Great night to take a test run if your due.

11:22 p.m. on January 3, 2012 (EST)
60 reviewer rep
115 forum posts

Finally have a little winter happening here in the Northeast in addition to some meteor showers.  I figure its a good night to test out my winter sleeping kit as its forecast for 5 below tonight and I don't know if I still sleep as warm as I did last year.  Plus to keep it interesting there's the Quadrantids happening from about 2 to 4 a.m. This shower is one of the year’s most active, with perhaps 80 to 100 meteors per hour at its peak. The peak lasts only an hour or two, however, so the viewing window is brief. The Moon sets by around 3 a.m., leaving a few hours of unobstructed viewing before dawn.

I'll be trying out the Big Agnes insulated air core and keeping my z rest around to throw in the mix and see how it goes.  I use a Kelty -15 600 down bag from the 1990's that still lofts like a cloud and has had me sweating at -20 in the past, coming off a fresh washing I am confident I'll be sweating again tonight.  

Hope some of you can get out and enjoy the night sky tonight one way or another.  A hot tub comes to mind as an alternate source of outdoor heat.  Unfortunately I don't have one.  

Sweet Dreams TS

November 28, 2014
Quick Reply