Gaiterwraps

9:34 p.m. on January 7, 2012 (EST)
299 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

I would like to know if anyone has used this product, this is a link

http://www.gaiterwraps.com/case-study.html

I feel this is another product that maybe to good to be true., but at the same time keep sand, mud and snow out of my boots.  I have been looking at OR gaiters just would like some input.

Thanks Mike

9:52 p.m. on January 7, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

These seem like they would be a good choice for general use gaitors, however, not sure how they would be for snow or even rain for that matter. I wasn't able to get sound on the video... what are these made out of? neoprene?

I personally have OR croc gaiters and really like them for winter use. The rest of the year I don't really have a need for gaiters.

10:55 p.m. on January 7, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

I'm not sure I would over-think something as simple as gaiters.  I have OR low gaiters and they work fine.

10:52 a.m. on January 8, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
827 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

If they are neo's they won't breathe.  I have the OR Verglas gaiters and they are touted as breathable but I find condensation still builds up in them.

1:12 p.m. on January 8, 2012 (EST)
299 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

Thanks for the input, I think I will get the OR.  I went hiking near TJ and IB in San Diego County, and the sand does cause some problems, but the mud is much bigger problem and just thought it would be nice to take off the gaiters before going home and not have a big mess in the truck.

Mike

8:11 p.m. on January 8, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
61 forum posts

They sure seem to go on more quickly than any gaiters I've ever seen. The guy in the video would do well to send you a pair to review...

11:13 p.m. on January 8, 2012 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,393 forum posts

Several questions arise on looking at the video and scanning back and forth to see what is going on. Note that when he shows putting them on, they completely cover his socks (or else he is wearing black socks). A few seconds later, his white sock tops are showing. He wades through the stream with the white sock tops showing, but says no water got in. Oh? Not even any wicking down the socks (note that his feet get submerged above the tops of the socks, which extend a couple inches above the gaiterwraps).

The idea of a wrapped gaiter (though not neoprene) goes back to the doughboys in WWI and I think back to the late 19th Century (I seem to recall some photos of the British soldiers in the Boer War wearing a wrapped legging).

They do appear to go on easily. I think they would be good for hiking in tick country, if the pants legs were included in the wrap. And if they placed to cover the top of the cocks, I can see that they would probably do a better job of keeping dirt and sand out of the shoes than something like the OR ankle gaiters. I wonder how they are for low top trail running shoes. I would think you would need some kind of arch strap to hold the edges down below the edge of the ankle opening of low top shoes.

Be interesting to check out in person, though I agree with Rob that they may well be overly hot during warm weather, especially if it is humid.

12:21 p.m. on January 9, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I was in REI a few days back purchasing a pair of gaiters for the trip I am currently on being the ones I have won't fit over my leg brace.

I noticed while rummaging through their selection that REI has an Event model in their line-up and if I remember correctly its under 40 bucks.

May be worth a looksy.

Ok, enough from me back to the trail I go.

10:16 p.m. on January 9, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
61 forum posts

mountain light Rick? www.rei.com/product/812395/rei-mountain-light-gaiters

4:37 a.m. on January 10, 2012 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

I find none of the current offerings appeal to me.  In general they don't breathe.  I also don't like the closure systems; not ergonomic at all.  If you can imagine your right foot standing on a clock with toes pointed towards12:00, the closure on that gaiter runs up from1:30, which is much easier to access, while not quite as vulnerable to infiltration as the closure on gaiters that run up from12:00.  I also prefer zippers that zip down to close, with zipper flaps that snap in place.  I have a seamstress fabricate gaiters to my specs.  The cost is on par with the top end prices of store bought counterparts. My dry application gaiters are 100% canvas, similar to long WW2 leggings.  For snow and ice the materials are Dacron topped gaiters with mid-weight nylon shoe coverings, and cordura or ballistic material along instep for protection again ski edges and crampons.

I don't use gaiters for the rain, because my feet sweat so much I doubt I gain anything in that regard; in any case I wear WP hard shell pants that cover my boot tops. 

Ed

8:04 p.m. on January 15, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I have tree sets of gaiters. The "name" stuff everyone gets. Other than the low-cut, "bug-off" pair, I am NOT impressed. Sweat and condensation.

Will be going for a pair of the UK-made Ventile gaiters, come Spring. About $60 a pair.

Oh, well ....

If they perform as well as my Ventile jacket, I'll be a "happy camper".

~ r2 ~

12:53 p.m. on January 16, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Lets see, I have a pair of OR Crocs that my wife will now use because as previously mentioned they won't fit over my leg brace.

The next pair I use ar the OR Salamanders. They are a lower cut gaiter. I like them for summer use with shorts. The thing I am not so keen on is that they have a rigid section in the forefoot area of the gaiter. I could see the potential of where they could cause a synthetic boot to abrade over time from the molded form that covers the forefoot rubbing the forefoot of the boot over prolonged time/use.

(see pics below:)

2011-06-06_17-34-50_557.jpg

DSCI1273.jpg

SL-w-Gaiters-003.jpg

Then for my recent trip I once again went on the search for a new pair of gaiters that are a higher cut.

I ended up going with MH's Ascent Stretch Air Permeable Gaiters.

I like these for snow alot. They are waterproof on the frontside of the gaiter but the back is a stretch material that breathes very well. I see no note of the backside being waterproof but water does bead and roll off of this area.

LHHT-January-2012-005.jpg

LHHT-January-2012-023.jpg

So far I am satisfied with them for snow, etc. Like I said they are a little larger to accommodate a leg brace on my right leg. 

...As Bill has stated above I am a bit confused with the water crossing thing with the tops of the socks being exposed and no wetness reported. 

Logically, it just doesn't make sense to me. 

1:03 p.m. on January 16, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

phraber said:

mountain light Rick? www.rei.com/product/812395/rei-mountain-light-gaiters

I could have sworn I noticed $39+ attached to them but they may very well be the model ya posted above. I was in a rush so there really wasn't much time for me to browse the candy aisles. 

2:53 p.m. on January 16, 2012 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

looks like a neoprene knee brace from the drug store.

6:02 p.m. on January 16, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,518 forum posts

Sage: I was thinkin the same thing.....I'll just pull my knee braces down over my boots if need be.

11:47 p.m. on January 16, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
827 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

I have OR Verglas gaiters and eventhough they are marketed as breathable they are not that great. They, however, do a great job of keeping snow out of the boots. So in colder conditions I haven't experienced breathability issues with them. I think they are better than wearing neoprene wrapped around your leg.

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply