About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Iodine water purification banned in Europe?

9:08 a.m. on January 17, 2012 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,679 reviewer rep
1,138 forum posts

http://backpackbasecamp.com/basecamp/blogengine.net/post/2009/06/26/Iodine-Water-Treatment-Banned-in-Europe3b-Alternative-Water-Purification-Methods.aspx

Is iodine really that bad for you?

I have used these tablets on several extended hikes w/o any ill effects.  Supposedly though they are unhealthy to use for more than a couple of weeks. 

Have any of you ever had any side-effects from purifying water with iodine tablets?

Jeff

6:01 p.m. on January 19, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

I have used them for around 30 years and have not had any side affects. Probably most I used was about 24 tablets in a weeks time. Than probably none for a few weeks. Total around 80 tablets in a year.

I do wonder if you took them for a extended amount of time I could see how maybe it would overload the system. Thats speculation on my part,with no learned background to say either way.

5:44 p.m. on January 20, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
21 forum posts

It's very possible to develop a serious iodine allergy as a result of using iodine tablets to purify water (especially if you use them for a prolonged period of time). Since chlorine dioxide tablets are even more effective as water purifiers than iodine (they'll kill Cryptosporidium, which iodine won't) and they don't carry the allergy risk, it makes sense to stop using iodine as a water purification method.

12:20 p.m. on January 22, 2012 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

They were turning yellow

April 24, 2014
Quick Reply