3 to 4 season sleeping bag for tall guy

7:55 a.m. on January 4, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Hi, please excuse my bad english- I am from Germany and need your help.

I need a warm sleepingbag for wet and cold conditions. I found Western Mountaineering bags, they seem perfect for me. They sell bags up to 7 feet length, that my size. I am over 6.6 feet tall, so maybe any suggestions?

Are there any brands except Western Mountaineering which offer long bags?

Thanks for your help, a happy new year and hello from North Germany:))

8:36 a.m. on January 4, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
913 forum posts

I can't really give advice on the bag, but things that will help the knowledgeable guys are how cold and how wet?  Where will you use this bag? Why is it wet, snow, rain, river crossing? 

Other bag brands to look at are Valandre and Feathered Friends.

9:06 a.m. on January 4, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Guten tag, Nordlandreisender! Willkommen in Trailspace! We're glad to have you as a member. You'll be able to find lots of great info on sleeping bags, with plenty of direct advice.  I would also suggest checking out some of the past discussions on the topic, as there is great info there.  Here are a few of those: 

http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2011/06/20/lightweight-backpacking-sleeping-bag-makeover.html

http://www.trailspace.com/articles/sleeping-bags.html

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/gear-selection/topics/112760.html

As i do not know all the brands and products available to you in Deutschland, I won't attempt to make specific suggestions.  Ocala's questions will definitely help us give the best advice. The first thing to consider is what the conditions will be. If you have a good tent and the experience to ensure you can keep your gear dry, a high fill-power down bag is going to serve you well. If there is a good chance of moisture getting to your bag, then a good quality Synthetic one might be the best option. 

10:37 a.m. on January 4, 2012 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

I have a friend who is about your size here in Vancouver, BC, Canada. It tends to get a little cold and wet here and much of the province is still very wild and remote, so, an equipment problem can be a major issue. I have had quite a number of sleeping bags and spent many nights in harsh weather in them.

So, I think that my friend's choice of bag is ideal for guys your size for almost all uses short of real sub-zero conditions. He uses a Western Mountaineering Bristlecone and I suggest that you buy one of these as it will meet your needs.

Western Mountaineering bags are among the very best available, I had one and think that there are only two makers whose bags may be a bit superior and that may just be my subjective opinion. I would never hasitate to buy a WM bag and I think that you would be very happy with one.

10:42 a.m. on January 4, 2012 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

I am tall (6'7") and am currently using a REI Solar Pod 25 degree bag that is just long enough for me. I have had the same problem finding long enough bags for over 30 years.

3:40 p.m. on January 4, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

I want to say "thanks a lot" for your welcome and your useful answers. As

I have friends in USA I could avoid the shipping restriction(like North Face etc.) Western Mountaineering i know the brand, but veeery expensive, though very good and up to 7" length.

Gary, I will look on REI as you suggested. All people a good and happy 2012 with many interesting outdoor trips:)))

3:49 p.m. on January 4, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Hi Ocola,

I want a new bag for cold and rainy weather in Germany and Sweden as well until late August/September. So the bag should keep me warm until 0 degrees Celsius or a little less. For severe winter conditions I use my Joutsen down bag.

3:40 p.m. on January 6, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
167 forum posts

here you go tall guys. i just ran across this on ebay, camp 7 down bag. it is not mine and i don't know the seller. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300645459287&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

happy trails and best of luck

December 17, 2014
Quick Reply