Kindle Fire?

1:00 p.m. on December 9, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,164 forum posts

Don't know if this is the right place to post but has anyone tried the new Kindle Fire? I am interested in getting something light to store my digital camera images on when I go hiking and biking for long trips. I would like something I can actually see the images on and be able to caption and label them in the field. In the past I usually have to wait till I get back to the TH or the next town when cycle touring to load them onto a standard laptop.

thumbnail.jpg

2:31 p.m. on December 28, 2011 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Wait a little bit before buying. There have been some bugs that need to be worked out. Software updates in near future though-per Amazon. I am going to wait a few more months for Amazon to work out the kinks. I like their customer service though. My Kindle reader had a problem with the screen after five months. They gave me a new one for free and no shipping costs and told me to throw the other one away.

1:29 a.m. on December 31, 2011 (EST)
36 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

The Fire is a great device if you love consuming content from Amazon (books, music, games, online shopping, movies, etc).

But for me it's a bit limited and lacking features such as a camera, bluetooth, GPS, a SD card slot (important if you going to loading and posting photos online) and a 10 inch screen. I have an Ipad 2 and a Lenovo K1 Android tablet that I got for around $300.00 and prefer those devices to the Fire.

Acer, Samsung, Toshiba and HTC offer 7 inch tablets that can do all the things the Fire can do but have more flexability and more bells and whistles albeit a bit more money. But if all you need is web browsing, access to email and all the content Amazon offers, the Kindle Fire is a killer deal at $200.00.

4:48 p.m. on December 31, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,164 forum posts

Yes, I have considered a small laptop too. I probably won't be buying anything till next summer when I am working again. Can't afford anything besides food on my work savings from last summer.

6:52 p.m. on December 31, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,295 forum posts

I think the iPad handles photos better. I wouldn't take the fire or ipad on hikes, but that's me. Lack of 3G renders the fire quite limited without wifi. Imwouldmopt for a larger memory card in the camera, personally.

5:05 p.m. on January 1, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

I have the iPad (original). I love it. I also have a macbook pro and have not cracked open any of my PC devices since. Had a DELL netbook. Sucked. Have an hp laptop. Great in the beginning.....but slow as molasses now. No amount of geeks squad or tech help has alleviated my experience with pc: THEY SIMPLY get slow over time and do nor perform as apple products do. IMHO. My sis bought the fire because it does what most of the iPad does but can afford to rok it around more. It does run many of the same apps as iProducts so is not a real limitation of measurable importance. at 200 bux, it cannot be beat if you are looking for premium device and little money to spend on it. ALSO, like REI, Amazon will replace stuff that would amaze you. Friend stepped on his Kindle, called em, told em, they replaced it!

9:32 p.m. on January 1, 2012 (EST)
36 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

giftogab said:

I have the iPad (original). I love it. I also have a macbook pro and have not cracked open any of my PC devices since. Had a DELL netbook. Sucked. Have an hp laptop. Great in the beginning.....but slow as molasses now. No amount of geeks squad or tech help has alleviated my experience with pc: THEY SIMPLY get slow over time and do nor perform as apple products do. IMHO. My sis bought the fire because it does what most of the iPad does but can afford to rok it around more. It does run many of the same apps as iProducts so is not a real limitation of measurable importance. at 200 bux, it cannot be beat if you are looking for premium device and little money to spend on it. ALSO, like REI, Amazon will replace stuff that would amaze you. Friend stepped on his Kindle, called em, told em, they replaced it!

Windows PCs get slow over time do to things like your browser cache being overloaded, registry not being cleaned out or malware being installed. I have an ACER lappy running a Intel I5 processor and once a week I run a great free program called Advanced System Care (you can find it at download.com) which cleans up your registry, scans for Malware and cleans up all the junk files. Plus a good old fashioned defrag every once in a while helps a lot as far as speed. Also keeping up with the system updates from MS keeps your PC up to date and running effiecently.

Upgrading your RAM on a PC also helps. I upgraded my lappy from 4 to 8 gigs and makes world of difference performance wise. 

Also once a year I back up all my music, photos, documents or anything I want to keep to a portable drive and do a complete sytsem restore, which restores the computer to it's factory ready condition. I just reload everything and works just like new.  

I own several Apple products and their great but am no fanboy. IMO Macbooks are great (if you can afford one) but for half the money you can buy a top of the line Windows Laptop that performs on par with a Macbook any day of the week.

September 30, 2014
Quick Reply