Kayland Boots

6:30 a.m. on February 2, 2012 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Does anyone have experience with Kayland hiking boots?

My Merrill boots finally wore out after many, many years on the trail.  I have my eyes on the Kayland Vertigo Dual.  Just curious if you have any insights?

I know that Backpacker Magazine gave this a rave review recently.

Thanks!

10:59 a.m. on February 2, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
812 reviewer rep
552 forum posts

I purchased the Vertigo Lights because they were on sale at STP.  I got them for like $69.  Once I put them on however, I had to send them back.  Too narrow for my feet.  They were D width but they run narrow.  Really nice, lightweight hikers with the Vibram Mars sole.  The outer was a super tough ballistic nylon.  

4:14 p.m. on February 2, 2012 (EST)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

I got the globo nubuk and the comet and love them both. I have wide feet and find it hard to find a good fit, but they work great for me and my needs.

I know some kayland models are a tie narrower, can't say anything about eh vertigo dual - the vertigo high are mid fit.

in terms of how they feel - I think it's hard to bit kayland, and the same goes with the quality...so if it's not clear by now - I'm in love! try them out, I hope you will like them as much as I do!

8:47 p.m. on February 2, 2012 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,314 forum posts

Remember the basic thing about boots is that the fit is very personal. I tried one pair of Kaylands a few years ago and found the fit uncomfortable. Then again, Merrils don't fit me well, but Barb loves hers (she likes her Limmers much better, though).

Bottom line is to try them on in the store with the socks you intend using (NOT the store's sample socks, but your own socks), walk around the store for a half hour or so, preferably with a heavy pack, and see how they feel. If the shop has a good return policy, take them home and wear them around the house (on carpets) for a full day or two. If possible, go to a shop with an trained, experienced boot fitter and work with him/her. I might have been able to get my Kaylands to fit if I had a boot fitter at the time, but I was on a road trip and needed the boots right away. If I had been at home, I would have used Paul at Marmot Mountain Works (currently in the midst of closing shop, unfortunately, due to competition from internet stores and the 10 local REIs, leaving us with only one real mountaineering specialty shop in the SFBay Area), or the fitters I know in Boulder and SLC.

8:55 p.m. on February 2, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Also to add to the OGBO's post try your boots on towards the evening. Your feet will swell while you are on them on trail.

If you try your footwear on towards the evening when you have been on them for the day this should compensate for swelling while on trail.

Also if you use aftermarket footbeds/insoles/orthotics take them with you and place them in the footwear when you are trying them on.

This can alter the fit of a boot tremendously. 

As I have said in the past if the outfitter has an area that simulates terrain(some do) utilize it. 

If not use stairs and place your foot on the edge of the step midfoot and teeter a bit(think see-saw.)

This will give you a heads up on whether or not toe bang will be an issue and give you a heads up if you are going to have any other trouble like your foot shifting forward on descents. 

I personally have no experience with Kaylands other than what I have read and looking at them in the local shops.

The biggest thing is get a boot that fits you properly and does not turn your wheels into ground beef on trail.  

From what I see it looks as the the forefoot portion of this model is exposed EVA(spongy stuff.)

Now if this is the case EVA has a tendency over time to not rebound from wear. As it compresses it loses its rebounding capabilities over time which could mean that the boots will lose some of their comfort/impact absorption.

This is just a general observation I have noticed over the years from using boots that utilize this material in their construction.

This also has a bit to do with how long the boot will last but is primarily dependent upon your use of the footwear in the aspect of type of terrain(rock vs snow) and how often you are utilizing said footwear. 

As far as fit goes you could always shoot the manufacturer an email or call inquiring about the fit. 

KAYLAND USA, Novation North America, Inc., 55 Main Street, Unit 224, Newmarket, NH 03857
Tel:      (603) 292-6259  ; Fax: (603) 292-6754; e-mail: info@kaylandusa.com

5:19 a.m. on February 3, 2012 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

from my recent boot hunting experience - best thing you can do for yourself is find out where they are made.

If they are a product assembled in China, do not expect them to perform as advertised

6:59 p.m. on March 18, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

After years of screwing around with lots of brands for hiking/backpacking, I now ONLY wear Kayland Contact Revs.  I love these things.

7:04 p.m. on March 18, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

Oh btw, Kaylands are Italian, assembled in Bulgaria... go figger? Ha

9:40 p.m. on March 26, 2012 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Thanks for your input, Gentlemen!  Thanks for the specific personal review, Jad! 

11:50 p.m. on March 26, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

Yesterday I was at a local climbing shop and they said Kayland has decided not to sell their boots in the USA anymore.  Europe only.  Looks like it’s back to Scarpa’s for me.

11:52 p.m. on March 26, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

I really do prefer Italian boots, however particular models sometimes run narrow.  You really have to personally try them on with inserts and socks and afternoon swell.

October 24, 2014
Quick Reply