Mini-Trangia and my pot to be?

12:43 a.m. on December 24, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

Hey yall!

I got a sweet mini-trangia from my sister for Chanukah! She got me the mini and the windscreen it comes with, no pot or fry pan (I told her not too cause I have a fry-bake) so I would like to find a pot to carry it.

I already went out and bought the "Snow Peak Hybrid Summit Cookset" and learned it will not fit. Learning from my mistakes I measured the diameter of the windscreen. I was thinking of the Snow Peak 700mL, but I'm worried it will be too tight of a fit and will be difficult to get out. If anyone has these two objects will you tell me if it works?

Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance gang!

4:49 a.m. on December 24, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I have been using a Trangia stove for a long time. And have tried many combinations of stands, windscreens, and cooksets. This is my system.

100_0662.jpg

100_0473_0001.jpg

100_0507.jpg

Trangia stove. BRS 8 panel windscreen. Brunton Vapor cookset. And the stand is made by a guy on ebay. He is now building a new shop, but should be making them again soon. This is far and away the best system that I have found for this stove.

2:05 p.m. on December 25, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

I should probably look for a new windscreen/pot stands, I have not seen many good comments on the original one the Mini comes with!

and with a new windscreen/pot stand, it'll probably fit in mugs better.

12:19 a.m. on December 26, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
61 forum posts

I would keep that snow peak cookset and check out the clickstand windscreen and base. Three pieces pack together and lie almost flat when stowed. The base is a little larger and drops into the triangle formed by the other pieces. Another optional windscreen wraps around the triangle. They are available in either aluminum or titanium from campsaver or clickstand dot coms. The height of the optional windscreen is 2.5 inches so it should fit in the SnowPeak pot with the stove. Sometimes clickstand has discounted items with cosmetic blemishes. The optional outer screen does help with fuel efficiency.

12:27 a.m. on December 26, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I really like my GSI soloist set-up. I would think that it would work fairly well for an alchy stove.

2011-06-05_14-47-22_681.jpg

Here is the pot on top of a MSR Pocket Rocket to give you an idea of size along with another picture of the pot with a fuel canister in it:

033.jpg
GSI-2-004.jpg

Happy Hiking-Rick

12:45 a.m. on December 26, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
61 forum posts

The smaller GSI halulite minimalist might suffice for boiling a half liter at a time, which seems to work out right on a spirit stove. I quite favor the backcountry store brand of 700mL Ti pot, which is now available for a good price, if you've returned the snow peak set.

12:47 a.m. on December 26, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

The pot that is in the photo above is 1.1 liter. 

12:55 a.m. on December 26, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
61 forum posts

PS: Happy camping! I hope you enjoy cooking with your new stove.

6:58 a.m. on December 26, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

That clickstand Looks good. Does the stove sit above ground? I have found that airflow under the stove helps in cooler weather.

Another question; Why do most people boil in pots that are narrow and deep?

10:54 a.m. on December 26, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

I have the minimalist, it's too small and actually fits inside the windscreen. I think I'll give the soloist a try next

Mike, I think it's because people are trying to get their cookset in there and not in a stuff sack, all ya need is it big enough for a canister then some extra room for stove fork and maybe a bowl

12:20 p.m. on December 26, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I asked becouse it takes more time and fuel to boil water in a pot thats narrow and tall. My Brunton is 4 inches tall by 8.5 wide. At 50F I get a boil in around 5 min. Thats  32 oz of water for coffee.

12:31 p.m. on December 26, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
61 forum posts

Yes, the Trangia burner rests in the triangular-shaped Clikstand base and sits a few millimeters above groundline.  There's plenty of ventilation from below and up through the base.  It was designed to work with the Trangia stove but also works with the Evernew spirit stove. The outer windscreen sits up much higher than the ventilation holes and enables great combustion with a chimney-like draw.

BTW, I have tried home-grown heavy aluminum foil windscreens but moved on because the heat of the stove melts the aluminum.

Regarding the diameter of the pot, I think you want it a bit bigger than the flame.  The crown of flame from the 2-inch Triangia burner does fan out quite a bit during the initial priming phase, but then settles down. It's sad to think of fuel waste and poor heat transfer while watching the flames blow past the pot base, but once primed it settles down and all is good.

In this photo, the diameter of the pot on the left (MSR Ti ~1 liter) is 4.5 inches and on the right (backcountry 700ml) is 4 inches.  The ruler is 6 inches. The larger pot sits up on the top of the Clikstand and the smaller one sits down inside.  The smaller one is lots more stable, especially on uneven ground.  The x-shaped piece is an Evernew cross-stand from campsaver, which raises the pot about 1 cm above the burner jets.

Sorry to drone on - as you can tell the perfect setup is a bit of an obsession...

DSC_0624-1-.jpg

12:38 p.m. on December 26, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

MikeyBob, if ya go with the Soloist take the spork(collapsing) that comes with it and use it to practice your curveball and throw it in the trash. 

Its garbage. I killed mine the first time out stirring mac n cheese.

Cool little design but not executed well imho.

Then again I didn't buy the set for the spork so it was no biggie. 

If you are looking for a cool little spork check out the MSR folding spork:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/msr/folding-spork/

You can even be super cool and get the orange one that matches the handles on the GSI stuff.

Nothing more important than color coordinating right?

Its an exquisite utensil. I actually don't use mine. I use a stick. I just take the spork out, unfold it, and stare at it while I have oatmeal running down my sleeve with a stick in my mouth. 

I put the spork close in direct view while I eat. The craftsmanship and attention to detail is breathtaking.

I just get all warm and fuzzy inside when I see my spork.  

I guess it is also a plus that it fits in the pot with all of the other goodies no problem when you are in transit. 

:)

12:52 p.m. on December 26, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I just tested boiling 32 oz of water (more than my morning coffee) . Anyways it took 7m32s. Thats at room temp. My morning coffee must be around 24 ozs.

I think that Clickstand would be a very nice system. But I would still use a 8 panel windscreen with it. The paneled windsceen it will fit any pot or pan that you have.

1:00 p.m. on December 26, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
61 forum posts

Yes, that BRS 8-panel windscreen looks pretty sweet and both big and versatile enough to fit a larger pot.  MikeyBob365 the OP might also consider a larger pot for efficient fuel use, which would fit the Trangia windscreen too. 

For the record I had misspelled Clikstand - that's the correct spelling and I do like how it flattens down for packing and weighs almost nothing.

3:37 p.m. on December 26, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

after reading mike's statement on wider pots being better than narrow pot, I thought about it and it makes sense! also, many said the trangia shoots flames up very high, so I decided that it would just be safer to have a wider pot. I appreciate it mike!!

I picked up the MSR Kettle, I feel like it should do everything I need it to, I can strain it easily with the lid, pour out grits, etc, etc... It make be a burden to clean here and there, but I've got nothing but time!

phraber, does the Clikstand work for the Mini-Trangia?

rick, I LOVE my collapsing spork from my minimalist! I never use it til its in my mug though! The fry-bake has instructions everywhere "ONLY USE METAL UTENSILS!" so that kind of kept me from using it anywhere with the stove. If I ever get rid of the sport (or if it finally fails on me like everyone else) I kinda wanna try them $30 chopsticks.... try those yet rick?

4:24 p.m. on December 26, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I actually haven't used the chopsticks... Yet. :)

The spork actually just snapped in half when I was eating lol. Oh well, plenty of sticks around.

4:54 p.m. on December 26, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

The MRS kettle. You must go solo alot. The only negitive I could see is that the handles might get hot. And the stove/ Clikstand might not fit inside.

I have had my stove shoot a flame once or twice. But it was a result of it overheating. I was using a small windscreen/pot stand that traped to much heat. Not enough airflow. Since I've gotten my system I have had no problems at all. Thats one of the reasons I asked about the airflow under the stove with the clikstand.

Yes the Clikstand will work. This is the first time I've even seen the thing and I must say, I'm impresed! Mind you I'm extreamly proud of my system. And I feel that it is the very finest stand and windscreen for that stove. But I might get a run for my money with the Clikstand.

I use a Lite my fire spork. $30 for chopsticks!? Youve got to be kidding! They make cheaper ones you know. I should pick up a set. I eat alot of stir fry and currys on the trail. Thats why I carry a rather large cookset.

A good hint for cooking with your stove. Presoak the food before you cook. You will use alot less fuel.

7:56 p.m. on December 26, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

I don't go solo, I just cook solo when I go out with the climb team... they're idea of gourmet food while camping is sausages on a stick, bah-hum-bug!

alright, so whatever I do get a little airflow going underneath, I will be sure to do that!

And yeah 30 bucks! its snow peaks chopsticks... I think its like how almonds got marketed, raise the price and make it so its a luxury item!

http://www.amazon.com/Carry-on-Chopsticks-by-Snow-Peak/dp/B0036Z3YYU

8:52 p.m. on December 26, 2011 (EST)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

Rick you do know you need to cook that squirrel before you use the spork on it, right??!! :D

$30.00 Cop Stickes!!!  You know that's why God invented sticks right!!  :D (Or just grab a few from your local Asian take out store, or Safeway.)

OK on to the OP,

I am with Mike, I like wider pans then the tall narrow ones.  Also I made my own wind screen out of some old flashing, but the heavy aluminum trays you can by in the grocery store works good to.  You just want to leave about a 1/2" gap between the pan and the wind screen.  If you leave it in a semicircle then you should be able to make it fit any size pot.  (Don't connect the ends, leave it lose to make it adjustable.)  Do a search on Youtube and you should find lots of examples on making one. I use white gas and have not melted it yet, and that's way hotter then alcohol. 

Wolfman

12:37 p.m. on December 27, 2011 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Oh come'on, the Soloist spork is a great lttle tool for jamming under the skin at the top of your thumbnail! Never used it for more than stirring coffee, kept it in the kit as a backup untill my last trip. One to many times that little thing bit me, its now hangin out at the local landfill.

I might pay some crazy $$ for some gear but $30 chopsticks?!

+1 on the MSR folding utensills, nice long handles

July 28, 2014
Quick Reply