REI stop making Flash 65?

3:27 p.m. on December 20, 2011 (EST)
45 reviewer rep
27 forum posts

Did REI stop making the Flash 65 pack?  I can't find it on their website.  I was set to get one and now can't find it.  Until Dec 24 ('11) REI is offering 30% off REI branded merchandise and thought this would be a great time to get one.  Maybe there's an REI employee out there who knows (or someone!).

Kelly

4:57 p.m. on December 20, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,292 forum posts

when i was in the local REI a few weeks ago, they had some flash 50 or 65 packs in the store, significantly discounted.  my guess is that you might find some hanging around in a store, but that they discontinued the pack. 

12:29 a.m. on December 22, 2011 (EST)
45 reviewer rep
27 forum posts

I was at REI today and the salesperson told me they discounted the Flash 65, sold them all out and haven't received any more.  He told me they sold a lot of the Flash 65's and was really surprised they didn't have more.  He thought maybe they were redesigning it.  (But why if you have something that works and sells well???) 

Anyways looks like it's a tent for Christmas instead of a new pack!

1:04 a.m. on December 22, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

From past experience when I see something of this nature happen its typically due to an updated version/redesign being released in the near future. Companies try to sell off the prior version at a savings to the consumer as opposed to taking a complete loss on what inventory they have left.

Typically this could be a due to a redesign of pack geometry or even a few small details. Either way its a design change all the same.

I doubt that they are doing away with the Flash 65 completely. It has been somewhat of a popular pack for them at a value price point with great flexibility.

Companies always have a tendency to try and build on a popular product. Take for instance Osprey's Aether. 

There was rumor awhile back that a new version was coming out.

Some people were worried and asked "why would a company redesign something that works?"

Well out comes the new Aether and not only is it a top loader but also a panel loader. Its just as (if not more) popular now as the prior version was a few years back. 

Its all about innovation and r & d. 

Only thing is Osprey got it right. I hope if REI is redesigning or coming out with an updated version of the Flash series they follow what companies like Osprey has done and not ruin what works well. 

1:48 a.m. on December 22, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

Does anyone here know who makes these REI packs?

1:56 a.m. on December 22, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

I have noticed that REI has taken a lot of their merch off of the site. Not just their own brand stuff, but other gear too. I am looking to upgrade my pack, and was going to compare the Osprey Atmos 50 to the 65, but neither of those are on the site either. My guess is that they sold out of the stuff. 

Sorry about your rotten luck :/ 

5:23 p.m. on January 4, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Among gear changes for '12, REI is updating the Flash 65 -- now a Flash 62:

No links allowed, so google search: rei+"flash 62"

6:55 p.m. on January 4, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

@r-willy-Here is a link on some new gear coming this year from REI:

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2011/8/prweb8692067.htm

11:26 a.m. on January 5, 2012 (EST)
45 reviewer rep
27 forum posts

Well I guess this solves the mystery of what happened to the Flash 65.  I'll keep my eyes open for it in the local REI store. Just hope this isn't a "New Coke" product where they took a successful old product and tried to improve it but made it worse.  I guess there's always the Golite Pinnacle. 

12:39 p.m. on January 5, 2012 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

If you want one of the old ones...

Your local store can search all of the other stores nationwide and arrange a purchase from one of them if a store still has one.  I just did that with a Flash 30.

The current 18, 30, 50, and 65 all look like they are being closed out.

10:13 p.m. on January 5, 2012 (EST)
45 reviewer rep
27 forum posts

From what I can see and read it looks promising!  62 liters is 3,783 cubic inches.

11:10 p.m. on January 5, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

I wouldn't be scared about a "new coke" issue, it is REI after all, and, in my experiences with their product lines they do a fantastic job of listening to the public and making needed changes, not just changes for changes sake.

11:37 a.m. on January 6, 2012 (EST)
45 reviewer rep
27 forum posts

I've always liked REI products.  Spent my fair share of my paycheck there!  From the previews that I saw at the above links it looks good.  One of the things I liked about the old 65 was the stash pocket for stowing odd and wet gear.  Looks like the new pack has it too.   At this stage I'll just sit tight and wait to see the new 62. 

5:31 p.m. on January 6, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

i had a Flash 65 for a summer and returned it.  I used it on two backpacking trips; on down the Narrows in Zion and the other in the Tetons.  While I liked the features of the backpack, it killed by back.  I think the suspension was a bit too light for the loads.

I bought the Gregory Z65 as a replacement.

10:26 p.m. on January 6, 2012 (EST)
45 reviewer rep
27 forum posts

I just want a quick overnighter pack for when I go with the Scouts.  I'm really trying to get my load (inc food and water) to about 20lbs. By going lighter myself I'm demonstrating to the boys you don't need to take the kitchen sink for 24hours in the outdoors.

We once had one boy show up for an overnight camp with I kid you not a 70 lb pack! Among his load were 3 cans of soup, a shoebox with about 30 Esbit type heat tabs, a tomahawk, a full size deli sandwhich, a complete change of clothes, a Walmart 4-man tent (that had to be 10 pounds at least) and enough snacks, sweets, and treats to feed a kindergarten class for a couple days!  Funny thing is this kid has two older brothers who are Eagle Scouts and I assumed his parents kinda had this camping thing somewhat figured out.  Turns out Mom packed his pack.  Good lesson for me as a Scout leader to be more thorough on pack checks, and especially for him not to try and carry your own bodyweight in packweight!

12:36 a.m. on January 8, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

There is a Flash 65 at our REI on sale......

5:19 p.m. on January 8, 2012 (EST)
45 reviewer rep
27 forum posts

Think I'll wait and see what the new 62 has to offer.  I've watched the video associated with the REI Spring Products preview at the link Rick-Pittsburgh gave above.  It looks like it might fit my purposes.  If not I might check out that Gregory Z65 (or even Z55) mentioned earlier.

5:34 p.m. on January 8, 2012 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

The 62 I am sure will be as good as I'v read about the old flash packs. Minimulist backpackers gave them good marks.Great that you want to teach the scouts how to contain their gear and what to look for. Funny how some parents understand what a scout needs to bring and others not so much.

11:22 a.m. on January 25, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

The previous Flash 65 has moved into the REI clearance bin -- $96 for large only. Go to REI.com and enter "Flash 65".

11:12 a.m. on January 26, 2012 (EST)
45 reviewer rep
27 forum posts

I see the new Flash 62 is online at REI.com also.  The large Flash 62 looks like it's 65 liters in the large size.  (Likely my size since I'm over 6' tall.)  Thanks for keeping tabs on this r-willy!!!

4:53 p.m. on January 26, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

kelly83686 said:

I see the new Flash 62 is online at REI.com also.  The large Flash 62 looks like it's 65 liters in the large size.  (Likely my size since I'm over 6' tall.)  Thanks for keeping tabs on this r-willy!!!

That new color might take some getting used to. I grabbed a 65 at the end-of-season REI garage sale and haven't used it yet. I'm interested in what changes have been made and how the new version compares.

If you're a member (as you should be) and thinking of buying, keep in mind that there's usually a discount for REI-branded merchandise in the spring ;^)

September 16, 2014
Quick Reply