Outdoor clothing jackpot!

7:40 p.m. on October 21, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

So a "Savers" store just opened up here in my town. It is similar to a good will, salvation army store where all items are donated items and are sold for anywhere from 1-10$ typically.

So I went in this evening and spent a grand total of 23$ and got a real score.

Jersey Man's Heavy Olive Round Neck x2 -If you don't know what this is, this is the British SAS Army wool sweater from WW2, i was very surprised to see 2 of them in my size there. This item is quite hard to find in the US.

Eddie Baur italian merino wool stretch midweight sweater

TNF synthetic summit series cargo shorts

800fp down lands end jacket

I am one happy camper. So here is your friendly reminder to scope out your local stores, you never know what you will find!

7:44 p.m. on October 21, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Nice score dude!!!!!!!!!

7:57 p.m. on October 21, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Very nice score indeed. 

8:04 p.m. on October 21, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

Heck, I would have paid 23$ for the Jerseys alone

8:09 p.m. on October 21, 2011 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Nice, VERY NICE!!! :)

10:00 p.m. on October 21, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,457 reviewer rep
5,393 forum posts

A number of years ago, we were shopping one of the local Goodwills for a Halloween costume for our, at that time very young, son. I happened across a full Body Glove wet suit in my size for $10. I don't use it much, but when the effective price came out to be pennies per use, ....

When we were rebuilding the house, we donated a lot of good stuff to Goodwill that was in excellent condition, but that we no longer had use for. Some was outdoor gear, though most wasn't . Here in SiliVal, there are a lot of people who have more money than they know what to do with, so they buy ski gear twice a season (Goodwill does not take skis as donations, due to some liability rules, but you can get some really fancy ski duds), lots of filled jackets (have to pick the right fashion year, though, since filled jackets go in and out of fashion - some people don't like to look like Bibendum - and if you don't know who Bibendum is, well, ....). Not too many sleeping bags, though, but the occasional mountaineering double boot and some rock shoes that aren't too worn.

10:25 p.m. on October 21, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,347 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

Who is Bibendum? :)

3:02 a.m. on October 22, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Awesome score! I like Savers myself, I seem to find more there then at GW or SA. Ive gotten lots of Merino wool sweaters at Savers, some good for base layer some good for mid. Never paid anymore then about $7 for em.

I seen a couple real heavy button up Merino sweaters that sadly where to small for me for $15 each. I didnt buy them but thought about it a couple days later to go get them and put on here for what I paid but they were gone by then.

9:26 a.m. on October 22, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

Good deal TheRambler!

I got my first pair of FGL boots and my first real sleeping bag at a store called Unclaimed Freight in Lafayette Georgia.

Subsequent trips yielded a Lowe Alpine Contour IV backpack, a Eureka Timberline tent, and multiple other goodies for pennies on the dollar.

I go to local Goodwill stores about once a month now to look for bargains.

Much of this stuff I have acquired very cheaply and it has also made great loaner gear over the years.

6:58 a.m. on October 24, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
913 forum posts

My neighbor picked up one of those big Ozark-trails tent for $5 bucks.  He sold it to me for $5. My son used it on a car camping trip to NC with his friend's family. He said it rained all day for several days but it kept he and his friend dry.

9:50 a.m. on October 24, 2011 (EDT)
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

Sweet find.

My rule is, don't ever pay retail for gear.

Bill, the Goodwill stores in your area must have different rules than the ones here because I just picked up a sweet pair of Salomon Crossmax skis last week for $15.  They go in for tuning next week. 

8:42 p.m. on October 24, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
488 reviewer rep
1,087 forum posts

I'm fond of purchasing funky-pattered poly dress shirts from Goodwill.  They wick very well, have a thick weave to keep out sun and ticks, and cost .75$!

9:37 p.m. on October 24, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

Good score.  At the moment I am washing my Lowe Alpine pants and hard shell pieces from Goodwill.  Got to love it.

10:40 p.m. on October 24, 2011 (EDT)
2,457 reviewer rep
5,393 forum posts

Bibendum is the Michelin Man. He was invented when the Michelin brothers invented the first removable tire, originally for a bicycle in the 19th Century. This was followed by car tires, the first radial tire, and many more. The name was borrowed from a restaurant in France and is Latin for "drink". The original Bibendum was on the fat side.

Relevance to the thread? A lot of the high fashion crowd believes that filled jackets make one look like Bibendum. You can see where they get the idea from this modern, slimmed down Bibendum (from a link to a Michelin company website). The Bibendums up to the 1980s were much more, shall we say, rotund.

a545f3562d842f0193e99723f4e92c45

3:31 a.m. on October 25, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Bibendum's other family members include the Pillsbury Dough Boy and my favorite member of the family,  the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man who stared in the 1984 Ghost Busters Movie.

FromSagetoSnow said :

"My rule is, don't ever pay retail for gear."

Indeed, even for new gear, but again don't ever pay retail for gear.  Words to live "buy".

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply