Westcomb Apoc Neoshell Jacket

7:00 p.m. on November 30, 2011 (EST)
9 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

I received the new Westcomb Apoc Neoshell jacket today.  I have to admit, I am impressed.  Its very light.  The new Neoshell fabric is similar to eVent.  The jacket itself is really nice.  IT HAS HUGE PIT ZIPS!  I tried on the new Marmot Zion Neoshell jacket the other day at REI.  It DIDNT have pit zips.  The Westcomb is a much nicer jacket.  I've been trying to get some info on a good all around breathable jacket and I think I just hit a home run with this.  I put it to the test.  I have an Arcteryx Gortex Proshell jacket I put on and jumped on my stationary bike for about 1/2 hr.  I was pretty hot, clammy, miserable.  Almost felt the same way when I wear that jacket in the summer/warmer months in a rain storm.  I dont know why they say Gortex Proshell breaths because it doesnt.  After about an hour of cool down I put the new Westcomb on.  I rode for 1/2 hour.  I felt good.  I was sweating but not nearly as much as I was in the Gortex Proshell.  The fabric just feels really comfortable.  I could feel the heat coming off of my arms much more noticeable than with the Gortex.  The Gortex jacket I felt like I was wearing a suit of armor.  I would give this 2 thumbs up across the board.

Jacket has a nice chest pocket.  2 hand pockets, inner pocket.  Nice big hood which cinches down nice over a helmut or a hat.  I really like this.  I cant say how it will truly perform in rain, sleet or snow.  I ran it under a faucet and the water simply beaded off, no problems.  Dont know how/if it penetrates wind.  If anyone is looking for a waterproof breathable jacket I would strongly recommend the Westcomb Apoc.  Good stuff.  :)

1:10 p.m. on December 2, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,283 forum posts

is it a hard shell, a soft shell, or a hybrid? how much stretch does the main body material have?

i'm curious because a truly waterproof/breathable soft shell would be nice, and perhaps a decent improvement. 

1:22 a.m. on December 3, 2011 (EST)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

I just bought one this week, and it is a hard shell...BUT it feels more like a softshell.  

I am gonna be selling my Westcomb Cruiser because I really like this new Apoc.  Sewing and construction on it are impeccable.

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply