Backcountry pillow's

11:49 a.m. on November 19, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Does any one have any experience with any type of Backcountry pillow(s)? For my up coming trip to Thailand I will have to have a pillow to even begin to get a reasonable nights sleep. I know some of you will think that I wimpy and that's ok. When backpacking and or on my Motorcycle trips I always bring a pillow. With what's going on for this trip I'm going to have six weeks worth of gear, clothing and assorted crap including three fishing reels and four fishing poles and lures so I'd rather avoid a "full size pillow". A down pillow is out as it compress thereby defeating my needs of pillow as well as I'll be in a warm climate and it will be to hot. I've tried in the past to take a pillow case and stuff it will available clothing but it's just to horribly lumpy and at some point when most of your clothing is dirty and stinky it makes for a rather nasty night. I see that Them-a- rest has a pillow(s) in sizing S,M, L. All thoughts on the matter are welcome including making fun of me if necessary for taking pillows on backpacking trips. ;-}>

12:32 p.m. on November 19, 2011 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

I either use my sleeping bag stuff sack filled with extra clothing as a pillow or blow up my camelbak water bag for a nice pillow.

I like a good pillow, can't sleep with my head just laying on the ground. But using gear you already have despite the lighness of an extra pillow is to me a way to make my gear more useful than what it is made for.

I also use my sleeping pad as a partial pillow if I roll up one end a bit.

1:08 p.m. on November 19, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,097 forum posts

I use sleeping bag storage bag and clothing,.My brother uses's therma rest pillow and has zero complaints. It's to make up for the 23 yrs sleepig in the field while in the military.He makes no quams about a pillow to sleep with.Also learned a new one from gary now.

1:19 p.m. on November 19, 2011 (EST)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

I have tried all these below and in this order of trial,

Once I got to the Coccon Series I was very happy though took a step back to the Cocoon Ultralight Air-Core Pillow. 

I have found that this pillow is the best foir me because,

- small (when inflated) but not too small

- micro fiber on one side and ripstop nylon on the other side.  The micro fiber grips the inside of the sleeping bag hood or the sleeping pad very well and my head or hood sides easily and quietly on the ripstop, thus not pushing the pillow away.

- packs down very small

- very light

- easy and quick to inflate

- has a very thin amount of synthetic fill on the outside of the bladder but under the microfiber and ripstop

- I take a pillow just because and I love this one

If I was to recommend or buy again I would buy this one,

Cocoon Ultralight Air-Core Pillow. 

REI Self-Inflating Travel Pillow

440onlyAtRei_diagonal.png

AND,

Therm-a-Rest Compressible Pillow

AND,

Eagle Creek Sandman Travel Pillow

440pixel.gif

AND,

Cocoon Ultralight Air-Core Pillow

440pixel.gif

AND,

Cocoon Hyperlite Pillow

pixel.gif

5:43 p.m. on November 19, 2011 (EST)
60 reviewer rep
115 forum posts

I bought an Equinox Armadillo pillow this spring.  I have been very happy with it after 20+ uses.  It has nice thick cushioning, different fabric on each side(one is smooth and water resistant the other soft fleece).  It rolls up about the size of a coffee can.  When rolled up it works nice for reading.  It folds in half nicely for side sleeping.  The price was reasonable and it was the only one I saw in the store made in America.  

http://www.equinoxltd.com/the-gear/blankets-and-pillows/armadillo-pillow.cfm

7:25 p.m. on November 19, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
913 forum posts

I assume you have a compression sack somewhere.  Go to Walmart and look in the throw pillow area.  They have some nice foam rubber ones that should compress well.  Take the stuffing out, put it in you compression sack, sew it shut and wa la... a compressible pillow.

2:18 p.m. on November 20, 2011 (EST)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Oh this goign to turn into a fight, aka a pillow ............

3:31 p.m. on November 20, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,347 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

I have the Therm-a-Rest pillow pictured by Callahan above (the red one ... though mine is blue & grey).  I use it for car camping because I find it far too bulky to pack for backpacking.  But other than that it does work out great.  I have the small size, and it fits nicely in the hood of my mummy bag.

When I'm backpacking I use my Marmot down sweater stuffed in an extra small stuff sack, and it does the trick as well - without carrying anything extra, since I carry the down sweater on all my Sierra backpacking trips anyway.

7:13 p.m. on November 20, 2011 (EST)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Whats a pillow? Dont even use one at home. LOL But there is good insight here. You guys are making me re-think this. I might grab one of Ritas and give it a try at home.

7:57 p.m. on November 20, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

ocalacomputerguy said:

I assume you have a compression sack somewhere.  Go to Walmart and look in the throw pillow area.  They have some nice foam rubber ones that should compress well.  Take the stuffing out, put it in you compression sack, sew it shut and wa la... a compressible pillow.

Actually, of all the things I have, and they are many, one of the things I don't have is a compression sack.  I always use larger type backpacks so that I don't need to use compression sacks.  I'll have to think about that now.  Your idea is has merit.

11:08 p.m. on November 20, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
573 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

When I was a teenager, I used to stuff a can of beans in my cowboy boot and use that for my pillow.  Not any more, though!

I've tried a bunch of backpacking pillows and have never been completely satisfied with any of then.  Among others, I've used a stuff sack that was fleece lined that you turn inside out and stuff with a jacket or whatever.  Didn't like it.  I've used the Cocoon pillow pictured above, too.  Didn't like that either.

Might try the Big Agnes one next.  It looks promising:

http://www.rei.com/product/763904/big-agnes-air-core-pillow

10:24 a.m. on November 21, 2011 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

MikeMorrow said: Whats a pillow? Dont even use one at home. LOL But there is good insight here. You guys are making me re-think this. I might grab one of Ritas and give it a try at home

Oh-oh! We are getting members to try thing and ad extra weight to their gear, Wahooo-ooo!

11:33 a.m. on November 21, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
827 reviewer rep
586 forum posts

I have this pillow:  http://ultralightdesigns.com/products/sleeping/flexAirPillow.html

It is ultralight and very packable, but it is an air pillow.  It is pretty durable, I have not had it fail on me yet.  I use it in a cheap cotton pillowcase and I place it under the head of my sleeping bag.  It is small enough to fit in the width of the case and then I extend the extra case material so it lies under my back.  This way the pillow does not slide out from under my head.  I have never fully inflated it because it would be too firm.  I haven't had any problems with my head rolling off of it during the night.  It does make a little crinkling noise but once you stop moving, it is quiet.  Plus, they're cheap and you get three of them.

2:12 p.m. on November 21, 2011 (EST)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

bheiser1 said:

I have the Therm-a-Rest pillow pictured by Callahan above (the red one ... though mine is blue & grey).  I use it for car camping because I find it far too bulky to pack for backpacking.  But other than that it does work out great.  I have the small size, and it fits nicely in the hood of my mummy bag.

When I'm backpacking I use my Marmot down sweater stuffed in an extra small stuff sack, and it does the trick as well - without carrying anything extra, since I carry the down sweater on all my Sierra backpacking trips anyway.

I still have the Therm-A-Rest and that too is all I use it for.

5:29 p.m. on November 21, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,703 reviewer rep
1,333 forum posts

the thermarest compressible pillow above is filled with soft foam blocks and is my current solution.  it compresses into itself and doesn't weigh much.  it is OK as a pillow.  none of these holds a candle to the memory foam pillow i use at home, but i'm not exactly going to lug that monstrosity up a mountain. 

5:34 p.m. on November 21, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I have found that my stuff sack of clothes does the job. Maybe I am missing something here. I can see me on the trail now with my memory foam pillow strapped to the outside of my pack.

7:40 p.m. on November 21, 2011 (EST)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

Rick you sounding like my daughter!  The last few times we went camping she took one of her pillows with her!  Way to funny to me.  She has also used one of those stuffed animals that unfolds to act like a pillow, it must weigh close to 3 lb's by it's self.  :)  But she's the one hauling it so I guess it's her choice.

I am thinking about the pillow set that Rob5073 linked.  Hard to match that price and for three too!!  Maybe we will all get pillows from Santa.

Wolfman

7:55 p.m. on November 21, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

She has a Puff-a-lump? I would love to have one of those on the trail. Would give me someone to talk to besides the chipmunks etc...

Wait a sec.... ummmm... nevermind. So how is everyone today? :p

9:17 p.m. on November 21, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
827 reviewer rep
586 forum posts

Wolf, I think there are two sizes. Get the largest size.

9:20 p.m. on November 21, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,333 reviewer rep
628 forum posts

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/SleepingBags/StuffSacksPillows/PRD~5023-543/mec-base-camp-pillow.jsp

I have this one. I like it quite alot. Silicone dots on the underside so it doesn't slide all over the place and top is adequetly soft. I've never been a ultralighter and a good sleep is worth to 200 or so grams. It has the foam inserts as well as inflating and allows me to dial into the firmness I desire.

11:54 p.m. on November 21, 2011 (EST)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

ZZZZZzzzzzzzz

12:27 a.m. on November 22, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
109 forum posts

Like BHeiser, I have that same Thermarest pillow, used only for car-camping trips for the same reason - it's so bulky it takes up most of the space in my pack.  I recently purchased an inflatable pillow from Kooka Bay for my "go light!" backpacking treks, but haven't actually used it yet.  It packs-up tiny, so that's good, but I'm skeptical that I'll like the feel of the material on my face - it just feels "slick", like my head will slide off it in the middle of the night. 

December 18, 2014
Quick Reply