north face and polartec neoshell

8:43 a.m. on December 4, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,298 forum posts

went into a new North Face retail store that just opened near where i live.  it's very nice.  very shiny, lots of silver mannequins sporting nice jackets.  shocking full retail prices.  still, i like seeing it more than most other stores.  

i asked a clerk if north face is going to have any garments made of polartec neoshell - he said 'not this season.'  but he did say that marmot has a nice neoshell jacket.  i appreciated the honesty, but i thought north face was going to adopt this fabric.

Gore flexing its muscles....

2:44 p.m. on December 4, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
911 forum posts

Two things.

1. The clerk recommended a different brand. To me that means he cared about the customer.

2. At a new store they had clerk that knew what you were talking about and had knowledge of other brands.

6:45 p.m. on December 5, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

The North Face is using Polartec NeoShell to make their new F11 Jammu Jacket. Mountain Gear has them for sale online. (Trailspace won't let me include link.)

8:09 p.m. on December 5, 2011 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,311 forum posts

Fielding said:

...(Trailspace won't let me include link.)

After you have been around for a while, and established yourself as a "regular" (and not a spammer promoting your own or your employer's business), you will be able to post links. This is not against you personally, but because Trailspace has been getting literally hundreds of spam messages and it has become necessary to do some filtering and vetting of new members to keep the members from having to wade through all the junk.

In the meantime, here is the link I think you are referring to. It is their regular price, though, not "on sale". There are equivalent jackets that Mountain Gear has by other companies for less, and on their holiday sale.

Welcome to Trailspace, and stick around. Folks are mostly pretty friendly around here (except for spammers) and full of useful advice. I notice your profile is pretty blank. Post a bit about yourself and your interests on your profile.

8:10 p.m. on December 5, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,298 forum posts

the clerk had pretty good gear knowledge and integrity.  i don't think retailers appreciate how valuable that honesty is; it can actually pull customers back to a store in the long run.  my favorite duffel bag got lost last summer; those north face heavy duffel bags are expensive but seem well-built, and the XL size looks large enough to hold my winter gear.  

i don't understand why north face would roll out a brand new jacket yet not sell it in their retail stores or show it on their website.  (check their website for that jacket - it's not there).  i assume they decided not to bring it to market this year, but that the website you identified somehow got their hands on a few of the jackets north face farmed out to the outdoors community to test.

no matter.  i'm done with gear purchases for a while and don't need the jacket; i was curious about the fabric.

11:40 a.m. on December 6, 2011 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

the north face were supposed to be releasing the jammu neoshell in december,

marmot neoshells have been in short supply, often selling out online,

i wonder if it is a hard product to produce en masse, reviewers have had the jammu for the best part of a year and given it good ratings. but who's going to wait if hyou want one and several other brands are selling them like westcomb and rab. mammut, 66 north.

there aree two types of neoshell, one with  a microfleece and one without, the northface has the microfleece

2:51 p.m. on December 6, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I was simply trying to share some useful information with leadbelly2550. I thought that's what forums are all about.

I said "for sale" not "on sale".

Thanks for welcoming me to Trailspace.

3:23 p.m. on December 6, 2011 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Fielding,As Bill says, you were not being selected for editing of your post for no apparent reason. This site is often the target of spammers. Just last week, someone posted over 400 (434 to be exact) spam messages in the gear review forum promoting websites selling counterfeit goods.  Incidents like that one are the reason the site has such policies.

There is a reason ISPs have spam filters and now websites have to have them too-here it is a combination of software and moderators who try to catch whatever gets by the software and there is a lot that you will never see because of this. I've seen forums on other sites become absolutely useless because of spam and no controls on what gets posted.

3:52 p.m. on December 6, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

ocalacomputerguy said:

Two things.

1. The clerk recommended a different brand. To me that means he cared about the customer.

2. At a new store they had clerk that knew what you were talking about and had knowledge of other brands.

good points

7:04 p.m. on December 6, 2011 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,311 forum posts

Fielding said:

I said "for sale" not "on sale".

Sorry. Actually I was referring to the fact that Mountain Gear has been sending me (and everyone else on their mailing lists) emails promoting their "holiday sales!!!" heavily, plus magazine ads. All that publicity gives the impression that everything they sell is "On Sale!!!" with huge discounts, free shipping, etc etc. I was just noting that the TNF NeoShell is not among their sale items, though they list it on their website. I have not checked the store to see if it really is in stock (other shops are listing it as "soon, so put your name on our waiting list"). Paul Fish is a good guy, and his shop does stock a lot of great gear at good prices, plus in my experience provides good service. But sometimes, like the current string of Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Giant Holiday Sale, and a new Sale! catalog every week or two since early November, it gets a bit overwhelming. If someone really wants to order on line rather than patronize and support their local shop, Mountain Gear is a pretty good place to deal with - knowledgeable people, good prices, lots of stuff in stock (especially when you are about to head out on a road trip or expedition and you either don't have a local shop anymore or REI/EMS doesn't have the needed item). But I do recommend first going to your local specialty shop. We are down to 2 in the SF Bay Area from the dozen 20 years ago - Sunrise in Livermore and Marmot in Berkeley (spun off from the Marmot manufacturing company almost 30 years ago, and at one time had 5 shops, now down to the one in Berkeley and the one in Washington state).  When ordering something special on line, though, I prefer to deal with Gary Neptune's shop, Neptune Mountaineering, in Boulder, Colorado, though I have a much stronger preference for going into Neptune's in person when in Colorado, for the wonderful displays of classic climbing gear he has hung on the walls.

9:42 p.m. on December 28, 2011 (EST)
9 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

If your interested in Neoshell I would highly recommend you check out the Westcomb Apoc.  I've had this jacket for about 2 months now and its the best jacket I now own.  Its superlight but is waterproof, BREATHABLE and well made.  I've done everything in this jacket so far such as mtn bike in pouring rain, hike.  Its fantastic

10:13 p.m. on December 28, 2011 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

I have my beady little eye on one of those and am glad to hear that it is another winner for Westcomb. I also like the look of their Mirage jacket, any experience using that model?

October 20, 2014
Quick Reply