GPS/Emergency beacon

7:28 p.m. on December 4, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
605 forum posts

So I know I've had a conversation here before about SPOT and GPS systems, but I have narrowed down my first possible buy. Granted it will be a while because of cost...

I want to get the new Delorme InReach with PN-60w for SOS communication and trip tracking. My reasoning is that more and more I am finding that the areas I hike and climb during winter are much much less populated and hiked than they are in summer. It's not my intention to use this for twitter or facebook, I think that's stupid. It's my intention to have a backup for emergencies so for SOS I know I'll always have reception.

Cell phones are not always getting reception.

Please, save the anti-tech gear comments and arguments for another post. I know everyone doesn't like this stuff, but it is not my intent to rely on only this piece of electronic gear. I will still be prepared, do research, have the gear I need, and have the knowledge I need for any hike I undertake, otherwise I wouldn't be on the trip.

So if you want to bash these devices, please save it, I'd rather get helpful info instead.

So....anybody know much about these? The terminology and tech-speak on DeLorme's site confuses me. How do they link up for use?

December 29, 2014
Quick Reply