First Ascent BC MicroTherm jacket.

8:06 p.m. on November 1, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hey everyone, I have a question in regards to a product that I was hoping some of you could help me out on.

Since the recent down threads and the weather is changing I figured now was as good a time to ask as any.

What do ya think of First Ascents BC MicroTherm Down Jacket? It combines the BC 200 waterproof shell with 800 fill down. It retails for $300 so while not overly expensive its not cheap either. Although it does seem very functional.

Before I ramble too much I will wait to see what kind of feedback I get in regards to this item. Thanks in advance.

Here is a link:

http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=40146&&categoryId=16&categoryName=OUTERWEAR--BLAZERS&pCategoryId=2&pCategoryName=MEN&gpCategoryId=1&gpCategoryName=EB&catPath=~~categoryId=16~~categoryName=OUTERWEAR--BLAZERS~~pCategoryId=2~~pCategoryName=MEN~~gpCategoryId=1~~gpCategoryName=EB&viewAll=y&pg=1

I am looking at the Limeade version due to the darker colored liner. 

9:49 p.m. on November 1, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

I prefer dedicated hard and soft shells, so combining down with a shell goes against my religion.

Ed

2:16 p.m. on November 2, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,295 forum posts

seems like it would be good for downhill skiing or putting on when you stop moving - doesn't seem like it's made to layer underneath.  most of the time, if i need something that warm for hiking, i'm inclined to wear something that handles moisture better - layers that wick, polarfleece, etc. 

8:09 p.m. on November 3, 2011 (EDT)
447 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

What Ed sed.

11:03 p.m. on November 3, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,065 forum posts

I am with leadbelly on this jacket.Rather have layers and add than a large jacket. That to me is more a campsite or sking piece. Like the idea but think it would be to much.

11:14 p.m. on November 3, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Believe it or not other than a down bag I own no down gear at all.

I know, I know... I'm a weirdo. I have a couple high end fleece jackets, a few soft shells, and a few hardshells.. I was actually using a Burton 3/2 jacket for a few years as my shell. I have 2 of them and they honestly work pretty well...

I know down is beloved and I am not saying I won't ever use it but I haven't been that big of a fan... at least not yet.

12:18 p.m. on November 4, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,065 forum posts

Like any article of gear.You have your diehards and your testers.It's about what worlks for you and you found it.So stick with what You like.

1:23 p.m. on November 4, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

I have one FA article in my kit....it is the Hangfire Hoodie. I love its design and construction. Looks like this line is well thought out. I have POURED over its offerings. Am looking at more items, though I really am down to so few needed for my trip that I may not get much of this in the bag.

2:09 p.m. on November 4, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,065 forum posts

giftogab said:

I have one FA article in my kit....it is the Hangfire Hoodie. I love its design and construction. Looks like this line is well thought out. I have POURED over its offerings. Am looking at more items, though I really am down to so few needed for my trip that I may not get much of this in the bag.

Construction and design of their products are awesome.But a down jacket for myself is just to hot for me.I like layering because I get to contol the themastate I wear.One large jacket would make me uncomfertible to hike.

September 30, 2014
Quick Reply