Pack Volume Question

10:04 p.m. on November 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

After doing some research I am deciding on buying the Osprey Exos pack, but am not sure whether I should get the 46L or 34L. Most of my trips last 3 days give or take a few. I am switching from a 55L which just had to much empty space, tempting me to bring unnecessary items. I am moving towards being as lightweight and as frugal as possible. So my question is, how difficult is it to make it a week with a 34L pack? I think I could do it I just want to hear if this is normal or going too small. I should add I don't do much cold weather camping, so I never have to carry a tremendous amount of clothing layers.

Thanks

10:24 p.m. on November 2, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace cypher185,

Everybody has a different idea of what is needed or wanted in their pack. Really the only one who knows how much space you need is you. I would suggest taking any and all the gear you would normaly bring to your shop/store and see if it will fit in the pack your looking at. (this is common, you wont be the only one to do it)

It is best to try on the pack with weight in it too. So this way you can find out if the pack will work for ya comfort wise also.

Your Pack is an important piece of gear, a poor fitting uncomfortable one can really make for a bad trip.

Take your time and choose what works best for you. Good luck and hope this helps

5:07 a.m. on November 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
398 forum posts

cypher185 said:

tempting me to bring unnecessary items

always a strange thing to read in lightweight discussions.

I don't have anything to add.  Sounds as if you know your own hike, and that should be where you lean.  Maybe my only question would be about versatility.  Do you plan to only own one pack?  Is this going to be one pack of a group?  If I was planning to only own one pack, I'd want it to be versatile and something I could continue to use if my interests changed.  If I did want to venture into winter camping, or into longer treks, I'd want the option of space the larger model would afford me.  But then I'd maybe be looking into one of the McHale systems that would allow me to pull out the frame and roll down the pack to meet whatever size I wanted.  I realize this flies in the face of going frugal, but that is one option I would personally consider worth exploring.

9:05 a.m. on November 3, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

I have a 55L for winter trips or colder trips, so this wont be my only pack. Thanks for the tips, I will take my gear in and try to load the pack up and see how it all fits and works out. I wasn't sure if that was a common practice or not. Should pretty much answer my question.

3:41 a.m. on November 4, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Come spring time when everybody is starting to plan there summer time ventures the local REI here has all kinds of folks trying on and walking around the store with loaded packs and new boots.

7:24 a.m. on November 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
596 forum posts

It is not just the total volume that counts, but how that volume is apportioned. If the sections are too small, you will be frustrated trying to fit certain items, while other space is wasted; if the sections are too few, you will always be digging for essentials that should be ready-to-hand. Location of the storage is also critical for load balance.

Regards,

Reed

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply