Price Drops?

8:10 p.m. on January 29, 2012 (EST)
9 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

I've noticed many outdoor online shops like Moosejaw, REi, Backcountry.com, etc, all seems to have significant price drops on really nice tents.  I'm just curious if this is normal to try to pave the way for the spring market which are probably being shipped out now.  I'm in the market for a new 3-4 season tent.  I drool over the new technology that always comes out.  Just wondering if I should hold off for another month (or maybe less) to see whats in store for 2012.  I've gone on the websites such as Big Agnes, Nemo, nothing really all that new unless they are holding off to release the new stuff?

12:13 a.m. on January 30, 2012 (EST)
36 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

About this time of year most sporting good stores/websites need to make room for their Spring collections. Plus you factor in the unseasonable like winter most of the country has had. So the only way to make room in their inventory is to sell this stuff at massively reduced prices.

I've been getting emails from all the major sites like Altrec, REI, Moosejaw etc. about massive clearence sales. My advice would be if you see a great deal then jump on it. If you wait you run the risk that it may be sold out before you have a chance to grab it.

2:16 a.m. on January 30, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

End of the year clearance in the off season.  Not many people out there buying tents or other gear and like buffdaddy said they gotta make room.  Since they made so much money in the on season selling gear, they can afford to sell the leftovers at greatly reduced prices and still not loose money.  Even regarding used gear, I just picked up a 3 time used Hilleberg Keron 4 GT with an extra set of poles for $400 of of Criags list. 

skibum12 said:
"Just wondering if I should hold off for another month (or maybe less) to see whats in store for 2012."

If you wait for the 2012 stuff you'll pay the 2012 prices.

7:16 a.m. on January 30, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

You are absolutely correct. This time of year the stores are trying to clear out as much past year inventory as possible to make room for the new model tents. The new model tents have been out for a couple months typically, but spring time usually bring the most sales as people gear up for the warmer months.

You will find buying alot of items you need between the nov-feb time frame typically is filled with good deals and sales more often than not.

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply