About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Are sheepskin mittens a good idea?

3:07 p.m. on November 21, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

has anyone ever use sheepskin mittens on a hike?

3:26 p.m. on November 21, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

gkm09 said:

has anyone ever use sheepskin mittens on a hike?

Hi gkm09 and welcome to Trailspace,

"Are sheepskin mittens a good idea?"

Seeing as though  I raise sheep, I thought I’d go out and ask them what them what they thought, the consensus was "Not for the Sheep!"

All kidding aside. Are the sheep skin mittens your only choice? I can see no reason that they would not be a good choice when hiking or back packing esp. if your using a glove liner so that when you have to take the mittens off to do things that require finger dexterity you still have some kind of protection in the cold.

3:48 p.m. on November 21, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,684 reviewer rep
1,278 forum posts

I am assuming you actually are refering to sheepskin and not wool. Sheepskin is very similar to a traditional leather. Leather gloves work just fine for mittens and gloves, though not always the best choice for just hiking. I tend to only use leather gloves of an sort when working, choping wood, etc. Otherwise I use a goretex shell mitten, much lighter, and more comfortable IMO.

That being said, you can certainly use them, and they will work fine. But I do recommend having some sort of liner glove, your exact weather conditions and temps expected would determine how thick of a liner you need. I prefer a thin wool glove liner, and also have a thicker wool liner for the colder temps.

6:35 p.m. on November 21, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
405 reviewer rep
821 forum posts

While sheepskin mittens would work in dry, cold weather, they are not waterproof and would quickly absorb water. They were(and are fine) for unheated aircraft cockpits. I still have my father's two finger mittens that he used in WW 2.

11:55 p.m. on November 21, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Erich said:

While sheepskin mittens would work in dry, cold weather, they are not waterproof and would quickly absorb water. They were(and are fine) for unheated aircraft cockpits. I still have my father's two finger mittens that he used in WW 2.

DITTTTTTO

April 23, 2014
Quick Reply