New Waterproof Jacket

6:31 p.m. on November 6, 2011 (EST)
9 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

I've been researching all the new technology in waterproof jackets.  I've tried many on.  Seems like the more expensive the jacket the less you actually get! How's that you ask?  Well, I tried on a few Arcteryx jackets that were very expensive and looked nice on however the pockets were small, didnt have a powder skirt which is always nice for skiing.  Didnt have enough pockets and all for over $500.  The local outdoor shops I've visited many of the sales people brag about the waterproof zippers.  Ah, ok.

I've boiled down to a couple.  Marmot Alpinist which for $500+ it appears you do get a lot.  Many pockets, powder skirt etc.  I'm also very interested in Flylow.  Has anyone out there have/had the Higgins or Quantum jackets?  The look very nice, all seem to get fantasic reviews and they are under $400. Thanks for your time.

6:39 p.m. on November 6, 2011 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

I have a number of Arcteryx and Marmot clothing.  Arcteryx is worlds ahead in fit and quality.  The only reason that I have any Marmot clothing is because it is much less expensive but you get what you pay for.

Which Arcteryx models did you try?  

7:00 p.m. on November 6, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Buy both and check the fit.

$100 cheaper is not cheaper if it does not fit right.

8:13 p.m. on November 6, 2011 (EST)
9 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

I tried the Sabre which was nice but it didnt have a lot of pockets

Also tried the sting ray and Stinger

8:14 p.m. on November 6, 2011 (EST)
9 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

Nothing on Flylow?

9:57 p.m. on November 6, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,283 forum posts

not familiar with flylow. 

the westcomb vapor fx has a removable powder skirt and it waterproof/breathable eVent, if the skirt is important for you.  that marmot jacket looks very nice too.   

'arcteryx is worlds ahead in fit and quality' and 'marmot is much less expensive' - one man's personal experience, but i don't give it much credence.  both brands make good jackets (i have a marmot pro shell jacket that has been particularly bombproof for a number of years), both will gladly charge you over $500 for their top of the line, and fit depends as much on you as the brand. 

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply