Any new gear from Santa?

4:25 p.m. on December 26, 2011 (EST)
36 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Well, Xmas is over so did anyone get any new gear?

Got the following:

-MTN Hardwear Draco Jacket.

-Couple of EB First Ascent Cloud Layer fleeces (got these these on the 26th with a gift card. They were $20.00+ an extra 15% off if you bought them before noon, killer deal!)

-First Ascent Ski Cap

5:50 p.m. on December 26, 2011 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,280 forum posts

My brother got me some Crown Royal Black label!  I will have to assemble a team and schedule a trip soon to test this fine product.

Ed

5:50 p.m. on December 26, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
803 reviewer rep
503 forum posts

Wetfire firestarter, Northface sweatshirt, Esbit stove and a Marmot soft shell jacket (M3), Grey Goose vodka for martinis.

6:30 p.m. on December 26, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

As funny as it sounds our family got garbage service for Christmas.

Woohoo! No more trips to the dump.

We have decided to wait a few weeks to buy new gear and such because we will have the money then to get what we want.

I am getting some new wool mid layers, a new bivy, and a new ID poncho.

Mike G.

6:45 p.m. on December 26, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Three wool mid layers

Two Wigwam socks

And a Complete guide to  Oregon coastal and coastal range trails! :)

6:56 p.m. on December 26, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Chia Cat Grass...

Thats gotta count for something right?

7:21 p.m. on December 26, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Rick, you are getting a new bridge in a week. Last year Rita got a Chia cat! LOL. I PIFed it to your family. Merry Christmas. :)

They still owe a PIF!

7:35 p.m. on December 26, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

mikemorrow said:

Rick, you are getting a new bridge in a week. Last year Rita got a Chia cat! LOL. I PIFed it to your family. Merry Christmas. :)

They still owe a PIF!

Lol, thanks Mike, Jynx n Bella appreciate it. :)

7:45 p.m. on December 26, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
973 reviewer rep
598 forum posts

Woolpower lite top, woolpower 200g bottoms, woolpower helmet cap, smartwool phd socks, olympus indestructable camera, MEC gift card, SOG shovel. Its been a good year! My girl knows what I like, that and I made a list ......  :)

9:08 p.m. on December 26, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hey Jake, how is that shovel? I am actually looking to snag one up...

Then again I am also lookin for snow.

10:01 p.m. on December 26, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,297 forum posts

I ended up with a pretty good haul this year. Ragg wool fingerless gloves, marmot stretch wrist gaitors, 2 pairs smartwool socks, $50 cabelas gift card, $50 REI gift card, and an Iphone 4.

9:54 a.m. on December 27, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
973 reviewer rep
598 forum posts

Shovel is good looking Rick. Havn't had a chance to test it out yet obviously. From an intial standpoint, it is solid, quite sturdy and folds up real small. The shovel head also has a serrated edge which can, in an emergency, be used to saw wood. With that strength though comes some extra weight and the head isn't overly large. I'll post some photos for you later on with the new camera, as for now I'm off to the in-laws! I feel like this could be a day like leadbellys alligator belt thread..........

10:37 a.m. on December 27, 2011 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,325 reviewer rep
1,206 forum posts

My daughter learned that people are now making "survival" bracelets out of parachute cord and selling them at sporting goods stores:

http://www.amazon.com/Para-Survival-Bracelet-Olive-Small/dp/B0036BCJXQ

So she was able to put her bracelet-making skills to use with some of Dad's parachute cord (550 cord to you vets) and made us all one for Christmas, even the dog got one.

If you don't have a crafty daughter, there are videos online how to make them.  One can never have too much para-cord. 

6:20 p.m. on December 27, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

ENO DoubleNest with SlapStraps, Brunton Compass, REI Sahara converitble pants, New pocket knife.

Looking at nabbing either an Osprey Manta 25, or Talon 22 as a late gift to myself ;)

8:55 p.m. on December 27, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,470 forum posts

My friend crocheted me a Balclava; I got a $150.00 REI gift card; I got a Specialized Sirrus Sport road bike, seat pack, tire tools, frame pump; I got some perma-loft booties for evenings after the hike;

OFF the gear list I also got Mommy Dearest, two MidNight Movies with Debbie Reynolds; A HORRIBLE Torrie Spelling movie to laugh at because it had Gary Coleman and My Man Shatner in it too!

10:49 p.m. on December 27, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

Woolpower and Brynje tops.

4:41 a.m. on December 28, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

rag wool fingerless gloves that turn into mittens. OR Mutant mittens and liners. Base layers crew top and bottoms. New winter blue pad.

11:25 a.m. on December 28, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I got:

>Four Snow Peak titanium mugs (My wife and her mom didn't know they got the same thing :)

> STS ultralight aluminum utensil set

>Icebreakers liner gloves

>Darn Tough Hiking Socks 

>Mary Jane's Farm food

11:33 a.m. on December 28, 2011 (EST)
53 reviewer rep
135 forum posts

My girlfriend offers me and Integral design southcol bivy bag. I don't have it yet but should receive it on friday.

1:55 p.m. on December 29, 2011 (EST)
7 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

MLD Superlight Bivy with cuben bottom.  XL size so I can use my neoair without compressing my sleeping bag.

2:00 p.m. on December 29, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I bought myself a bunch of Xmas presents(some early lol.)

Does that count?

11:33 p.m. on December 29, 2011 (EST)
45 reviewer rep
27 forum posts

Eureka Spitfire 1 tent and footprint.

2:16 a.m. on December 30, 2011 (EST)
34 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

I bought myself a REI Half Dome 2 Plus tent with a 30% off coupon and a new pair of La Sportiva Pamir boots on eBay. I'm happy.  ; )

9:51 a.m. on December 30, 2011 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,325 reviewer rep
1,206 forum posts

Rick said:

I bought myself a bunch of Xmas presents(some early lol.)

Does that count?

I must admit that I too bought myself the locking biners and dynex sling (48") that I needed for this Spring.

Should I feel guilty? I never trust family to buy the gear I need/want.  I'd rather they just get me something generic or make a charitable donation in my name to show their love.  Plus, they will probably over-pay or get the wrong model/size so its safer, I like to get the specialized stuff myself. 

10:40 a.m. on December 30, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

yeah, the more technical or specialized something is, the more likely I am to just get it myself. Even if they have the most earnest intentions, someone without the knowledge of "what and why" is almost always not going to get the ideal item. 

However, I am a HUGE fan of Amazon wish lists. It is so blinking easy, you can put anything on it from anywhere on the we (amazon doesn't have to carry it). It completely takes the guess work out of the buying process for family. Unless they decide to ignore what's on it, which happens. I make sure I have lots of things that are inexpensive and mid range priced to remove budgetary concerns. 

I have an enormous family, and most of then use amazon as well, which makes Christmas and birthday shopping so much less of a headache.  

12:20 p.m. on December 30, 2011 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Tarptent Notch

Hyperlite Mountain Gear Porter Pack

2:30 p.m. on December 30, 2011 (EST)
34 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

gonzan said:

yeah, the more technical or specialized something is, the more likely I am to just get it myself. Even if they have the most earnest intentions, someone without the knowledge of "what and why" is almost always not going to get the ideal item. 

However, I am a HUGE fan of Amazon wish lists. It is so blinking easy, you can put anything on it from anywhere on the we (amazon doesn't have to carry it). It completely takes the guess work out of the buying process for family. Unless they decide to ignore what's on it, which happens. I make sure I have lots of things that are inexpensive and mid range priced to remove budgetary concerns. 

I have an enormous family, and most of then use amazon as well, which makes Christmas and birthday shopping so much less of a headache.  

I'll have to remember the Amazon wish list next year when my girlfriend tells me, yet again, that she has no idea what to get for me!

3:50 p.m. on December 30, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
973 reviewer rep
598 forum posts

CWF- are you gonna post some pics/ initial thoughts on the notch? I, for one, would love to hear some opinions on it.

7:04 p.m. on December 30, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,242 reviewer rep
257 forum posts

FlexTrex Tubbs snoeshoes!  Alas, I have gone to Rainier twice, and carried them both times...who would've thought we would be competing for the driest December on record??

AND ... Klymit's X-frame sleeping pad!  I am really excited to give that a go...

Got my husband fingerless flip mittens so he can run his camera in the cold. He loved them!

My daughter is geology major, so she will be doing lots of field work; we got her the same MSR Windpro stove that we have.  She loves the stove, and was pretty excited to add to her collection of good gear :)

Btw, Merry (belated) Christmas, and wishes for a blessed New Year!

12:28 a.m. on December 31, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Some Skippy Peanut Butter.  Those calories will keep me warm.

12:57 a.m. on December 31, 2011 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
692 forum posts

Jake W said:

CWF- are you gonna post some pics/ initial thoughts on the notch? I, for one, would love to hear some opinions on it.

Sure - I can do that.

I am 6'1" and 215 and there is both sufficient length and width for me, 2.5" sleeping pad, and Long quilt.  A lot of headroom and no rubbing against the inner tent.  Think MSR Hubba height and length with noticeably more width at the sides.  

Sets up very quickly.  I haven't timed myself but from sack to set up can't take more than a minute and a half.

Bathtub floor very tall.

Two doors and two vestibules will provide some serious ventilation.

Sets up outer fly first which is a nice change for an UL tent as is the double walled structure.

It sets up with 4 pegs and the ridgeline between the two poles is very tight - no sag - and as such, the tent is very solid in pitch.

26.4oz on my scale in the sack with the 4 pegs.

Quality is good for such a light shelter.  Not sure I would seek a camping spot high above treeline (the Akto would be better here, for example), but for everything else the design should work wonderfully.

It feels more like a tent than a tarp and should provide the benefits as such.

I would prefer a larger stuff sack.  That would be the only negative at this point.

10:08 a.m. on January 4, 2012 (EST)
227 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

A few things:

North Face Meso 2 tent.

Black Diamond Orbit Lantern (bright little thing)

$50 Campmor gift certificate.

A cool book about ruins in my area.

Appalachian Trail DVD. It has more than being about "trail culture" than other docs I have seen about the AT, which is nice. 

11:35 a.m. on January 4, 2012 (EST)
15 reviewer rep
30 forum posts

Santa dropped off some trail books for my next excursion:    

* Triumph and Tragedy - The Life of Edward Whymper

* Norman Clyde: Legendary Mountaineer of California's Sierra
Nevada

* Psychovertical - Andy Kirkpatrick

* The Villain: A portrait of Don Whillans 

August 1, 2014
Quick Reply