Marmot Pinnacle Price

8:22 p.m. on January 29, 2012 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Dear Colleagues,

I am about to purchase a Marmot Pinnacle Sleeping bag.  I've heard and read nothing but great things about this piece of equipment.  However, I am curious as to the different price range from the dependable retailers we've all come to know and love.

REI has been my #1 favorite place to shop as there is an amazing retailer in the city in which I live.   However, their price listed is $100 more than Campmor.

So my question is simply this:  is there any difference in the specific Marmot Pinnacle Sleeping Bags at Campmor and REI?  Has there been some amazing upgrade to the Pinnacle that REI offers, that would justify one spending the additional $$$ at REI?

$379 vs. $279....I'm seriously stunned by this.

Any insight would be helpful.  I am NOT trying to be negative on REI.  As a member for years I will continue to spend my trekking and hiking and camping dollars there.  But for the Pinnacle?  Not so sure!

Thanks!

Scott S

9:18 p.m. on January 29, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,702 reviewer rep
1,338 forum posts

some places discount sleeping bags for one reason or another.  that bag's specs haven't changed over the past few years, so it shouldn't matter.  i purchased a winter down bag a while back for about 25% off retail, smaller retailer that probably wanted to move the merchandise.  

ps - campmor isn't alone discounting it.  outside outfitters and moontrail are selling the pinnacle for about the same price, maybe a little less than campmor.

9:21 p.m. on January 29, 2012 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Thanks, Leadbelly2550!  I appreciate your insight!

10:39 p.m. on January 29, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
913 forum posts

My guess is none also. What you're paying for is REI's buildings with all that inventory in them and their great return policy.

Other places to check are www.geartrade.com and www.departmentofgoods.com (department... is backcountry.com's outlet.  They have  an excellent return policy.)

11:17 p.m. on January 29, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
827 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

Moontrail. $269 long or regular

6:19 p.m. on January 31, 2012 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Ocalacomputerguy and rob5073:  I really appreciate your input as well.  I guess my understanding of REI has developed a bit.  They ARE truly an amazing store, and as I am a member, I'll keep shopping there for most of my backpacking needs.  But when it comes to the Marmot Pinnacle, ALL of the places you have mentioned, along with leadbelly's...are beneath REI's price on this.  I guess I've got a bunch of choices for that.

One additional question I'll toss out there - do any of you utilize the Sea to Summit stuff sacks, including for your sleeping bag?  I'll be trekking in India during the monsoon this summer, and though I'll have a good duffel, I want to be sure that my night gear stays dry!

6:28 p.m. on January 31, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

I have a 20L S2S event dry bag/compression bag that i really like. I use it to store my top and under quilts and my sleep clothes. But then again the dry bags from walmart probably work adequately enough. The only reason i got the s2s is because i had a $20 off coupon.

8:31 p.m. on January 31, 2012 (EST)
RETAILER
27 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

ALL marmot sleeping bags should be on sale right now, considering marmot has put all their stuff on sale on their own website.

11:40 p.m. on January 31, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
913 forum posts

I believe Patman uses S2S dry bags for all of his stuff.

10:36 a.m. on February 1, 2012 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

REI is very high priced.If their return policy is important to you then by all means purchase your bag there.How ever if,like most of us,you wish to stretch your dollars shop else were.I prefer to decide on what gear I am going to purchase then I look for the best price I can find.Remember Marmot has a very good warrenty and they will take care of you,as long as the gear is not abused.ymmv

4:47 p.m. on February 1, 2012 (EST)
RETAILER
27 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

I do recomend the Sea to Summit Evac Dry compression sacks for any down  bag also. Its well worth the investment.

6:05 p.m. on February 1, 2012 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,765 forum posts

Marmot also has excellent customer service.  I called them to get info on an old bag I was thinking of buying and the customer service rep not only got me the info I wanted, but found, scanned and emailed me the catalog pages with the bag on them from 1994. They will also clean and refill the down for a very reasonable price, so if at some point you need that, just call them.

8:21 p.m. on February 1, 2012 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Great to know.  Thanks, Friends!  I had to call Arcteryx once this past year, too, and they were top shelf as well.  I ended up utilizing my local REI because it was faster.  But they were willing to replace the whole jacket, lock, stock, and barrel for me.  I've always been impressed with Marmot as well.  Makes me glad to hear that you have had good experiences with them.  Also I appreciate your info on Sea to Summit Evac Dry sacks.  I have some other less pricey stuff sacks, but am thinking of spending a little more in case the monsoon really dumps on us this summer. 

This is a great forum with a ton of info.  Thanks again for your input, gentlemen! 

December 22, 2014
Quick Reply