Hobo stove as a kid in the 1950s it's good to see the development of woodburning stoves taking off.

3:08 p.m. on October 19, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

If your a fan of woodburning stoves, I recommend looking into the Bushcooker series from fourdog.com, they are wood-gassifiers as well . I have the Bushcooker LT 1 and absolutely love it. It weighs 2.5 oz, and will nest neatly inside a Snowpeak 700, or similar size mug. It works well with a 700ml mug, but works even better with my Snowpeak 900 being just a touch wider.

You can also easily use it as an alcohol stove, or esbit. I usually carry a few oz of alcohol for those times when you want a quick no fuss boil such as for morning coffee. Otherwise i use it with wood to save on having to carry fuel.

Before the bushcooker I used a design posted here on trailspace a while back by trouthunter(though i think the design was actually from somewhere else?) that you can easily make yourself in an hour or so.

1:41 p.m. on October 20, 2011 (EDT)
508 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

Thanks Rambler,

I've looked at the Bushcooker online before purchasing the CC Sidewinder Inferno stove. The Bushcooker is a good stove but needs a taller pot for storage. I perefer the heat efficient lower, wider pots and use a plastic cup for drinking. Thus I ended up with the Inferno.

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply