I Love Winter in Alaska...

7:37 p.m. on November 14, 2011 (EST)
15 reviewer rep
204 forum posts

... as I have 13 inches of snow at the house right now, and every morning we have to clear the 3 foot snow berm at the base of our driveway otherwise we can't get out...

so ... was just checking all my winter gear and I'm lacking.  Anyone have any recommendations for snowshoes for a 300 pound dude?  Seems that I need a pair as I did NOT enjoy post-holing 5 mile trails last winter.... so it would be nice to not sink as deep in the snow..

9:19 p.m. on November 14, 2011 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Bigger is better is about all I can offer.  I don't weigh half that (well more than half with a pack) so smaller shoes work for me.

If you look on the wintertrekking website (www.wintertrekking.com) the guys and gals up there use the big traditional Native American or First Nations style shoes for flat country. Check out the snowshoe articles on the site for pictures.

http://wintertrekking.com/snowshoeing/

September 20, 2014
Quick Reply