About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Best/affordable hydration pack

12:23 p.m. on October 24, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I'm looking for a reasonably priced hydration pack that would be good for day hikes, disc golf, and festivals (music). Any suggestions are appreciated! I have been looking at the camelbak Cloud Walker and Mule.

1:20 p.m. on October 24, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Get a pack with more water capacity than you think you will need and I have found that having the ability to have/use a belt that goes around the lower torso does make for great stability when on difficulty parts of a day hike or mountain biking or trail running, etc

1:24 p.m. on October 24, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,249 reviewer rep
5,186 forum posts

Have you looked at the Trailspace reviews of hydration packs? Admittedly, 356 reviews is a rather large group to sort through. You can narrow the search down a bit by specifying whether you want something that just is a hydration pack (Camelbak's Classic) or has a carrying capacity to include a lunch, rain gear, and other items. Many full-size packs have a pocket inside to hold a hydration bladder, if you have a lot of gear to haul with you (maybe even enough room for your guitar, banjo, and mandolin for the music festival).

5:54 p.m. on October 24, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

jmckee10-welcome to Trailspace.

I am with Bill on this one. There are alot of contributing factors to what type of hydration pack will suit your needs.

From what I get out of you original post you are leaning towards a pack that will hold more than just a bladder(even on dayhikes I like to eat lol.)

Then again I may very well be wrong and I do not like to assume anymore. So if possible could ya give us a rundown of exactly what you are looking for in a pack?

Happy hiking.

8:36 p.m. on October 24, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

Don't pay retail.  Steepandcheap.com had a lot of them this spring.  When they change models they dump the old ones there. You can use www.sacalerts.com to set up alerts when an item becomes available.

If you need it sooner check www.geartrade.com first then ebay and www.departmentofgoods.com

April 20, 2014
Quick Reply