Sorel Conquest Snow Boots

7:27 p.m. on January 12, 2012 (EST)
36 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Hi all,

Well winter is finally arriving in Chicago and am looking to upgrade my snowboots.

Was looking at the Sorel Conquest Snowboot and was wondering if these are pretty solid boots for everyday use as well as some camping.
P11613354.jpg

4:05 a.m. on January 21, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

I can't speak to that particular boot but, I have two pair of Sorels, my girlfriend has one, and we have NEVER been disappointed with Sorel......I think they are a tough looking boot.

7:52 a.m. on January 21, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,319 forum posts

I personally prefer a slip on boot for winter backpacking. Easy on and off with cold hands, no laces to mess with, wont freeze to the point where you cant get your feet back in, more waterproof due to no lacing seams.

You have to make sure they fit you well or they can plague you with blisters. I use the TNF Arctic pull ons. That being said, i would take a look at columbia bugaboots? think that is the name, have heard alot of great things about them and they are budget friendly. My wife has a pair and really likes them.

2:33 p.m. on January 21, 2012 (EST)
36 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Well I bit the bullet and got the Sorels the other day which was perfect timing because we had a pretty decent storm here in Chicago last night (plus they were on sale at REI for $90.00). Normally I wear a 10.5 shoe but got an 11 to be safe.

Really good fit, very warm, and not too heavy. Have some friends who own Sorels and swear by them as well so it was kind of a no brainer. Was out shoveling this morning and was really happy with them.

BTW I did check out the Columbia Bugaboo boots and they seemed nice but really did not like the colors available (vain I know). They do feature that "Omni Heat" tech which is supposed to reflect body heat but not sure if that's just a gimmick or if that tech actually works. Plus they were a bit more expensive then the Sorels.

I also own a pair of North Face Back-To-Berkeley boots which are pretty nice as well. Great for light snow fall and day hikes. Their made of Balistic Nylon and are pretty light.
8297959.jpg

4:25 p.m. on January 21, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
594 forum posts

Rambler,

I'm with you, for snow I like pull-on boots that are high, light, and fit over my pants legs. These Sorels are about ten years old, but the rubber is still good and they fit well on both foot and calf. In the Maritimes these are still called Wellies or gumboots, but they are rather upscale for that designation. :) The lugs are excellent on ice as well.

SorelPacMS1000px671.jpg

9:40 p.m. on January 22, 2012 (EST)
153 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Also a Chi-towner who needs good gear for snowy days, volunteer emergency call out work, and winter camping. I have Sorels (2-pair) and a nice Baffin pack boot but for good walking around, winterproof boots, I love my Keen Summit County.  Very Warm, roomy toe box, EZ to lace and fits well for hiking or walking from Union Station.   Claims -35 degrees but I doubt it. Definately good for 15-20 degrees and walking. No removable inner boot so sub zero winter camping, a pack boot like Baffin allows me to pull the inner and sleep with them. Also, if I'm just standing in 0 degrees or below, I'm in my Baffin Impact, but if I am walking around and it is above 15 degrees, I cannot recommend the Keen Summit more.   YES, get a size too big and wear polypro liner with a warm smart wool outer sock.

November 24, 2014
Quick Reply