Vintage Relco Bobby Ventile Jacket

7:02 p.m. on January 9, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Hi Everyone, i am trying to find info about this jacket, under google the only link or mention to this brand is directed back to this site in one of the forums.

IMG_3236.jpg

IMG_3219.jpg

It is a ventile Relco Bobby jacket i assume from the late 1960s early 1970s, if anyone has any info about this brand it would be highly appreciated, 

Thanks

Tim

Ps. Inside the pockets there was also some well worn Hungarian pig skin mitts!

8:46 p.m. on January 9, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Hang onto that Ventile jacket, and cherish it!

I do mine. Wore it today in the Black Hills of South Dakota, as the weather was relatively mild.

Far,far, and away, much preferred over anything Gore-Tex. Read up on Ventile. Scant info available, but you can get a good overview.

~~ r2 ~~

10:15 p.m. on January 9, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Thanks Robert, i picked it up here in NZ for $8nz, shame it is summer here at the moment really want to wear it! Do you know any info on "Relco Bobby" as a brand, is it anything to do with "Bobby Sportswear" who made similar anoraks ? the bits of info i have found say they are good quality jackets, and i saw one had sold on ebay a few years back for $233 US, but thats it in terms of info!

11:54 p.m. on January 9, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

No. Not familiar with the "Relco Bobby" brand.

Just about ANYTHING made with Ventile is expensive. For example, a Ventile parka (down stuffed) that is a replica of that worn by Sir Edmund Hillary and Tensing Norgay on the first successful Everest assent, made by Nigel Cabourn of the U.K., will cost you $2000 USD.

I can only guess you have stumbled upon a valuable and useful piece of gear.

Compare to the U.K. made "Barbour" brand, of which I have a few pieces in my Autumn and Winter kit.

Hope you can soon reap the benefits of your fortuitous score!

~~ r2 ~~

12:13 p.m. on January 10, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
708 reviewer rep
872 forum posts

welsh, Relco Sportswear was based, and I think, still based in London. They made anoraks and jackets out of ventile that were sold at REI as early as 1963 and probably earlier. I believe they were a division of Relco Clothing. I did track down someone who says he is a contact for the latter, posted below.

info@englandinjune.co.uk

6:27 p.m. on January 10, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Hi Erich thanks for that ive just sent him an email now, i had seen somewhere that REI had sold them in the 1960s thats how i gathered the dates, but not any solid info anywhere online so hopefully he can help!

Thanks

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply